Should bullying at schools be a criminal offence?

Caporegime
No comment on the actual punishment from the law but surely any resistance to say bullying is not a crime means bullying should be accepted daily practice.

Should we therefore encourage it if there is no deterrent to discourage it. Clearly telling kids to stop is never going to work.

May be skip the criminal part, just tie the culprits naked to a pole and throw eggs at them for the day. Get Biblical? You only need 1 be made an example out of and the bullying will stop.

Right? Of course that’s not the right thing to do.

I don’t think “they are just kids” is an excuse for bad behaviour, certainly not consistent and prolonged bullying. If it’s your kid getting his head kicked in at school, you want the bully to be punished too right?. If there is no punishment, then there is no consequence. People (and kids) needs to learn from a young age that their action have consequences. Right? The consequences might not be £45k fine or 10 years in prison, again, that’s down to smarter people to determine, like a judge to determine the level of punishment. But you cannot just turn a blind eye and say “it builds character”, it also builds character of the bully too, for him to think he can do bad things without punishment, even when caught. What kind of character does that build?

I understand the thinking of “oh you need to get tough, life is tough, be a man, grow some balls”. What’s next? Ask him to punch back? Ask him to keep taking the kicking throughout school? Or should there be a strong enough deterrent so that people do not commit the act in the first place?

I think that to resist to criminalise bullying is akin to encourage it. All it takes for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing. To do nothing for bullying…

Last edited:
Soldato
I think fines should be sent out to parents, Then parents should correct the kids behaviour.

Too many parents are lazy these days when it comes to actually bringing up their kids with respect.

V F

V F

Soldato
This country is way too soft on school kids, years ago back in about 2007 a gang of girl bullies all beat up a girl they had been bullying, some of them held her down while they took turns stamping on her head. This was outside the school gates and she ended up in a coma.

Do you know what they did to that gang, expelled them from the school obviously but not one of them was sent to young offenders even for a day.

They were given some type of probation officer / minder lady ( some really soft old dear ) and they were all trained as hair dressers with tax payers money.

I actually met them all with their minder while they were also being trained in basic IT, and the worst thing was it was kept secret from everyone around them what they had done. I only knew because some locals told me who they were and what the minder was for.

To this day i am sickened by how the system treated a very very serious assault

Damn. That's brutal. I don't remember girls like that in the mid 90s in school.

Caporegime
No comment on the actual punishment from the law but surely any resistance to say bullying is not a crime means bullying should be accepted daily practice.

Should we therefore encourage it if there is no deterrent to discourage it. Clearly telling kids to stop is never going to work.

May be skip the criminal part, just tie the culprits naked to a pole and throw eggs at them for the day. Get Biblical? You only need 1 be made an example out of and the bullying will stop.

Right? Of course that’s not the right thing to do.

I don’t think “they are just kids” is an excuse for bad behaviour, certainly not consistent and prolonged bullying. If it’s your kid getting his head kicked in at school, you want the bully to be punished too right?. If there is no punishment, then there is no consequence. People (and kids) needs to learn from a young age that their action have consequences. Right? The consequences might not be £45k fine or 10 years in prison, again, that’s down to smarter people to determine, like a judge to determine the level of punishment. But you cannot just turn a blind eye and say “it builds character”, it also builds character of the bully too, for him to think he can do bad things without punishment, even when caught. What kind of character does that build?

I understand the thinking of “oh you need to get tough, life is tough, be a man, grow some balls”. What’s next? Ask him to punch back? Ask him to keep taking the kicking throughout school? Or should there be a strong enough deterrent so that people do not commit the act in the first place?

I think that to resist to criminalise bullying is akin to encourage it. All it takes for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing. To do nothing for bullying…
There's a couple things, here.

1. Recently society has decided that parents must not smack their kids, and that it should be considered assault as it would were the recipient an adult.
2. Because of 1, then any instance of a child physically bullying another child must also be assault, purely for consistency. You can't criminalise smacking and then allow kids hitting each other, as it would make no sense. It's either assault or it's not.

So it follows then that you have to start going after kids with assault charges. On the one hand, they aren't fully mentally developed, but on the other hand, they do know how to follow rules and act in their own self-interest, from quite a young age.

Do you go after the parents or the kids themselves?

Some kids are ****holes because their parents are ****holes, I think we all know kids like this from our own childhoods. So perhaps going after the parents is the way forwards. But then maybe not, because abusive adults aren't all that likely to change their ways. Normally the best you can hope for is that karma bites them in the ass, hard.

And we know what taking kids away from their biological parents is a touchy subject. But seriously, how many ****hole kids don't have at least one ****hole parent?

Man of Honour
The problem with bullying in schools is multifaceted and much worse than when I was a kid:

Social media and technology make bullying a 24/7 activity and can be significantly more cruel - no longer is humiliation limited to those that saw something.
Agreed. It used to be that home was a safe haven away from the bullies but nowadays there will doubtless be a snapchat group or whatever sharing photoshopped pics of someone, or a video of them being bullied, urinated on or whatever. Those getting bullied will suffer more exclusion whilst simultaneously re-enforcing the acts of the bullies. I mean when I was at school, people probably told jokes at my expense behind my back but I'd be oblivious to most them and only a small number of people would hear them rather than the whole year.

Even leaving genuine bullying to one side it must be a horrible environment for 'outcasts' to grow up in, conversations at school dominated by something shared on the chat group that nearly everyone except them is a member of, people laughing at the fact they only have 8 friends on whatever social media site compared to others with 100+. There's probably peer pressure to make them even more excluded, i.e. the 'midrange' kids that want to fit in with the cool gang aren't going to add the outcasts on their social media for fear of being mocked.

I could be wide of the mark as it is difficult to judge (hardly anyone had the internet when I was at school) but I can see it being a nightmare for some kids these days. I was subject to minor bullying at various times over my disability, but I could largely avoid/ignore it.

Soldato
Criminal offence is probably too far but fines probably would work in certain cases

Shamefully I was a bit of a bully and a group of us would bully this one kid in middle school, school did quite a lot to stop it but honestly we were relentless even after having a sit down with the kid and his parents. Something I regret to this day, at the time as kids it was nothing only when you get older you realise.

im pretty certain our group would have stopped if parents got fined and we got a clip round the ears for it.

Caporegime
Assualt, harassment, ABH etc.. are already illegal - I don't see why there need be some new offence of "bullying" - it seems like a bit of pointless virtue signalling (similar in some ways to wanting to make "hate crime" a thing etc..).

Generally, bullying is something a school should deal with, adding in a new criminal offence when 99.9% of bullying cases won't involve existing criminal charges is rather futile. If a case of bullying gets the point where say a teenager is seriously injured after being physically attacked by another then the police could already be called and existing legislation already exists to deal with that.

Lots of bullying is more likely to involve name-calling, teasing etc... and more minor physical stuff that schools should be able to handle.

I guess if they want to introduce criminal offences in relation to schools not dealing with bullying then that perhaps is a different matter - a legal obligation to have certain measures in place, reporting requirements, follow-ups etc.. might perhaps be useful. Extra criminal charges to potentially throw at kids themselves on the other hand, nope!

Soldato
That doesn't happen now. It's illegal to smack. And hit a kid in the head... asking for prison time there.
Naa it's only a problem if it bruises:p. Even though I'm too young to have had the cane at school (I'm 35), I believe it kept kids in check. I don't care what anyone says, violence is the most effect form of discipline. If not we wouldn't need an army. I'm not sure we ever had any kids stamping on other kids heads, but then again who knows going on the post above.

Soldato
Bullies never prosper, so the saying goes. By all accounts the people that bullied me aren't doing very well now, so karma was served without the need for a change in the law.

Soldato
Naa it's only a problem if it bruises:p. Even though I'm too young to have had the cane at school (I'm 35), I believe it kept kids in check. I don't care what anyone says, violence is the most effect form of discipline. If not we wouldn't need an army. I'm not sure we ever had any kids stamping on other kids heads, but then again who knows going on the post above.

The problem with smacking kids is that it teaches them that violence gets results. Kids then use that against other kids, it's not a good way to deal with the bullying issue.

That's pretty much why it's banned the world over.

Back
Top Bottom