Sexism at the Olympics

Soldato
Pretty sure the BBC received loads of complaints about how 'short' Helen Skelton's playsuit was whilst commentating on the swimming.

One it's a playsuit, so shorts. Not a skirt/dress. Two, there are dozens of athletes wearing swimsuits just behind her on screen...

Man of Honour
Eldest daughter had a friend, staunch feminist, my daughter is all for equality done properly, always says she is an 'equalist' which she gets from me. Her feminist friend became her ex friend because of the constant rants she had which equated to nothing more than her view that males should be subjugated into the same position women were in before equality came along.

Soldato
Sexism exists everywhere, it's bad and shouldn't happen. I'm usually one of the first to jump on and comment on sexism but in this case, i don't see any problems with the first three but the last one is debatable.

It looks as though it's a case of social controversy sells and people are trying to find any example possible that comes close to a controversial subject.

Caporegime
Eldest daughter had a friend, staunch feminist, my daughter is all for equality done properly, always says she is an 'equalist' which she gets from me. Her feminist friend became her ex friend because of the constant rants she had which equated to nothing more than her view that males should be subjugated into the same position women were in before equality came along.

Your daughter's a smart cookie. Shame there's not more like her!

Soldato
listening to the radio a few days ago, they were talking about sexism and women going to court over it. Seems you can't look at a girl/woman/female human without being called a sexist these days.

When you don't look at women they moan
When you do they moan

[sexism comment]Helen Skelton is a babe![/sexist comment]

Sorry I find women attractive, if that offends you, then I'm offended that you find it offensive.

Caporegime

Wonder if its possible that they realise eventually, men (and in virtue woman who aren't dumb) might get a little irritated and reverse the progress?

Probably not.

Soldato
I don't know why people take notice of silly articles like this anymore. It's clearly just trying to rile up people by being over-sensitive imo.

Caporegime

Subjugated, okay, can I have your daughters friends number(if she's crazy young, send it to me several years from now). I've been looking for a wife to go out to work while I stay at home and pay a nanny to look after the kids while I go out to brunch with my boys and day drink.

Seriously boys/girls is just more, friendly or affectionate, you go out with your boys, not your men. Where as women say "I'm going out with the girls", not "I'm going out with my women". Women use girls to men women, so men do to. Girlfriend, boyfriend, not women friend or man friend... because... that would be weird?

There are more situations in which we say mens rather than boys and I'm not sure why, but there are plenty of situations in which we still say boys. Are men being infantilised when women describe us as their boyfriends, or when they ask us if we're going out with the boys?

Associate
RE: 1.

Whilst a perfectly factual statement I do think its unfair, imagine getting to the top of your sport at the peak of your ability and be told in front of the world "and now you're nearly as good as a man!".

RE: 2. I think this is a reasonably fair comment tbh as it infers an equivalency

RE: 3. Out of order comment imo, in all the olympics footage I've watched I've never seen reference to the trainer being behind the success of the of any men, and while the comment could be perfectly legitimate as I'm sure trainers have a huge influence on the success of an athlete, if it's not mentioned for men then it shouldn't for woman. Could you imagine a commentator making the same statement about Phelps?

RE: 4, fair comment imo, there's plenty of times I've heard "our boys xxx" when referring to male sports teams etc, but then the context it's said in is important.

Whilst of course there are far far more important battles to be won in feminism/egalitarianism (don't start a debate) it's not exactly that much of a chore for us to take a moment to consider the language we use and if it has subtle tones of prejudice.

Last edited:
Soldato
Michael Phelps is arguably the most dominant and greatest olympian ever
Most 'decorated', perhaps... But I think he'd struggle against the likes of Polydeuces, Castor of Sparta, Acastus of Thessaly, Phalerus of Athens the champion archer of Greece, Euphemos of Taenarum, Spiros of Syracuse... and perhaps even Hylas... I'd even wager on a few of the women in the Hera Festival athletic contests!!

Yes, I've been watching Jason and the Argonauts! :p

Interestingly, I did notice an article crop up in one of my feeds, entitled: "How to talk about female Olympians without being a regressive creep – a handy guide"!!

I'm sure it's riveting...

Caporegime
RE: 3. Out of order comment imo, in all the olympics footage I've watched I've never seen reference to the trainer being behind the success of the of any men, and while the comment could be perfectly legitimate as I'm sure trainers have a huge influence on the success of an athlete, if it's not mentioned for men then it shouldn't for woman. Could you imagine a commentator making the same statement about Phelps?

One, the whole thing was a guy on NBC or something said, lets remember to give some credit to the husband blah blah blah, because the guy had done an interview with the swimmer in question who had said..... my husband gets a lot of credit as he's pushed me harder, etc.

The swimmer in question gave credit to how her husband has helped her change the way she trains and approaches her swimming, her results have changed significantly since then and some randomer decided to take offence for something they didn't know the swimmer herself was saying.

On the other part, sorry but in sport, worldwide including the olympics, football, tennis, commentators/pundits talk about coaches, managers, as do the players giving thanks to certain managers or coaches. If the coach had been female and turned around a man's performances so a female was given some credit from a pundit for said performance do you think the offended feminists would have a problem?

EDIT:- I was literally just watching the main coverage in which the Pinsent as the pundit was saying that the team and coaches behind the canoe/kayaking team deserve a huge amount of credit for Joe Clark's gold..... it happens literally constantly where everyone gives credit to the teams behind a competitor because without the support of those around them they wouldn't get close to where they are in most sports.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OffendMongs out in force again...

