Shoes Shoes Shoes

Man of Honour
Herring Shoes have fantastic customer service. You can try the shoes on indoors and still return them if like new (not outdoors though).

Soldato
How much has to be spent to get a longer lasting pair (brogues for example)? Realise that's a pretty subjective question. My last pairs have been Dune, and longevity doesn't seem to be brilliant.

I probably do walk more than average in them though, and don't tend to have many pairs that I cycle between. Basic question- how long should a decent pair of shoes last?

Man of Honour
Good shoes are like a classic car. They need servicing and tic to ensure longevity. Quality shoes make that process easier and that is what you pay for. I tend to have my shoes re-lifed each year, costs around 100 quid per pair but the come back with new heels/soles and re-lifed leather, stretched to remove wrinkles. Look at them as something you need to spend time maintaining and looks for shoes that make that easier or come from a manufacturer who offers that. I like Oliver Sweeney shoes for example, not all of the, they have ranges at different price ranges but their better shoes I send off for them to work on.

https://www.oliversweeney.com/shoe-...MI4IOH1dff2AIVFJ4bCh3spAjxEAAYASAAEgL2zPD_BwE

I could do it locally but frankly the savings are not as much was you might imagine.

Soldato
Good shoes are like a classic car. They need servicing and tic to ensure longevity. Quality shoes make that process easier and that is what you pay for. I tend to have my shoes re-lifed each year, costs around 100 quid per pair but the come back with new heels/soles and re-lifed leather, stretched to remove wrinkles. Look at them as something you need to spend time maintaining and looks for shoes that make that easier or come from a manufacturer who offers that. I like Oliver Sweeney shoes for example, not all of the, they have ranges at different price ranges but their better shoes I send off for them to work on.

https://www.oliversweeney.com/shoe-...MI4IOH1dff2AIVFJ4bCh3spAjxEAAYASAAEgL2zPD_BwE

I could do it locally but frankly the savings are not as much was you might imagine.

That makes sense. I haven't got mega bucks, so wouldn't want to spend more than £150. Even this figure is pushing the boat out for me :p

They don't have to last a lifetime, just something that's decent in durability- above average, shall we say. Oliver Sweeney have some brogues in the sale for £139 for example, I could stomach that if they'd be a decent pick.

Man of Honour
I have to say in my experience, certainly with Sweeney shoes, you get what you pay for. Their cheaper ranges do feel cheaper. Leather seems lower quality as do the soles of the shoes. Still a good shoe, but not at the level of their 250-300 pairs.

Soldato
I bought a pair of Crockett and Jones shoes a couple of years ago. Can't knock the quality but they are also the least comfortable shoes I have ever worn, I thought they would "wear in" but they never did.

Soldato
Don’t get the fuss really, a £15 pair of Primarks / George (ie the cheapest you can get) feel super comfy once worn in, as do most shoes.

Nonsense. I don't spend hundreds on shoes, but even Clark's at £50-£60 are magnitudes better than supermarket leather shoes at £30-£40.

Fake leather PVC shoes are absolutely awful unless you like to boil your feet! I imagine primark shoes mostly fall in this category.

If you can afford it, half decent shoes are always worth the investment. Last much longer too in my experience, so probably don't cost much more in the long run.

Dad has some Barker's which were maybe £100 on sale and they are far better made again than my Clark's. I presume they are Barker's cheapest range too.

Soldato
Not all shoes will 'fit' your feet just because they are your size. There are many different styles and last shapes, par example: https://www.cheaney.co.uk/size-fit-i9

It's taken me years to learn what styles fit me comfortably, what will 'break in' and what just wont and be uncomfortable forever. I bought a pair of Trickers' boots recently; one of the most comfortable pairs of boots I've even had. Due to being so impressed I then bought another pair the following week (different last) and omg they weren't even close to comfortable. I loved the style and got them cheap(ish) but had to send them back as they would never break in over time to something remotely comfortable.

The joys of buying online. If you can, get yourself to the shop and then try different styles to work out what suits you best.

Soldato
I've had the same pair of Loakes for 12 years. I didn't wear them daily for about 4 years, and in the last year they've started to look and feel tatty - so I've had about 7 years wear out of them. At £115, I think that they were a good investment.

I was considering getting them sorted out by Loakes, but for £80 I feel like I may as well get a new pair. I have had the soles changed - as someone said earlier in the thread, the leather is ultra slippery. I'm not sure how they expect you not to have changed the soles because they actually consider that a repair!

Anyway, I'm going to get a new pair for my wedding this year and then I'll wear those daily year on year. Just seen about the Loakes shop. I'm definitely going to go there, sounds awesome. It may be full of toffs, but you can't beat good manners.

Soldato
Can anyone recommend decent shoes in size 13 or 14 UK / 46 or 48 EU in an ultra-narrow fit? I typically wear the Justin Reece Oliver shoes in size 14 but they're not high quality.

Try calling some of the factory outlets, Barker for example posted a pair of boots to me for ~£6 from their outlet.

Can anyone recommend decent shoes in size 13 or 14 UK / 46 or 48 EU in an ultra-narrow fit? I typically wear the Justin Reece Oliver shoes in size 14 but they're not high quality.

https://www.herringshoes.co.uk/barker/arnold_oxfords/black-polished

Also these are available in size 14 narrow. never heard of ultra narrow.

https://www.herringshoes.co.uk/loake/rothschild_oxfords/black-calf

available in 13 narrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
An E fitting is not narrow. I take a B fitting, or D if my foot is swollen.

https://shop.nordstrom.com/s/allen-...h-_-0_2800_J009051-_-detail_mnshoes_P01_shop&

Though i'm inclined to think that this scale is an american scale, in english shoes F is standard (from Loake site)

E= Narrow
F= Medium
G= Wide
H = Extra Wide

EDIT: Appears that there is a difference in american vs english:

Narrow Fitting shoes - UK E Fitting (in the old days known as Fitting 5). In the USA, this is known as a C Fitting.

Slightly narrower than Average Fitting - UK EX or E+ Fitting (this fitting is halfway between the Narrow E Fitting and the Average F Fitting).

Standard or Average - UK F Fitting (in the old days known as Fitting 6). In the USA, this is known as a D Fitting.

Slightly wider than Average Fitting - UK FX or F+ Fitting (this fitting is halfway between the Average F Fitting and the Wide G Fitting). In the USA, this is known as a D+ Fitting.

Wide Fitting Shoes - UK Fitting G (in the old days known as Fitting 7). In the USA, this is known as an EE Fitting.

Slightly wider than Wide Fitting - UK GX Fitting (this fitting is halfway between the Wide G Fitting and the Extra Wide H Fitting).

Extra Wide Fitting Shoes - UK Fitting H (in the old days known as Fitting 8). In the USA, this is known as an EEEE Fitting.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom