severe framerate lag every few seconds

Associate
I recently bought an XFX 6850, and a Coolermaster 500w psu. After installing them, I get severe framerate lag for about a second, every few seconds, in every game and blu ray playback.
I reinstalled windows, and updated all drivers, but the problem still persisted. So, I took out the card and replaced it with my old one, a 4850, and for most of the day everything seemed fine. Then late at night, the problem started up again, for a few minutes. Also, the other displays flicker, java crashes constantly, and the amd display driver crashed a lot.
I then reinstalled the new 6850, and instantly get the framerate issue, but so far no java or driver crashes. It might be the psu being faulty, but I don't have a spare powerful enough to test that, or a spare system to test the graphics card.

I don't really know what's going on here so any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Associate
OP
Thanks, I'll check out the drivers tonight, although I downloaded the latest from the xfx support site. Will these work with a 6850 though? I'll try the ram and checking the cables in the morning, and I did reinstall a fresh OS after getting the new components. Sadly didn't help.

Back
Top Bottom