SFF Newbie - SilverStone SG07 Build

Associate
Hey guys :)

I'm certainly not new to the OcUK forums, however I am a SFF newbie! As of this evening, I am now the proud owner of a SilverStone SG07 - been wanting to get one for ages, and here we are :D

So, only thing I need to do now is choose an ITX board and suitable CPU. System will be used mainly for gaming so am thinking about an i3 540, or perhaps waiting to see how the Bulldozer thang pans out.

As the build comes together, I'll be sure to report back with notes and piccies.

So SG07 owners - any advice?

Associate
OP
If you will be gaming I'd choose an i5 2500K (socket 1155) CPU and wait for the P67 ITX boards to start appearing. This way you will be able to overclock the CPU.

Was thinking about an i3 2100 pared with a decent GPU (Tom's Hardware recommended) for the time being, purely for financial reasons. We'll see though when it comes to buy-time ;)

Any ideas when we should start seeing H67/P67 ITX boards appearing for sale?

Soldato
God knows, really. The whole chipset debacle just slowed proceedings right down.

I heard that Gigabyte are working on a board but as for an ETA, you might as well draw a month out of a hat. :)

Caporegime
Was thinking about an i3 2100 pared with a decent GPU (Tom's Hardware recommended) for the time being, purely for financial reasons. We'll see though when it comes to buy-time ;)

Any ideas when we should start seeing H67/P67 ITX boards appearing for sale?

H67 boards are already available, so you could always buy a cheap H67 then sell it for a P67 a few months down the line. You can't overclock on the H67 boards, but they do come with support for the 1155 onboard graphics (not much use to you if you're building a gaming machine). P67 on the other hand, requires a discrete GPU.

Soldato
if the rig is for gaming then i wouldnt let waiting for a p series board slow you down, sandybridge wont be a bottleneck for any gpu and will be enough for all games you will most likley play, thats why i bought a foxconn h67s and an i52400, it craps on my phenom II 955, so why overclock if you dont need to?

Associate
@danewesley

seems like you have a very similar build to mine...

silverstone sg07 with 600w psu
sparkle gtx 465 (mine unlocked to 470), still waiting for my mafia 2 game, did you ever get yours?
foxconn h67s (waiting for p67)
i5 2500k
4gb ram ddr3 ocz
samsung 500gb f3

aslo how do you find the psu? mine squeels and i think its the cause of my stutters :s

@jmp_87 definitely go for sandybridge, or wait for reviews of bulldozer and decide between them

Soldato
yeh there is a high pitch squeel from the psu, i wear headphones most of the time so i dont notice, i got a gtx 465 from clearance with no mafia 2, i rang ouck twice and they gave me modern warefare 2 and hawx 2 instead. in the itx rig i had a 5970, now a 5850 and soon to be a 6950 flashed to 6970.

Associate
OP
@jmp_87 definitely go for sandybridge, or wait for reviews of bulldozer and decide between them

Am sooo close to ordering a GA-H55N-USB3 and i3 540 for ~£170...

Don't really wanna spend more than £200 on board and CPU - do you think I'll be able to stay within budget for SB or BD?

Associate
regarding your choice of cpu/mobo, ask in the general hardware section, there are many more people who will be able to help...but personally I would say go for sandybridge no matter what, but don't listen to me lol, m sort of a noob...

ps. check out hardforum they have a huge thread about the sg07

Caporegime
if the rig is for gaming then i wouldnt let waiting for a p series board slow you down, sandybridge wont be a bottleneck for any gpu and will be enough for all games you will most likley play, thats why i bought a foxconn h67s and an i52400, it craps on my phenom II 955, so why overclock if you dont need to?

At the moment, that's true. However in a few years when games start to chug, you'll be going into the BIOS to stick it on 4.5GHz while the other guy will be shelling out £400 on a new CPU mobo and RAM.

Soldato
a few years exactly, id sell my rig on after a few years and move on to newer tech. sandybridge is so fast right now that it wont be a bottleneck for a long time, i think i paid around the £200 mark for the i5 2400 and the foxconn h67s itx board.

Associate
OP
I guess I just need to decide which would be best from a gaming point of view:

Core i3 2120 @ 3.3GHz (stock)
OR
Core i3 540 @ 4.0GHz (overclocked)

I am presuming that neither would be a bottleneck for a few years, alongside a decent video card @ 1080p. At that resolution, video card is always gonna be key.

Main consideration is price, so just to re-iterate £200 limit for both CPU & mobo.

Oh yeah... getting itchy credit card hand too!

Decisions decisions :rolleyes:

Associate
OP
Right, done some ordering of SG07-internals!

Intel Core i3 560
Gigabyte GA-H55N-USB3
4GB Corsair XMS3 1600MHz

Roll on Wednesday :D

Oh yeah... just need a HDD. Couldn't decide. Anyone suggest a quiet/cool one? Ideally under £40, low capacity not an issue. Just want something that will give reasonable speed pre-SSD.

Associate
the F3 500gb is 30quid, the newer F4 320gb is 40quid...I've had 2 F3's, personally I think they are great...maybe check out WD green edition hdd's

Associate
OP
the F3 500gb is 30quid, the newer F4 320gb is 40quid...I've had 2 F3's, personally I think they are great...maybe check out WD green edition hdd's

Was thinking 320GB F4 as it's £32 from OcUK. Only reason I haven't is due to lack of reviews! Happy with WD Green's, have 1 in main PC, but not that quick or cheap. I see them more as storage drives.

Back
Top Bottom