Sheeesh! Sky HD is expensive!

Soldato
So I have the basic Sky Digital package.

To go HD:-
£300 for the hardware
£10 a month to move to Sky+
£10 a month to move to HD

So my annual charge would be nigh on £500!

No way can I justify that! :(

Soldato
NeilFawcett said:
So I have the basic Sky Digital package.

To go HD:-
£300 for the hardware
£10 a month to move to Sky+
£10 a month to move to HD

So my annual charge would be nigh on £500!

No way can I justify that! :(

It'll get cheaper eventually, theres only so much cash people are willing to throw at rubbish TV channels. They have to recover some development cost from the early adoptors and then then price cuts will bring more people into the market. Don't forget BR and DVDHD aren't far off and prople won't be limited to Sky's rubbish output, I bet prices will drop quickly then.

MB

Bar

Bar

Soldato
You get the movie channels, sports channels and a couple of discovery channels and sky one plus one or two more.

Associate
dirtydog said:
So what HD content do you actually get for your money?

all i've seen advertise is a Discovery channel and Sports channel and maybe some movies in HD (star wars ep 3).

Anyone know what plans NTL have for HD ?

Man of Honour
I am actually thinking of ditching my cable package and going to freeview. I can't find a reason to justify paying their prices for the crap they broadcast so HD is not something that will be in my living room anytime soon. :)

Permabanned
There are 2 HD movie channels, SKy One HD, Artsworld HD, Discovery HD and Sky Sports HD.

There are some PPV HD options as well.

Soldato
We looked at this as we have a HD ready tv but the cost is stupid for what you get. We'll be waiting for it to come down in price before we get it, already have sky+ though which is fantastic :D

Associate
A lot the shows that sky currently show - 24, Galactica etc were filmed in HD, so there will be a reasonable amount of content from the off.

Still expensive though. The picture quality difference is more evolutionary than revolutionary.

Saying that though, ive got my big screen downstairs - and im ready and willing to shell out for HD-DVD as soon as the UK has them.

Permabanned
Just get Freeview in. Okay, it doesn't have as many channels as Sky - but what do you want for a £30 box, with no subscription fees? :p

I point-blank refuse to pay for the privelage of being able to watch tons of adverts, many non-UK shows, and countless repeats.

Associate
You gotta admire the SKy marketing team though - convincing people to pay again for the channels they are already paying for! ROFL!

"yes sire, you pay £20p/m for sport, but pay us another £10p/m and 1/4 of the sports will look a little nicer" :D

Soldato
vodkacokebloke said:
The picture quality difference is more evolutionary than revolutionary.

Agreed, the problem is that screen sizes are now huge 50"+ so you need the extra resolution to drive such a large screen.

I'm starting to get interested in buying a steerable sattelite dish, apparently there is plenty of HD stuff out there if you know where to look ;)

HEADRAT

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Anyone seen the super HD they've developed in Tokyo?

that was broadcast in what some are calling super high-def -- roughly 4 times greater resolution than today's HDTV

Now that'd be worth £320 on my Sky+ :D

daz

daz

Soldato
If you already have the max package, you don't need to pay an extra £10 a month for Sky+. So for HD it would be about £52 a month.

Back
Top Bottom