Should a 97 year old man be driving on a public road?

Caporegime
I drove a Black Cab for almost 30 years and never wore a seatbelt, there is a loophole in the law.
If a licenced taxi driver is cruising for a job, with the TAXI sign illuminated, or he has a fare on board, then he is NOT required by law to wear a seatbelt, (at least in London).
It stems from the idea that if a fare was to try and attack you, you’d have more chance to escape if unfettered.
If your TAXI light is not illuminated, or you have no fare on board, you’re subject to the same seatbelt law as everyone else.
I can’t stand the restriction a belt gives, and my GP issued me with an exemption certificate in the mid eighties, I’d pleaded feelings of claustrophobia.
If I’m driving my wife’s car, alone, I plug the n/s front belt into the driving seat, eliminating the click, click, click.
If I’m driving abroad, I’ll bite the bullet and wear the belt, but it drives me bananas, I hold the wheel with my right hand, and hold the belt away from my body with my left.

And that is relevant to him how?

Man of Honour
And that is relevant to him how?

To him, not relevant at all, but there had been a few posts pushing the fact that he’d been seen driving while not wearing a seatbelt.
I thought that I’d just mention that not everyone driving sans seatbelt was breaking the law, that’s all.

Man of Honour
I agree that the elderly gent in question should have been charged with driving without due care and attention, he would then have been able to explain in public that he was entirely blameless.

I have no idea why you think his skin wealth, colour, gender or the fact that he has some archaic hereditiry entitlement is in any way relevant

I don't. Many of the people who presume guilt to. It's how presumption of guilt works.

Soldato
Bit of a resurrection

Made me chuckle abit

A woman who criticised the Duke of Edinburgh after his Sandringham car crash left her with a broken wrist has been fined and banned from driving for six months over four unconnected earlier motoring offences.
The 46-year-old, who called for Philip to be prosecuted if found to be at fault, was sentenced in her absence at King's Lynn Magistrates' Court today.

She had faced two counts of speeding and two of failing to identify the driver of a Volkswagen Golf alleged to have been guilty of an offence last year.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...olved-crash-Prince-Philip-banned-driving.html

Soldato
Bit of a resurrection

Made me chuckle abit

A woman who criticised the Duke of Edinburgh after his Sandringham car crash left her with a broken wrist has been fined and banned from driving for six months over four unconnected earlier motoring offences.
The 46-year-old, who called for Philip to be prosecuted if found to be at fault, was sentenced in her absence at King's Lynn Magistrates' Court today.

She had faced two counts of speeding and two of failing to identify the driver of a Volkswagen Golf alleged to have been guilty of an offence last year.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...olved-crash-Prince-Philip-banned-driving.html

Some basic background journalism would have done the trick here. But that's not why the mainstream UK media exists.

Man of Honour
It was recorded at 38mph on the first occasion and at 39mph on the second.

Not condoning it but plenty of people I encounter on my commute who sit at 40mph in a 30 and 40mph pretty much everywhere else.

Caporegime
I did a speed awareness course because I accidentally did 35mph in a 30mph zone (it wasn't residential)

I genuinely found the course really interesting and though I didn't really think of myself as somebody who drove fast, it did make me more aware of my speed, distance to other cars and the pointlessness of speeding on the majority of public roads.

Soldato
still popular in the USA ?
(why did no one tell me about cold war steve ... he would win all the ocuk photoshop competitions -
now trying to find Steve's video they played an excerpt of, with David Cameron on death bed repenting on brexit - anyone ?)

48023553461_8dece2846c_o_d.jpg

Soldato
I did a speed awareness course because I accidentally did 35mph in a 30mph zone (it wasn't residential)

I genuinely found the course really interesting and though I didn't really think of myself as somebody who drove fast, it did make me more aware of my speed, distance to other cars and the pointlessness of speeding on the majority of public roads.
Those courses should be compulsory for everyone on completion of driving test.
I had to do a course too. Initially thought it would be a load of condescending crap, however, turned out it to be anything but. Very useful and informative about driving in general.

Soldato
still popular in the USA ?
(why did no one tell me about cold war steve ... he would win all the ocuk photoshop competitions -
now trying to find Steve's video they played an excerpt of, with David Cameron on death bed repenting on brexit - anyone ?)
I love cold war steve, but I'm really struggling to find a stretch as to how that picture in any way relates to the popularity of the British monarchy in the US?

Soldato
Some 97 year old man was driving a Range Rover and pulling out of a driveway onto the A149 when an accident involving another vehicle occurred. The Range Rover ended up on its side and the driver was reported as being conscious but "very, very shocked" and shaken but not seriously injured.

It is not clear at what speed the other vehicle was travelling or whether either driver was breathalysed or what the result was but I really don't think that any 97 year old man should be let loose on the public road.

What do the denizens of OcUK's General Discussion think?

ps - The occupants of the other vehicle, an unidentified saloon car, are reported as having been treated for minor injuries but are apparently not seriously injured either.

Land Rover. No wonder the police are useless.

Back
Top Bottom