Shoplifting and shoplifters-the nerve of some of them

Associate
OP
Us retail workers're expected to
Just stand there and take verbal abuse and not answer back
Be professional
give service with a smile
at all times but we can only take so much. for so long.
This afternoon, one of the till operators was told to Eff off by a customer who wanted a certain brand of ciggie but couldn;t have it so he told her to eff off. The customer might always be right (are they ####) but it does'nt give them the right to abuse staff or talk down to them
I've even had one customer say to me 'didn't you hear that?' when the bell for another till operator was sounded.

Last edited:
Associate
Whilst shoplifting is a serious acquisitive crime - unless the shoppy is booting off - it's very unlikely to warrant an emergency grade.

The issue is simply thus: Police are now, as they have been for at least the last 15 years, mopping up all the slack from the other statutory services: Welfare checks for social services, welfare checks for MH services, welfare checks for people who've rocked up at hospital and couldn't be bothered to wait, welfare checks for people who have told the BT customer service representative that they intend to hurt themselves, attending emergency calls as ambulance control mention a weapon etc... but then don't turn out themselves.

All important stuff - VERY important stuff - but something has to give.

You'll recall Theresa May stated that the Police are there to deal with crime and nothing else, when she was Home. Sec. Well, unfortunately - that simply can't be the case - and as a result, the bloke nicking 3 joints of meat is VERY low on the priority list.

Man of Honour
Would I wrestle a shoplifter to the floor if they were quietly going about their business...absolutely not.
The company accounts for wastage and shoplifting will pale in comparison to the amount they bin through other factors such as poor date rotation or it being forgotten about in the warehouse.

Commissario
I was outside Sainsburys the other day waiting for the mrs, a guy came out of the store with a trolley and his bags open - a guy runs past him and grabs whatever he can before legging it! We were all pretty shocked!

Back
Top Bottom