Should a prime minister have personal holidays paid for?

Caporegime
Dodgy as hell regardless who does it but even worse, it now appears Johnson might have lied about who paid for it.

I'm sure the usual lot will rustle up a defence for that also.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
The only thing which i took from the OP is him only having a net worth of £1.6m. This is a man who has had a large income for years (7 figures in a single year recently so is reported) and is a member of a wealthy family, surely he is (obviously is?) far wealthier than that :confused:

Caporegime
The only thing which i took from the OP is him only having a net worth of £1.6m. This is a man who has had a large income for years (7 figures in a single year recently so is reported) and is a member of a wealthy family, surely he is (obviously is?) far wealthier than that :confused:

Cocaine and hookers are expensive you know?? ;)

On a serious note he probably has millions stashed away in off shore tax havens so they arent counted in working out his net worth.

I mean it is ridiculous. I only earn a 6 figure salary but my net worth is around half of his.

Caporegime
You honestly think that a man that earns £1 million per year is going to by “bought” for a £15k!

Clerical error at worst, desperate BOJO bashing, non story.

Its not actually. Nobody knows for sure because of the way it has been done, as to who has gifted him the £15k villa. I bet if it had been Corbyn you would have wanted to know who was perhaps trying to influence him?

Soldato
Corbyn you would have wanted to know who was perhaps trying to influence him?

Who, Corbyn is meaningless, dead man walking.

With the current Conservative majority Labour are pretty much an irrelevance for the next 5 years, hopefully they can use this time to get their act together. Labour were warned on multiple occasions that they were backing the "wrong horse" and that their policies and their stand on Brexit were at odds with their electorate, they paid the price ;)

Last edited:
Don
+1

I'm not allowed to accept or give gifts to people of influence of any value above £25 or something, due to anti corruption policies.
Had a look into this, our fantastic law makers (the MPs) made the Anti-Corruption laws only apply to payments to foreign officials, not our own. Obviously didn’t want to harm their own income streams :rolleyes:

Caporegime
Dodgy as hell regardless who does it but even worse, it now appears Johnson might have lied about who paid for it.

I'm sure the usual lot will rustle up a defence for that also.

Lied about who paid for it? How do you know anyone paid for it?

He put the friends name down as he arranged it, there isn’t anything to say that any money changed hands/that anyone paid for it. The house was available or rooms in the house were available and someone let him use it or stay with them.

Caporegime
Lied about who paid for it? How do you know anyone paid for it?

He put the friends name down as he arranged it, there isn’t anything to say that any money changed hands/that anyone paid for it. The house was available or rooms in the house were available and someone let him use it or stay with them.

Doesnt matter if nobody paid for it. It has a value. Otherwise you could just "loan" somebody a £5m house and 300 luxury yacht with no money changing hands and that wouldnt be seen as dodgy?

Soldato
Wasn't Blair in the habit of having lots of holidays with foreign "Friends"? Was there any outrage at the time over this??

The bottom line is they all do it, and as long as they All do it, it really isn't that much of a problem

Caporegime
Doesnt matter if nobody paid for it. It has a value. Otherwise you could just "loan" somebody a £5m house and 300 luxury yacht with no money changing hands and that wouldnt be seen as dodgy?

No one claimed it didn’t have value?

It’s a bit of a different dynamic though - someone inviting him to stay with them or letting them use an otherwise empty villa vs someone handing over cash to pay for a holiday.

Caporegime
No one claimed it didn’t have value?

It’s a bit of a different dynamic though - someone inviting him to stay with them or letting them use an otherwise empty villa vs someone handing over cash to pay for a holiday.

Not really. Even if somebody cancelled on the villa i doubt it was it very short notice otherwise BJ would have had something else lined up and with it being new Year and prime travel to that region, most places will be 100% booked up ages ago and they wouldnt have had any problem finding somebody to take it for £15k. So somebody, somewhere has given up £15k of money and BJ has gained to the value of £15k

I would just like to know who that was. I am sure BJ will know.

Caporegime
Not really. Even if somebody cancelled on the villa i doubt it was it very short notice otherwise BJ would have had something else lined up and with it being new Year and prime travel to that region, most places will be 100% booked up ages ago and they wouldnt have had any problem finding somebody to take it for £15k. So somebody, somewhere has given up £15k of money and BJ has gained to the value of £15k

I would just like to know who that was. I am sure BJ will know.

Yeah plenty of assumptions there - you don't know that someone would have given up 15k... in fact the 15 k thing seems odd as plenty of these houses go for more than that - so was he a guest? Were others stying there?

Anything like this - staying at a holiday home of a friend of a friend, using a helicopter etc.. is a potential benefit and if over a threshold needs to be declared, which he did.

Back
Top Bottom