Shoes for exercise.

Associate
Iam, as I am sure a lot of people do, using my cardio / running shoes for weight training.

Now I have read on the Rippetoes and possibly in the Stronglifts guides that you need shoes without compressible soles for weight training so you do not loose a chunk of that downward force to the shoes sole and compression.

What do others use for their weight training and for anyone who switched to firm / solid soled shoes notice much difference ?

RB

Soldato
I always do dead lifts bare footed when I do them on the rare occasion. I guess something along the lines of a flat sole like skateboarder trainers would be good for non cardio related exercise.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I always do dead lifts bare footed when I do them on the rare occasion. I guess something along the lines of a flat sole like skateboarder trainers would be good for non cardio related exercise.

Thanks for the reply Tank.

My VANS had pretty soft soles like the converse boots.

I have seen some 'football' shoes with thin firm soles that look like they may be food. I would guess they may be for concrete courts or astroturf having no studs.

RB

Man of Honour
You can buy proper weightlifting shoes (doing a search on "weightlifting shoes" will find you a selection) but I'm under the impression that unless you are lifting pretty hefty weights it isn't strictly necessary. Alternatively as ^Tank^ suggests do it in your bare feet/with socks on if you are in the gym.

Associate
OP
You can buy proper weightlifting shoes (doing a search on "weightlifting shoes" will find you a selection) but I'm under the impression that unless you are lifting pretty hefty weights it isn't strictly necessary. Alternatively as ^Tank^ suggests do it in your bare feet/with socks on if you are in the gym.

Whilst I know there is no real protection a pair of shoes is going to give me from dropping a disc on my toes, just the thought of doing the session without shoes I think would make me very nervious, not just of me dropping something but of others as well.

At home it would be the perfect solution. No numpties apart from ourselves :D.

Cheers
RB

Soldato
I wonder if plimsolls would be any good.

Most of my shoes have soft soles so I also need to buy some for weightlifting. Plimsolls would be cheap too.

Soldato
I DL and Squat in my socks. I almost very nearly crushed my right foot by dropping a 25KG plate next to it. I now how hold plates with both hands and take my shoes off when I'm ready to lift, not load the bar! :p

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
I do deads/squats barefoot (well...with socks on), however was planning to get a pair of basic converse, I read they have a flat sole and are good for lifting.

Associate
OP
Interestingly I have tried for the last few sessions with squats, which seem to be at the level where the main muscles are keeping up but the stabilizers and ligaments need time to adjust, using some thin soled casual shoes and the base I am pushing from feels more stable.

Maybe it is just in my mind but it does feel better / safer and easier to keep closer to true form.

How much better is debatable as you say Morba :D.

RB

Last edited:
Soldato
my usual gym trainers suck, they definitely promote putting weight onto the front of my feet wen doing squats...which, as you know, sucks!

Back
Top Bottom