1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should 16 year old's be allowed to vote?

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by ultralaser, Nov 4, 2017.

1. StriderX

Capodecina

As apposed to the 20, 30 somethings running around on the weekend getting arse drunk? What about the stereotypical pub goer with whom you can have fantastically racist conversations with?

They're allowed to vote just fine, just like the 90 somethings that can barely stand, so i'm afraid to say that there are no good reasons without dragging everyone else into it, do we just go back to the old system that the Aristocrats vote only, or do we include more?

2. mrbazmondo

Hitman

This shows again that there is no real reason to stop anyone from voting that wants to.
    The mentality seems to be "People like me can vote, others should not."

3. platypus

Caporegime

What on earth was the point of this post? Other than to highlight how narrow minded and selfish your point of view is, I mean.

4. CommonMan

Gangster

I really hate to admit this, but on this occasion I fully agree with Platypus.

5. computer2268

Associate

I would allow 16 and 17 year olds to vote UKIP or Conservative.

6. mrbazmondo

Hitman

Should anyone one be able to vote on allowing another person to vote? Probably not.

7. solado

Gangster

At 16 I was willing to vote for the party willing to give me free money to play World of Warcraft all day. Nothing else mattered.

8. StriderX

Capodecina

At 76 I was willing to vote for the party willing to give me free money to rot in my chair all day. Nothing else mattered.

Ofcourse the usual remark for this is to say "Well gee jim, they've earned it, what with their lifetime of work", which is fine... but guess what, the future is amazingly not the same as the past, things change and society needs to grow up.

9. Mason-

Mobster

The biggest issue I have is, the voting age is 18 now and to run as an MP you need to be 18 too.

I think it would be wholly unfair if you're allowed to vote at 16 but not run for MP too. And I think they have to come hand in hand. That being said you have to be in some form of education up to the age of 18 now I believe, so that makes things difficult but not insurmountable. It would also be hilarious having 16 year olds in the house of commons, debating and voting on laws. And getting called every name under the sun from various different news media providers depending on what party they stood for.

I generally would prefer it if children were shielded from politics but I understand that's a patriarchal government point of view on the matter.

Also when women and working class men were given the vote. Parties began aiming political campaigns specifically towards those demographics. You even had parties saying "Our opposition doesn't stand up for women or the working class". I'd really not like to see **** slinging and parties deliberately targeting young people to vote for them.

10. Tefal

Capo Crimine

Actually this is a fantastic point and not one of considered before.

By lowering the age to 16 you make all teenagers open targets for heavily funded and reasearched abuse.

11. Conzer

Associate

If you can get married and join the army at 16 - then yes!

12. PiKe

Capodecina

I'm 34, I think 16 year olds should be allowed to vote as the decisions have a bigger impact on their future.

13. StriderX

Capodecina

Explain (please).

14. Tefal

Capo Crimine

Campaigns go negative on day one now days and nott just at the csndidate/opinion but also at the voters.

As adults we can handle the usual slagging off "trump voters have lower iqs", "brexit voters are uneducated" etc and workplaces dont tend to have bullying.

By bringing in schoolchildren we open up the playground to this kind of abuse/targeting with the campaign lead not by a school bully but by expensive think tanks working up the best abusive arguments

15. Skunkworks

Soldato

The voting age should be raised to 21. Only those with awful ideas need to target the young and ignorant.

16. StriderX

Capodecina

As apposed to the awful ideas to target the elderly and temporarily embarrassed millionaires?

Just make the voting age 42 and only 42...

17. darkgen

Wise Guy

No. Keep it simple. in the UK, 18 is the current age for public office responsibility ergo to serve in public duties; whether that be for jury service, standing to become a member of parliament or voting in local or general elections.

18. Kaapstad

Man of Honour

The Nazis understood what a lethal combination youth and politics were.

With the Hitler youth they indoctrinated a whole generation, many of them were total fanatics.

19. StriderX

Capodecina

Uhh, ok.

While there's some truth there, relegating two years of someones life because "Hitler", isn't particularly kosher is it? Are the 18 year old's not also youth?

20. computer2268

Associate

Not exactly the whole story. If parents tried to stop their children being indoctrinated, the children would express dissent in public and this would flag their parents as dissidents. the Nazis were only able to exploit German youth fully after they were in power. Also, even before that when they used the Hitler Youth as thugs, they never dreamed of giving them the vote.