Should a prime minister have personal holidays paid for?

Caporegime
Who cares? David Ross has given lots to the Tory party over the years, he's given David Cameron plenty of things in the past as well.

Who are you to say who a multi millionaire can or can't give his money to?

If someone wants to give Boris a free holiday because they're absolutely loaded then who cares.

Welcome to how some people live their lives.
Exactly, but everyone else gets a pass, but because it’s Boris, it’s unforgivable corruption. Burn the Witch!

Soldato
He also got paid £22k a month for 10 hours work for The Telegraph, amongst things like being paid £50k for a speaking event, why is the holiday such a big thing? £15k isn't even much money to him

Caporegime
Why does he need a businessman to pay £15k for accommodation? What does the businessman get out of this?

Am I being nieve/stupid? Or should there be laws in place against this sort of thing?

He doesn't need a businessman to pay £15k for accommodation - it is a benefit that has a value though, someone has lent him their villa for a holiday and he's declared the notional value of what he'd have had to pay for that on the rental market in the register of member's interests or whatever because it has crossed the threshold for declaring this stuff.

If one of Corbyn's union pals invites him to his flat in Margate for the weekend to go to beach in the rain then eat some beans for tea he's also getting a benefit in kind, but it's probably too low value to need to be declared.

It's hardly Boris fault that he's got rich chums and/or doesn't need to avoid being seen to enjoy a bit of luxury unlike Corbyn (who also has a decent net worth)who wants to play at being the everyday ordinary bloke etc...

Soldato
it's the world we live in .. company's pay millions in an attempt to pass a law .. or steer one ..
why not go to the front of the que ..
yes it's wrong but how the **** can the likes of you and me stop it ?

By not voting for immoral people like Boris, and Trump in America.

I'm not saying that other politicians are always squeaky clean, but when you vote for people who have a track record like theirs you can't really be surprised when it happens so blatantly.

Soldato
How much of this is paying for the holiday itself, and how much is paying for the security required for such a person while on holiday?

Securing your PM when they take a trip abroad is sensible and for many more palatable I'd imagine, at least when compared to 'paying' for a holiday in full.

Caporegime
How much of this is paying for the holiday itself, and how much is paying for the security required for such a person while on holiday?

Securing your PM when they take a trip abroad is sensible and for many more palatable I'd imagine.

None of either, it was just the notional cost of renting the villa if he had rented it... instead someone lent it to him for the holiday.

Soldato
None of either, it was just the notional cost of renting the villa if he had rented it... instead someone lent it to him for the holiday.

So basically, Boris went on holiday to a secure location but because he knew the person they waived the cost?

If that is the case I better send an angry letter to the guy that let me borrow his caravan in Seahouses last year when I went on a fishing trip for the gift of a bottle of whisky.

So basically, Boris went on holiday to a secure location but because he knew the person they waived the cost?

If that is the case I better send an angry letter to the guy that let me borrow his caravan in Seahouses last year when I went on a fishing trip for the gift of a bottle of whisky.

Appears to be exactly this. I'm no bojo fan but come on. Pick your battles people

Caporegime

Pretty much, I mean I wouldn’t even frame it as “waived the cost” rather just leant him the holiday home and he has to declare it as that’s worth something.

Caporegime
The story has changed since it was reported yesterday.

My quoted text is what the original story said

You quoted a snippet of it and it wasn’t the only outlet, read between the lines - the BBC article still initially gives the wrong impression. It was pretty clear what had happened and I commented as such last night.

Soldato
MPs have set themselves up nicely while screwing over the rest of the public sector.

No pay rises for over 10 years for most, reduced pensions. But MPs have found the cash to give themselves increases yearly on already big wages.

Caporegime
OP
MPs have set themselves up nicely while screwing over the rest of the public sector.

No pay rises for over 10 years for most, reduced pensions. But MPs have found the cash to give themselves increases yearly on already big wages.

I also read that what the house of Lord's are allowed to claim daily in expenses has just passed what people over 25 on universal credit get in an entire month.

Back
Top Bottom