Shay Given - The best keeper in the premiership?

Soldato
Cech will be a better keeper than Given when he reaches Given's age, thats for sure, but at the moment, Given is by far the better keeper.

Anyone seen Cech with rubbish in front of him (ie for his Country)?

Ordinary at best.

I'd look good in the Chelsea team, wherever you play me, they've even coped without Cech this season, they've been done When Terry isnt in the team.

At the moment i'd say only buffon is a better keeper than Given, if Given ever decided to improve on his kicking (tbh he's tried its just not happening) and to learn more about defending so he can communicate better and organise the back four, then he'd be the ultimate complete keeper, and nobody in their right mind would choose Cech over him. He wouldn't be at NUFC for too much longer either if that happened.

But Arsenal can naff off, £5m? Go have a word eh? Double figures, and we still wouldn't sell.

But even if we did, Krul has the ability and potential to eclipse pretty much about every keeper out there, Juve already see him potentially being better than Buffon, and who is better than him?

Soldato
Given > Cech...

Cech has John Terry

Given has had to settle with Titus Bramble...

pretty obvious tbh. Given has been consistent season after season. Always producing great performances game after game...not one world class save every 5games...

probably a couple of great saves every game if not every other game

Associate
I'm sorry but I don't understand why so many people have got Reina in their top five or so. He's so overrated, cannot command his area, prone to errors and is always coming off his line unnecessarily.

OK he's still a good shot stopper but for all round goalkeeping performance I would certainly have him towards the bottom of a top 10.

Caporegime
bellamy said:
He's so overrated
Second only to Cech as the best and most consistent goalkeeper last year.

bellamy said:
cannot command his area
Didn't you see what happened during the cup games against Arsenal? The same back four that plays in front of Reina were all over the place. If you want an example of a keeper that can't command his area watch Tottenham and/or England play.

bellamy said:
prone to errors
At the start of the season his confidence was very low and he did make a few costly errors. He's back to his best now and hasn't made a mistake for months.

bellamy said:
and is always coming off his line unnecessarily.
Is he? I can't remember him ever getting lobbed. Why is coming off his line such a bad thing?

Soldato
I'd have to say Given, just, but Jaaskelainen, Cech and Van Der Sar are up there for me as well.

I have to admit though, Given has been worth as much, if not more for us than Alan Shearer has been over the last god knows how many years. And someone who is willing to continue to keep goal for a club who insists on fielding the most inept defenders in the country (until recently it seems) deserves a bloody medal. :D

Soldato
bellamy said:
I'm sorry but I don't understand why so many people have got Reina in their top five or so. He's so overrated, cannot command his area, prone to errors and is always coming off his line unnecessarily.

OK he's still a good shot stopper but for all round goalkeeping performance I would certainly have him towards the bottom of a top 10.
Reina has had the most clean sheets in the premiership this season as well as last season. At one point last season we kept 10 clean sheets in a row, you dont do that unless your one of the best keepers in the world.

Soldato
Murf said:
I'd have to say Given, just, but Jaaskelainen, Cech and Van Der Sar are up there for me as well.

I have to admit though, Given has been worth as much, if not more for us than Alan Shearer has been over the last god knows how many years. And someone who is willing to continue to keep goal for a club who insists on fielding the most inept defenders in the country (until recently it seems) deserves a bloody medal. :D

Van der saar is the worst shot stopper in the premiership probably.

Back
Top Bottom