1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should 16 year old's be allowed to vote?

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by ultralaser, Nov 4, 2017.

1. XeNoN89

Sgarrista

No. 16 year old's are mostly idiots.

2. Hades

Capodecina

I've thought about this quite a bit. My daughter is approaching 15 and I don't think she has enough life experience to understand the long term implications of some policies. We certainly discussed them at the last election and have done since. I can't see that changing in another year. There will be some 16 year olds who do. But I think in general that 16 is just a little too young. However I wouldn't be opposed to 17 years olds being able to vote as I think they will quite a bit more mature even just a year later.

3. StriderX

Capodecina

If people want to vote, let them.

Just make it so the parents need to give permission, it's a stopgap, but it's worthwhile.

4. Hades

Capodecina

My 11 year old son wants to vote. Should we let him?

EDIT: You added the following after my initial quote so I'll also respond on that:
    That won't work. What will happen is that only parents who's children want to vote the same way as the parents will be allowed. Some parents won't allow their children to vote if they think they will vote the 'wrong' way. So you'll be massively increasing the voting power of people with children compared to people without children. For example, my vote would be worth three votes because I would allow them to vote only if they agreed with me.

The strength of of democracy is that every person (who is allowed to vote) has one vote in equality with others. Their vote is in secret and should not be influenced unduly by others.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  5. Skunkworks

Soldato

ITT, people with unpopular ideas trying desperately to get at kids.

6. StriderX

Capodecina

Except we all know that simply isn't how it's currently working is it? We have some right old ******** who think in such plain and absurdly uneducated terms, that they may as well be 10 years old anyway.

...and simply because of that, it shouldn't be a barrier for people who want to vote on their future, not all parents are ****. But yes i don't mean that any age should be allowed to vote, as we would indeed get people registering their infants for voting on their terms.

I'd say the absolute bare minimum a society can go is likely 13, 16 is good for numerous lawful reasons considering what 16 years are asked to do.

Also, and humorously, perhaps it'd be a good thing that people with children have a disproportionate vote... it's their children's future after all and maybe it'd spur people into having them in the first place (always seems to be a complaint from Neocons).

7. nicktay2605

Mobster

I think it's a bit much that 16-year-olds can join the military and get a job (therefore contributing to the economy and, in the case of joining the forces, the defence of the nation), but aren't allowed a vote. I also think it's a sweeping statement to suggest that 16-year-olds aren't mature or informed enough to understand British politics. After all, there are plenty of adults who don't have any knowledge or curiosity of politics.

I think either school leaving age should be raised to 18, joining the military should be 18, and the voting age should be 18, thereby bringing everything in line with the idea that you're capable of making your own decisions when you're an adult in the eyes of the law, or we should reduce the voting age to 16 and keep everything else as it is at present.

8. Evosparki

Gangster

As a 37y/o myself, I think the absolute minimum voting age should be 25, preferably 30.
    There is no way what so ever, for at least 99% of 18-24y/o's have enough life experience to be voting on national issues, no matter how educated they are.

9. StriderX

Capodecina

Why is it always the bloody brexiteers trying to reduce voting rights?

The fact that literally senile old codgers can cast a vote is bad enough, don't go removing entirely lucid people's ability to vote.

10. mid_gen

Sgarrista

Should be 16, teach some contemporary politics and show kids how to vote when they're in school and they might remain engaged as they get older.

The 'life experience' argument is pathetic frankly. Times change, life for a kid going through school now is drastically different to when I did, so they DO know better than old farts like me on many subjects.

11. Skunkworks

Soldato

They share your ignorant and unpopular ideas, only being kids they have an excuse.

12. eldergeek

Gangster

Ah here we go. Conveiently forgetting that both the liberal democrats and Labour as a party are awfully keen to give 16 year olds voting rights. Not to mention the England hate party that is the SNP.

13. StriderX

Capodecina

Because it's morally justified, where as Mr Tory party is all about killing the helpless and infirm.

14. eldergeek

Gangster

How is it morally justified, giving emotionally unstable, immature children a vote? They've contributed nothing to the country whatsoever, very probably have veruy little civic interest...

Voting is an honour and a privilege; it should be earned so that it's understood how precious a voice is.

15. StriderX

Capodecina

You literally have no idea what children are in a capitalist society?

Beyond the emotive arguments, they are the literal embodiment of growth and continued advancement as long as you, you know nurture it.

16. eldergeek

Gangster

And you're an exceptionally deluded fool if you think that millenials and the younger generations that have come after are anything other than borderline sociopathis thugs, entirely focused on id with little to no concept or care for the greater good, sacrifice or community spirit. Nurture? What's been nurtured? Society has managed to raise generations of spoiled, ill educated torags through years of use of the almighty playstation and the magic box in the corner as a parenting tool, and submitting to their every whim; and then removing any threat of discipline by legislating against any kind of chastisement or corporal punishment.

The progressive agenda should positively hang its head in shame for the damage that it's wrought.

17. StriderX

Capodecina

You know "millennial's" include people aged 36 to 21 right? More or less worked at least a few years to a mildly worked-in career. No agenda has "wrought" anything, it's entirely the terrible economic/social impasse we reached in the 80s which led to what some and perhaps even myself at this point, to this ultra-narcissistic society, that's the parents problem for ******* off when their children needed them.

18. mid_gen

Sgarrista

I'll take the younger generations over the sociopathic old codgers that have been twisted into frothing, hateful bags of bile by the never-ending deluge of manufactured outrage they hoover up through tabloid hate rags.

Particularly the ones that sit on their proverbial high horse talking about how 'they managed it', sitting on vast amounts of property equity that they literally did absolutely nothing to earn....while criticising younger generations for not trying hard enough.

19. Skunkworks

Soldato

I actually agree with mid_gen and StriderX. The average 16yo is wiser and more informed than the 2 of you.

20. sityeuropa

Wise Guy

Should the honest question instead be:

"How can we tilt another referendum so remain wins?"

Like you want a 16 year voting for anything. I wouldn't trust them wash a car.

Stop kidding yourselves. Remainers get more pathetic everyday. Never seen such a mass tantrum.