Should I be looking for a kite marked PDU?

Associate
I figure this is the best place to ask this question - plan on putting our home networking kit into a small wall mounted rack - at the moment I've got ethernet cable all over the place, from other rooms and exterior CCTV. When I say I plan on doing it, this has been ongoing since 2019 :eek:

Looking at the various PDUs available - and in a bit of good timing noticed the surge protection light on a rather old Masterplug strip has gone, so would have to replace that anyway.

Seems a lot of the PDUs, without spending mega bucks, are just CE/ROHS marked and I guess all made in the same place - looking on the rainforest, they all seem similar in terms of performance. Is this something I should be looking for a BS kite mark on? Failing that, I am looking at IONZ 6 way surge protected PDUs or the Comms Express equivalent. Any recommendations for something that won't incinerate me and the house?

Really don't want to/nor see the need to pay more than £40-ish, so paying up for APC like kit is out of my price range!

Associate
I got a cheap one from somewhere. The front bits that hold the plugs fall off. I unplugged a device not realising that the front plastic but had come off as well leaving bare wire terminals behind, and then didn't look and got a shock that blew the trip switch. In short - probably wise to get a better one ;)

Associate
OP
I got a cheap one from somewhere. The front bits that hold the plugs fall off. I unplugged a device not realising that the front plastic but had come off as well leaving bare wire terminals behind, and then didn't look and got a shock that blew the trip switch. In short - probably wise to get a better one ;)
Thanks, after a bit more looking I gave up to be honest. Seems that there's a bit of a tax on anything 'rack mount' and half decent - didn't want to risk a dodgy PDU sending the house/networking gear up in smoke.

In the end I just bought a Masterplug surge protection strip, I will mount it to a DIN rail at the back of the patching rack and it will be out of sight. I save a 1U section and also know what I bought has some credibility to it.

Back
Top Bottom