Shenmue I & II HD just announced.

Associate
Beyond hyped fo' dis!

Bought a DC a few years ago just to play Shenmue 1&2 in their original glory, even back then the games were £50+ on ebay in standard condition. I just hope the controls/sensitivity transfers well - Sonic Adventure felt really peculiar on the 360 controller but pretty perfect on the DC.

I'm sure if Sega started a Kickstarter for a DC2, people would buy left 'n' right. As they're not, there's no reason not to include the Switch.

Soldato
So, there is information to suggest that this may be coming out sooner then expected. The game is currently on offer on the PS store for £22.50 for PS+ users or £24.99 for non PS+ users. The release date on the page is 21/08/2018!

Soldato
Just ordered this, should get it Tuesday.

Finished the first one on Dreamcast, not the second one(due to being way too busy at the time). The first one was 1 chapter of the story the 2nd one has 3, which means it must be big. This and the fact they may even complete the whole series to probably my favourite story driven game of all time(due to an unbelievably successful kick-starter).

All this and its been updated to HD, and is £24.99 means it could be game of the year, at least bargain of the century.

For all you youngings who didn't play any of these, you are in for a treat. The GTA of today were heavily inspired by Shenmue, but none of them come close to the story in Shenmue.

No need to wait for Red Dead 2, Days Gone, Last of Us 2, a genuine masterpiece is available tomorrow.

If you pick it up, you won't put it down.

Soldato
it’s a 19 year old game with minimal changes made. I imagine it’s going to look fairly ropey compared to anything modern. I payed them both on Dreamcast and tbh they were ok but nothing amazing. The controls are clunky and some of it was really tedious. Will see what everyone here says when released...

Soldato
Played the Japanese one on release in 99 , used to pop down to the local job/skills centre run by the local council ( had two ISDN lines ) and print off the translations from Gamefaqs. Loved the game and spent a good few hours playing the HD remaster yesterday.

Controls weren't the best in the first place but you get used to them again quite easily. Textures are still quite low res despite HD remaster and the audio quality really shows it's age, first thing I noticed to be honest. All that being said it's still bloody good to play through it again, even with some graphical glitches popping up during cutscenes . ( For instance interacting with Mimi near the shrine and the models disappear and you're left with the backdrop )

Soldato
So it's a pretty pointless HD remaster in relation to some we have seen recently.

A lot of “HD” remasters are just the PC versions and assets ported to the consoles. This is an old game and would require extensive reworking as it was originally on Dreamcast. I doubt it would be cost effective for the publisher tbh.

Soldato
Played the Japanese one on release in 99 , used to pop down to the local job/skills centre run by the local council ( had two ISDN lines ) and print off the translations from Gamefaqs. Loved the game and spent a good few hours playing the HD remaster yesterday.

Controls weren't the best in the first place but you get used to them again quite easily. Textures are still quite low res despite HD remaster and the audio quality really shows it's age, first thing I noticed to be honest. All that being said it's still bloody good to play through it again, even with some graphical glitches popping up during cutscenes . ( For instance interacting with Mimi near the shrine and the models disappear and you're left with the backdrop )

Cool, the gameplay and story are still tops.

Hope the kids who missed it first time give it a go, hell if shovel knight sells millions based on it's graphics and sound, then this really deserves to do well.

Soldato
TBH, I feel most of this "amazing story and gameplay" is just nostalgia glasses, the story was solid but nothing utterly brilliant and gameplay could get pointlessly tedious. It's just that the game was something new and groundbreaking in certain aspects back then but that was almost two decades ago.

Associate
This baffles me. If it was completely remade a la Crash Bandicoot and Uncharted remastered then I may be interested but it looks so dated and I’m sure will feel it too.

I loved my Dreamcast and got £55 at a well known second-hand gaming store for my mint boxed copy of Shenmue 2 last year. Will always be for me the greatest and most forward thinking and underrated console. No effort has gone into this remaster though by the looks of it.

Associate
I'm content to play both games in their original format, albeit with modern controls and resolution support! The addition of both English and Japanese voiceovers is an added bonus.

Last edited:
Soldato
Honestly don't see the issue with the result. They've given people a definitive way to play the games on modern consoles for a very reasonable price. The improved resolution is nice and the 16:9 aspect ratio is great. There's not much they could do about the audio if they're the only files they have access to and if they were going to update all the textures they may as well have remade the game from the ground up which would be time consuming and costly (and I imagine they wanted this released a fair bit before Shenmue 3 to give people a chance to finish them). The improvements are night and day when compared side by side.

Back
Top Bottom