Shooting Sports Events?

Soldato
Hello,

I am going to the Manchester United football game on saturday, and wondering what sort of settings you recommend for shooting sports events, and trying to get the best pictures possible?

Will not be using a tripod, baring that in mind.

Camera will be a Nikon D40, and will be taking a 18-55mm and a 55-200mm.

What sort of ISO/Aperture you guys recon?

And any other details?

Regards,

Adam

dod

dod

Soldato
settings will all depend on the light. There's a guy on another forum regularly uses F2.8, 1/800 and ISO 800+ to stop the action.

Be interested to see if they actually allow you to take your kit in anyway.

I have been many of times and taken my 30D non gripped with only one lens I could got away with. Sigma 105mm F2.8 Macro

I used this as my only other options were a 50mm F1.8 and a 100 - 400 L IS

I used the prime due to its compactness and because it was a prime it gave me maximum Image quality so cropping was possible. and it had F2.8 allowing for high shutter speeds at ISO800 whilest giving me some shallow depth of field. Mainly 1/200th.

I had my kit disembled in my large coat pockets. I would imagine on show you would get told no. I know for a fact there is a sign at the gates saying no telephoto photography

manu1.jpg

manu2.jpg

manu3.jpg

Soldato
OP
The game is at Craven Cottage, Fulham. Should be fine there?

Ive seen quite a few with cameras.

Perhaps it may be best to take a compact then?

Associate
If the stewards find you with your gear they 'should' take it off you. grounds have a system to hold gear and will give it you back after the game but often its just easier for the stewards to turn you away and then your stuck.

Soldato
OP
BeaumonT said:
If the stewards find you with your gear they 'should' take it off you. grounds have a system to hold gear and will give it you back after the game but often its just easier for the stewards to turn you away and then your stuck.
Hmm, perhaps it may be worth to take the Pentax then.

mrgubby said:
I was at a Watford / Liverpool match last month with my 300D / 28-300 lens attached. Stood there snapping away in full view of the stewards with no problems :)
Cant assume all stewards will be like that though. Been turned away at the gate is pretty much the line between a good time and a wasted time.

I would try n sneak it in but then your on you own. I wouldnt use anything that extended in length really.

Associate
I went to see stoke city play last week

before going I telephoned the club and asked for the policy on cameras, I was told that if the camera will fit in your pocket you are fine.

I said, so if I wear a coat with biggish pockets ill be fine

she laughed and said yeah as long as you dont swing it around, or take any pictures of children

Bolerus said:
I went to see stoke city play last week

before going I telephoned the club and asked for the policy on cameras, I was told that if the camera will fit in your pocket you are fine.

I said, so if I wear a coat with biggish pockets ill be fine

she laughed and said yeah as long as you dont swing it around, or take any pictures of children
Its not quite the same though when it comes to world class footballers and stadiums. They hold a lot of copyright on the property and the players photographs can be used commercially.

That is their concern..

Please feel free to try but be warned thats all im saying.

Soldato
OP
It will be at Fulham though, so perhaps even though it might be alright, i dont want to take the risk.

Think ill stick with the Pentax 750Z then.

Man of Honour
I know people call me a pain in the arse but Fstop11 your sig is breaking the rules - the image is larger than the maximum allowed filesize of 20KB.

I do like your pics though :)

Zefan said:
I know people call me a pain in the arse but Fstop11 your sig is breaking the rules - the image is larger than the maximum allowed filesize of 20KB.

I do like your pics though :)
I swear I keep having to change thing thing all the time!! Im getting sick of it happening here now.

How do you know it breaks the rule? Do you inspect it?

Thanks, im glad you like my Photography :)

Soldato
OP
Was a great game, shame about how the pictures came out though.

Was hard to get a decent picture with a compact in a busy stadium :p

Soldato
OP
Here are some of my pictures, shame they could have come out a bit better:

LarssonResized.jpg

Ronaldo1Resized.jpg

Ronaldo2Resized.jpg

FullTimeResized.jpg

What do you think?

There are a few more which are also quite good including Rooney. Will add later if these go down well :)

Taken with Pentax Optio 750Z.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom