Shared Bills

Soldato
How do you guys share the bills/rent/etc with your better halfs? And whats the best way to not cause arguments (paying them all doesn't count!) :D

I pay the rent on our house (700) and the Mrs picks up the rest which total under £400 - seems fair enough to me given the difference in salary :)

Soldato
I pay the mortgage, leccy, gas, council tax, phone

The other half pays for food, sky, broadband and general living, for example i havent spent a penny on xmas pressies this year, and any holiday or anything will be coming out of her wage, she gets just less than me a month, but gets paid weekly, so its better she pays for the food and everything :)

Soldato
For the bills we have a joint account and put a certain amount into that each month, the bills come out of that by direct debit. The house is mine so the mortgage come out of my current account directly.

Soldato
Split it half and half. We each put £800 in to the joint account a month which pays for the rent and bills and then take it in turns for the food shopping.

Soldato
I send off the bills to NASA and they work out the split. It's so complicated I had to get a loan to pay for the Supercomputer time. :(

Turns out NASA said we should split the bills based on our salaries. So I pay 60% of the bills (including the mortgage) and she pays 40%

Go NASA!

Permabanned
get a joint account, both salaries get paid into it, then you cant moan when she buys shoes, and she cant moan when you buy a 50" Plasma ;)

Soldato
Although we don't have any joint accounts we don't really have any "yours and mine" money - all money coming in is ours.
The mortgage (£640) comes directly out of my bank account as does Sky and Broadband.
I think the majority of the other bills we have DD out of the wifes account.
However she earns a lot less than me and if she needs more money I simply transfer some across to her.

Tk7

Tk7

Associate
We have no joint account, just a normal account each. I pay the mortgage and all household bills, she pays for the food shopping.

Has always worked for us, if she wants some money from me, she asks and I give, vice versa.

What's mine is hers, and what's hers is hers...

Soldato
Get a joint count and pay in a fixed amount each every month, if you deicde it's appropriate you can pay in more than her due to the salary difference. Makes life much much easier. We worked on the you pay the mortgage and I'll pay the other stuff type approach for ages but we always landed up with one or both of us feeling a little out of pocket and the joint account saves the need to talk about it. I do think if your both earning you should probably still keep some money seperately so you can appreciate the furits of you labour obviously this may change in the event of Children or just with the passing of time.

Money is supposed to be one of the major causes of arguments bettween couples so get it sorted now!

Back
Top Bottom