SFF Linux server for files, http, remote access, caldav, mail, etc...

Sic

Sic

Soldato
I'm hoping I can get a pretty definite answer here, as my knowledge of hardware isn't what it used to be!

I'm looking to build a low-power, 24/7 server for all the things listed in the title, plus other admin-y things (maybe an itunes server if I can find a distro that will support it) but I don't know the first thing about hardware. I need as much space for data, and as much speed over a network as possible. I would be most grateful if someone could spec me the whole 9 yards for this (I did a search, but couldn't find something similar to my requirements, so apologies if this is something frequently asked!)

I'm looking to spend no more than £500 all-in. I would love a pretty case to put it in, as it's going in my lounge. I saw someone posted that fractal design thing, so if that or something equally pretty could be factored in, that would be immense.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Sic

Sic

Soldato
OP
K, so after a little mindless poking around, I've come up with this:

-- Corsair XMS3 TwinX 2GB (2x1GB) DDR3 PC3-10666C9 1333MHz Dual Channel Kit
-- Zotac H55ITX-A-E LGA1156 DDR3 miniITX Motherboard
-- Intel Core i3 530 2.93Ghz (Clarkdale) (Socket LGA1156) - Retail
-- Western Digital Caviar Green Power 1.5TB 64MB Cache Hard Disk Drive SATAII 300MB/s <8.9ms 7200rpm
-- Fractal Design Array Mini ITX NAS Case w/ 300W SFX PSU

Anything glaringly wrong with that or anything I can do better? Does anyone have an idea on a release date for that case/how much it might be?

Soldato
You don't need anything like that, an Atom is perfectly fine and if you go for an ION you can also add XBMC and have a lovely little HTPC to boot. There are off the shelf machines like the Acer Revo which will save you money over a self-build but they only take 2.5" drives so you'd need external storage; that could be viewed as being more flexible but it depends on your space requirements. For me as much space as possible is 6TB minimum.

Sic

Sic

Soldato
OP
Right now, I only have 1TB capacity in my house, so a 1.5TB drive is fine to start with. I'll be installing debian or ubuntu as it has to match or get close to the live servers I use for work. I don't have space to attach external drives, hence looking at cases like the lian-li q08 (when is this released?!) and the fractal - each bay will eventually be full.

From what I can see, an mITX board with 6 SATA headers is quite rare - the Zotac was the only one I could find that seemed reputable (i.e. a brand I'd heard of) which restricts my CPU choice somewhat, but the i3 530 has received good reviews from the sources I've read.

I guess I've just answered my own question there, haven't I?! Only thing I need now is to find a case that I can actually buy in this country! Man, do I have problems :D

Associate
Im using this hardware for

Debian - With Virtual box
Ubuntu 9.10 Server (Virtual) - Shorewall, Postfix, Dovecot, squirelmail, webmin
Debian (Virtual) - Samba File Shares, webmin

Gigabyte Atom 330
1.5TB Samsung Eco Green
2GB PC-6400
Lian Li PC-Q07B Mini-ITX Case
With Pico PSU which gives loads of extra space

Associate
The fractal currently is released, I believe someone on here said they bought it from italy(?) for £126 (?) - this is going from memory. :)

Spooter - how does that box handle everything you do on it? Seems like quite a bit for such a small box. I was thinking of very simular but with a celeron e3400.

Soldato
if its just for a personal server, u really dont need a lot of power.

i have a mail/web server thats running several sites, as well multiple mail domains.

and its only running on a 1.5ghz via epia, with 1gb ram
the pc basically uses about 20w of power, so i would say its pretty low power operating.

i dont use it as a file server as well thou, so it only has a small amount of storage, but plenty for what it needs.

u could go for the 1.8gz epia, that has 4 sata ports as well. About £150 for the motherboard thou

Back
Top Bottom