Should I ban fortnite in my household?

Soldato
if you can't make decisions about your family yourself w/out asking a bunch of strangers on a forum, maybe you shouldn't have children.

Never asked a friend for advice? Wanted to know what the popular opinion was? Wanted to know if anyone could offer advice on a situation they had already experienced?

No I guess not, as clearly you already know everything.

Soldato
i think you need to give up know, lol.
nah, calling you out on your obnoxious trolly posts then watching you squirm and try and act clever is too much fun
you can always spot the desperation/incompetence when people take the effort to try and dissect line-by-line and use the same excuse for each part.
why is it desperate or incompetent? or are you using words again you don't understand but think they sound cool? and what tosh are you talking about 'use the same excuse for each part'
maybe you need a ban for trolling and picking fights.
trolling? most certainly not, you have a demonstrable history of posting obnoxious offensive posts - calling you out on those is not trolling. and if i wanted to pick a fight i'd knock on your door rather than, like you, try and act the 'big fella' on an internet forum.
I'll bow out now - no amount of nonsense in your response is going to cause me to continue to derail this thread. if you want to discuss further star ta specific thread and i'm sure it'll be popular and entertaining :)

Soldato
I would have benefited from not staying up late playing video games, but banning them all together would've just made me go to my friends house to play and resent my parents

Soldato
We hope so, whichever way, it's proving to be a tough lesson to learn for him

He manages to get ready for school every morning, he manages to stick to a timetable at school. Therefore no reason for not being able to do chores at home before gaming.

That's why we do it this way, so he learns to hopefully speed up and get his gaming time and learns the consequences of not doing the important things first.

Tonight I'm trying to keep a diary of what he does so he can visually see where he is wasting time, may seem OTT, but I'm fed up of having the same argument every night week after week and being told it's my fault

Someone else has already said this but you need to change the approach. Stop saying he can have an hour, and start saying he can play the game until X time at night. The argument you are saying comes down to your son not being happy that he isn't getting his 1hour of fortnite in the evenings.

Well change the rules, don't promise him an hour of fortnite per night if he gets his jobs done.

Let him have fortnite time after his jobs are done, give him a maximum of 1.5 hours per night but say all chores / homework done first and everything off by 9pm.

This removes the argument of not getting an hour, this puts all the responsibility on your son, and it gives him a little more incentive to get things done if he thinks he can get a little extra.

Pet Northerner
Don
Someone else has already said this but you need to change the approach. Stop saying he can have an hour, and start saying he can play the game until X time at night. The argument you are saying comes down to your son not being happy that he isn't getting his 1hour of fortnite in the evenings.

Well change the rules, don't promise him an hour of fortnite per night if he gets his jobs done.

Let him have fortnite time after his jobs are done, give him a maximum of 1.5 hours per night but say all chores / homework done first and everything off by 9pm.

This removes the argument of not getting an hour, this puts all the responsibility on your son, and it gives him a little more incentive to get things done if he thinks he can get a little extra.

That's a really good way of dealing with things IMO

Soldato

good idea, but i guess the risk with that approach is that he 'skimps' on the other things he needs to do in order to get done by a certain time. e.g. homework only gets half done etc.

Associate
Really tempted to ban this game, it's causing so many arguments at the mo with my teenager it's absurd.

I hate the fact that there is so much peer pressure over this game between him and his mates with v bucks and in game purchases, I cannot stand games like this, it's like the ea loot crate problem but ten times worse.

Has anybody else stopped their child from playing this game?. He is 13 by the way.

maybe you shouldn't have bought them the game in the first place?

Soldato
good idea, but i guess the risk with that approach is that he 'skimps' on the other things he needs to do in order to get done by a certain time. e.g. homework only gets half done etc.

Based on what the OP has said there are already rules in place to make sure standards are kept so I wouldn't expect that to change :)

Caporegime
I would have benefited from not staying up late playing video games, but banning them all together would've just made me go to my friends house to play and resent my parents
So instead of resenting your parents like a normal teenager, you played video games whilst being up late and then becoming the person you now are?

C'mon dude, you're writing these hot takes for me!

Pet Northerner
Don
No idea why it is even so popular to be honest, looks utter garbage to me :confused:

I guess it's a kid's thing and I just don't understand being an old git...

Just a sign of the times changing - when I was a kid growing up in the 90s - it was all about football stickers. Christ know how much pocket money I blew on them.

But if you weren't swapping stickers at school, you lost out on a big social interaction.

In the digital age it's all about the popular game and right now, it's fortnite.

Back
Top Bottom