1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shall i port my soundcard to my new PC?

Discussion in 'Sound City' started by Foehammer2003, 10 May 2006.

1. Foehammer2003

Hitman

As the title says.... I have a Philips Sonic Edge 5.1 sound card (32 bit pci) and the asrock939 Dual SATAII in my new rig, which itself has 7.1 sound although its AC '97 which i believe is on 99% of all mobo's anyway. Which should i use? I bought a soundcard a) because i wanted a better quality sound and b) because i heard having a soundcard helps off load some of the stress from the CPU.

I only have 2.1 speakers and am happy with that, so no need for 7.1 that the mobo provides... What y'all think :confused:

2. Energize

Caporegime

If it sounds better then do it. The load it takes off the cpu is neglegible.

3. russ0r

Wise Guy

The extra stress it puts on the CPU is minimal.
    If you're happy with two speakers, stick with onboard. I don't personally think that a PCI soundcard will offer you any significant advantage, unless you're wanting to do lots of low-latency mixing and have extra inputs.
    Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, though.

4. Energize

Caporegime

A good soundcard like creative soundblaster can blow you away with the effects of eax hd etc.

Not sure if that card supports it though.

5. Foehammer2003

Hitman

yeah it supports EAX2.0, Which the AC '97 does not support is that right?

6. Energize

Caporegime

Yes onboard doesnt have any of these extra features.