Shall I ditch my laptop for MacBook Air

Soldato
I love the Macbook Air, I have been getting all my family members to buy 2015 Macbook airs to replace their cheap windows laptops.

Why exactly have you been asking your family to buy 6 year old laptops? Doesn’t strike me as the best advice ever, however cheap their Windows laptops may have been.

Very very bizarre.

Monterey will be the last update they’ll get as well, just made the cut off this year.

Associate
Very very bizarre.

Monterey will be the last update they’ll get as well, just made the cut off this year.

They only use them for web browsing and note taking. I personally have a 2015 macbook pro and it's still running strong today so felt confident getting them Macbook airs. It's been an improvement for them straight away, their old machines were only a few years old and MS teams would crash and they had battery issues.

Why exactly have you been asking your family to buy 6 year old laptops? Doesn’t strike me as the best advice ever, however cheap their Windows laptops may have been.

They still feel snappy to use and run fine with light applications. Previous laptops had battery issues, nasty TN screens and would crash in MS teams. My macbook pro 2015 is still running fine today.

Soldato
They only use them for web browsing and note taking. I personally have a 2015 macbook pro and it's still running strong today so felt confident getting them Macbook airs. It's been an improvement for them straight away, their old machines were only a few years old and MS teams would crash and they had battery issues.
They still feel snappy to use and run fine with light applications. Previous laptops had battery issues, nasty TN screens and would crash in MS teams. My macbook pro 2015 is still running fine today.

I’m still baffled.

I’ve honestly never heard of someone recommending upgrading a new bit of technology/kit with something older which will be obsolete a year.

brand new chrome books are only a couple of hundred if that’s all they need it for or even better an iPad.

Associate
I’m still baffled.

I’ve honestly never heard of someone recommending upgrading a new bit of technology/kit with something older which will be obsolete a year.

brand new chrome books are only a couple of hundred if that’s all they need it for or even better an iPad.

But a chromebook won't integrate with their imessage and icloud. It's also been 6 years and they still don't feel obsolete. For them, the integration with apple services, fast SSD and metal build feel like huge upgrades. Also if they do become obsolete next year, no guarantee that macOS 13 won't support them, they only spent £250 for them.

Associate
In my experience with Macbooks Air models owned they tend to get hot, battery run out quickly and slower with processes. If I had to use a Macbook would be a Pro, even an early 2015 model was in my experience better than the 2020 one with the butterfly keyboard. If I was gonna use the laptop for more than emails and a few standard applications, such as any game in your free time or you are looking for freedom within Operating system environment without to much hussle I would stick with your current computer or "windows" Line.

Sold the latest macbook 2020 pro that i bought and got myself a lovely MSI at a fraction of the price doubling specs.... Still own the 2015 and use it for work and few other bits, the rest MSI. Hope it helps :D

Commissario
In my experience with Macbooks Air models owned they tend to get hot, battery run out quickly and slower with processes.

*snip*

Hope it helps :D

Not even slightly helpful.

The M1 MBA is silent, doesn’t get even slightly warm, has a fantastic battery life and is incredibly fast and as for ‘slowing down with processes’, what on earth are you talking about? It’s not Windows.

Associate
Not even slightly helpful.

The M1 MBA is silent, doesn’t get even slightly warm, has a fantastic battery life and is incredibly fast and as for ‘slowing down with processes’, what on earth are you talking about? It’s not Windows.

Im talking about my previous air mid 2013. Im glad it work out great for you :D

Associate
Why even bring up an eight year old machine? It’s irrelevant.
I believe I shared my overall experience with MacBook's since 2013 till 2020 and the one that worked great (2015). Sorry if you found it irrelevant, maybe someone else wont.

Soldato
I used a C2D mid 2011 Mac air without any issues up to last year when I presume the logic board died, quite amazing it lasted that long. It was a wonderful machine and I was planning to upgrade to the M1 Mac air, which has been a great laptop, owned it since the launch. Bought the base model which is enough for my needs.

I like Windows and Mac OS, just different, I use windows for gaming and mac for everything else.

Soldato
I am thinking about ditching my Legion5i 15inch GeForce GTX 1660 BLACK for MacBook Air ?
Is it worth the gamble ?
Not liking the display on the Legion5i seems very dark

The 5i comes with a 300 nits or a 250 nits screen maybe you got the latter.
The Macbook Air has 400nits screen and Macbook Pro 500 nits screen.
The Legion 7i can be got with a 350 or 500 nits screen
The Legion 5 Pro is also 500 nits.

All the above depends on what power mode you are in, some turn down the brightness in battery modes.

One is a heavy gaming 15" laptop the other 13" Light Notebook. Kinda different use cases.

Soldato
I love the Macbook Air, I have been getting all my family members to buy 2015 Macbook airs to replace their cheap windows laptops.

That is silly advice, i bet their laptops didn’t cost as much as the mac. I often hear “my £300 windows laptop is slow bla bla bla so i spent 7-1k on a mac and its amazing”.

Soldato
I believe I shared my overall experience with MacBook's since 2013 till 2020 and the one that worked great (2015). Sorry if you found it irrelevant, maybe someone else wont.

It's only relevant to people buying an old mac book Air with an Intel chip.

Soldato
I went from a Dell XPS 15 9570 (i7 6c/12t CPU, 32GB RAM, 1TB SDD, etc etc) and got a MBA M1 to replace it.

I'm delighted. Its worth it just for the battery life. Performance is absolutely superb.

Back
Top Bottom