Warning: Large and Sexist:

AbGXqws.gif

Have I offended enough? :p

Caporegime
All of them are complete rubbish apart from the last one, i get the last one.

"What an incredible man, Usain Bolt wins the 100 & 200 metres again"

"What an incredible boy, Usain Bolt wins the 100 & 200 metres again"

It's just weird...

My Beautiful Boi!:p

(and Clare also calls him a boy)

Caporegime
I would say the terms girl and boy are used more affectionately when referring to our athletes. I have certainly heard "our boys" and "the boys" mentioned a number of times.

And "Boys team"/"Girls team" is used all over the place, from the olympics to a game at a party, no matter if the team is a bunch of 60 year old men.

That said, the comment in the OP appears to be taken out of context somewhat.

The Cambridge study also found that it's much more common for women to be referred to as "girls" than it is for men to be called "boys".

"Many commentators say 'girls' in sport even if they know they should say 'women'. This is because they think it's a trivial issue to do with political correctness and they forget in the heat of competition," says Woodward.

"But when you call a woman a girl you are actually infantilising her. A girl is a child. Women's bodies have long been infantilised in popular culture as youth is seen as attractive."

The bolded part is probably the most important bit.

There's also this just underneath

It's not just language where there is a difference in attitude - female Olympic athletes are still garnering far fewer column inches and given less TV airtime than their male counterparts. Researchers found men were mentioned twice as often in the CEC and three times more often in the Sports Corpus. When a sport was mentioned it was usually assumed that the report was about the men's game - so for example the media is inclined to refer to "women's football" and call men's football just "football".

"When we stop talking about women's sport and instead just recognise them as equal to the men and athletes in their own right we know we will have changed the terms of the debate," says The Fawcett Society's Sam Smethers.

More difficult one. One of the problems with female athletes is they just aren't the strongest, fastest (etc) person in their sport. Usually, if a sport is divided into male and female it's because one sex is more powerful/"better" than the other. The reason it's called women football is because its exclusively for women, whereas "Football" in most cases (olympics excluded, where it is called mens football) is unisex. If a woman was good enough to get into a premier league team then she could play with the men. Womens teams are inherently sexist, and are usually set up because they/most of them cannot get into the main teams.

It's the same with running, rowing and many other sports. The fastest/strongest are usually the men and studies have shown that both men and women are more interested in "mens" sports. Be that tennis or the 100m sprint (the latter tbh is the fastest person in the world, as men are faster).

I think a lot of women sports suffer from the paralympic effect. Most people are interested in the best person/team in that sport, and usually in the separated sports that best person is male. Yes you can divide it down by sex, how many limbs they have, or how well they can see, but the reality is the 100m sprint is designed to find the fastest person over that distance, and a woman or paralympian has never been the fastest person. Unfortunately, in most Olympic sports women truly aren't equal in their ability.*

All that said there are a number of truly dubious comments by commentators over the years, so there still is some sexism in the Olympics, even if the examples in the OP aren't great ones.

*Where they are, such as horse riding and shooting, the sport is not divided into male and female.

Last edited:
Caporegime
RE: 1.

Whilst a perfectly factual statement I do think its unfair, imagine getting to the top of your sport at the peak of your ability and be told in front of the world "and now you're nearly as good as a man!".

But she is not though is she. She isn't the fastest swimmer. She is the fastest female swimmer.

She is the fastest in her subsection of that discipline, but she was 9 seconds slower than Sun Yang, the mens winner and the person at the top of their sport.

It happens a fair amount in mens Tennis in general. Andy Murray's Trainer is regularly credited with him getting better/worse. Whether it happens in other sports I don't know as much as I don't watch as much (and haven't been able to see any of the olympic sports yet this year).

Caporegime
But she is not though is she. She isn't the fastest swimmer. She is the fastest female swimmer.

She is the fastest in her subsection of that discipline, but she was 9 seconds slower than Sun Yang, the mens winner and the person at the top of their sport.

It happens a fair amount in mens Tennis in general. Andy Murray's Trainer is regularly credited with him getting better/worse. Whether it happens in other sports I don't know as much as I don't watch as much (and haven't been able to see any of the olympic sports yet this year).

Almost every sport I've ever watched gives credit to people all over, as I was saying before in previous post, the pundits were giving the entire Canoeing setup huge credit for the Kayak guys gold. Happens constantly for almost every sport, basically only not in the ones that don't really have coaches outside of youth level.

Meh, I think the hilarious thing about the bolded part of your post before that one is that women are apparently upset that people use girls more often than boys but they want to be called women because that is somehow not at all anti feminist, using a word that has men in it. But I'm making that point for a reason not just a jab at daft feminists. This is actually likely the reason we use girls much more often than boys... it's just a better word. It's quicker, it sounds nicer and it doesn't have the word men/man within it. There is something much more feminine about the word girl than the word woman.

Soldato
The first two are daft because they're implying that being as good as/compared to men is a goal or some kind of achievement for Women, when all they're interested in is being the best in their sport, nothing to do with men so why do they keep up with the comparisons?

Personally it doesn't bother me one way or the other, but if I were an elite top level female athlete and a lot of commentators and pundits constantly kept giving me a "pat on the head" and telling me I was almost as good as the men it would probably rile me up a little bit.

Soldato

I just watched the womens sculls(?) (two in a skinny fast boat on flat water) and the women themselves spent a fair bit of time saying the result was all down to their coach over the last 4 years since their win at london.

Back
Top Bottom