Shed build

Soldato
Just a point or two.

If you have roof timbers at 400mm centres, the upper wall panel timber will need to transfer the end load between the wall verticals and a 4 x 2 on the flat may not do that without bending. I would have expected maybe a twin timber running along the top of the wall to support the roof?

Similarly at the base of the wall thought needs to be given to load transfer?

Will the wall verticals carry the vertical load from the roof, or do you need more noggins to provide lateral restraints?

Perhaps stiffening the inner wall face with glued and nailed plywood would stiffen the wall to increase load carrying capacity.

Soldato
Interesting read so far but can't see the images at work.

I'm looking at finally building my 3 - 4m wide by 6m long office outside and I'm currently researching everything to help make everything simple and fast when building.

Got so much to look up, from post holes to insulation, electrics.

Going for a slightly raised floor, wooden framed, insulated structure, metal insulated roof, and a marine plywood exterior as the initial build, then adding proper siding afterwards to make it look nice :)

Soldato
I can't really see the reasoning behind keeping a tree that's in the way tbh. Could you not hire an excavator and dig the tree out and relocate it to somewhere that it will get viewed better? Failing that some trade off of replanting x number of new trees in return for annihilation of holly tree.

Associate
OP
Yeah the whole tree thing has met mixed reviews but its staying and thats that.. anyway the slabs down now,more work for me but i do love a challenge. Liberated 7 bags of good condition 50mm celotex from a skip so that saved some cash on the floor insulation whole bill is at £700 so far 2 main frame panels to build,had a guy who does green roofs he said structure is ok as they do a lightweight growing medium. 1mm pond liners gonna be 150 quid!
Also...can everyone see the pics??

Soldato
Looks good so far, dont forget DPM in the floor, ventilation is a good idea as somebody suggested I would add some triangles to the walls between the uprights for strength and I look forward to seeing your birdmouth cuts for the roof ;)

Back
Top Bottom