Short pay then deducted 30% to receive the difference

Soldato
My partner is short paid regularly in work, when she then informs them of this they pay her the difference a handful of days later with a 30% admin deduction

I'm pretty sure that this is illegal in itself and not only that but the company is then in breach of minimum pay as the deduction reduces her hourly rate to below the national minimum wage.

I haven't seen her contract however from the stand point of the 30% deduction reducing her hourly rate I'm pretty sure this would null the contract anyway.

Opinions?

Man of Honour
If it's really just as you've written there then there is nothing legal about that. They can't charge her a 30% fee because of their **** up regardless of the minimum wage issue.

Soldato
OP
If it's really just as you've written there then there is nothing legal about that. They can't charge her a 30% fee because of their **** up regardless of the minimum wage issue.

Just ran through it with her again, it's as written she also informed me that other employes are in the same situation.

I've told her that it's illegal.

Man of Honour
How could this be legitimate in any way?

Just to clarify, she is paid incorrectly, lodges a complaint and then receives a top up payment minus a 30% "admin" deduction?! There's no incorrect time sheet logging or anything from her?

Soldato
OP
How could this be legitimate in any way?

Just to clarify, she is paid incorrectly, lodges a complaint and then receives a top up payment minus a 30% "admin" deduction?! There's no incorrect time sheet logging or anything from her?

That's correct they even use GPS logging through a tasking app time stamping the hours worked.

I should point out that when the app is looked at the hours logged are correct and as I mentioned I believe the error is the interpretation / processing of this information in to whatever payroll product they use i.e. PEBCAK.

Soldato
To be clear, you cannot make any, otherwise not-agreed, non-contractual deduction from wages, other than excess holiday pay upon leaving.

And any contract that lays the cost of company payroll errors on employees would be illegal.

And paying below minimum wage is also illegal.

And short paying staff on the regular is a way of delaying handing over paye to hmrc,which will result in a large fine.

So, all in all, they are ******* things right up.

Caporegime
That's correct they even use GPS logging through a tasking app time stamping the hours worked.

I should point out that when the app is looked at the hours logged are correct and as I mentioned I believe the error is the interpretation / processing of this information in to whatever payroll product they use i.e. PEBCAK.

:eek: What does she do for work?

Soldato
A court will throw the book at them and then beat them to death with it.

You can't take off "admin fees" for wages lol. If it also pushes them under minimum wage that is a separate offence.

Back
Top Bottom