• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Should I buy a 1070ti right now?

Soldato
Hi all,

I have been looking at this GPU on the OcUK website and it has caught my eye. I am currently using an XFX 8GB 390 (the one everyone bought) and was wondering if it's worth the purchase. I am currently running at 1080p/60fps but will be moving to 1440p/122/144hz in the near future.

Is the 1070ti worth it at this point or am I better holding out? I don't really want to spend more than £700-800 on a monitor and GPU.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Associate
I would say wait until you actually decide to buy the monitor and buy them together. Unless you mean that is going to be sooner than you think! 1070ti is a good card, shame about all the mining prices..

Soldato
I would wait until the 1170 comes out, No idea when that is but seems bit late to be throwing down £400 when new cards are just round the corner.

If you do go for a 1070ti I would probably stick the extra £20 and get the gigabyte one with the back plate and 3 year warranty.

Soldato
OP
I would say wait until you actually decide to buy the monitor and buy them together. Unless you mean that is going to be sooner than you think! 1070ti is a good card, shame about all the mining prices..

It will be within the month (next payday xD)

I would wait until the 1170 comes out, No idea when that is but seems bit late to be throwing down £400 when new cards are just round the corner.

If you do go for a 1070ti I would probably stick the extra £20 and get the gigabyte one with the back plate and 3 year warranty.

Fair point, I've not bought a new card since the 390 though, it's always done me well. I've waited a while for this upgrade waiting for prices to drop and it really feels like we're starting to see that happen, I'm just fed up of waiting.

Soldato
The answer is I dont know.

Assumptions are been made that 11 series cards will have the same RRP.

Traditionally that would be the case, but with recent events I would not be surprised to see the price increased on 11 series cards and then in turn 10 series cards prices also go up to make the 11 series prices attractive and low stock for no longer manufactured parts been used as the excuse for the 10 series cards.

This is actually exactly what happened when pascal got launched.

900 series cards shot up and 1000 series cards had higher prices than 900 series cards.

so e.g. right now on ocuk palit 1070ti £420

I wouldnt be surprised to see something like this at launch for 1100 series.

1170 £500
1070ti £550

or even like this

1170 £500
1070 £550
1070ti £620

Soldato
Also waiting here as my r9 290 is very old now and the noise at load is getting to me. Not to mention I've been in the AMD camp since the 9700 Pro days. Sick of their drivers too so I'm desperate to get away. Got £500 tops to blow and am getting impatient :o

Associate
Right now the 1070Ti seems a good compromise, it doesn’t cost much more than the 1070, it’s a good saving over the 1080 and with a bit of overclocking it could probably keep up with one

But who knows what’s going to happen when the new cards come out!

Soldato
I use two in Sli and they're pretty capable. Right now I'd rather wait for next gen if it were me, unless someone really needs something right now such as if old card has failed.
Pascal is still good but is nearly 2 years old now. Something improved all round is bound to be not far away.
Used prices might take a hammering but it depends on the availability of the new cards when they arrive.
The fact that NV have been out of stock of FE cards for a while now makes me think it's EOL now, rightly or wrong (assumed)

Soldato
Also waiting here as my r9 290 is very old now and the noise at load is getting to me. Not to mention I've been in the AMD camp since the 9700 Pro days. Sick of their drivers too so I'm desperate to get away. Got £500 tops to blow and am getting impatient :o
Nvidia drivers aren't any better - I wouldn't let that be the only reason to switch :/

Associate
My intention was to wait but it's like everything, do I wait for next gen or buy now, so I bought now lol(very impatient)
I went for a 1080ti and I'm sure it will still be in my PC for a few years yet. I don't think anyone is sure when the next gen is coming out and what that will do for 10** series card prices, or how much of an upgrade the new cards will be, you could be waiting forever!

You might be able to sell your current card to sweeten the deal but today's prices are still just stupid and it's hard to say how things will go, but now does seem to be cheaper than of late.

Associate
I've got everything sat here for my first build except a GPU and the 1070ti is the card I'm looking at. If I had the £440 now I would have already bought the Gigabyte.
Two weeks and I'll be buying whatever I can for around that price.

Associate
I'm in sort of the same predicament, only I've been having black screen crashes with my (Sapphire) R9 390 for several months.
It seems it has finally died on me today, so either I get a new GPU now, or wait several months for the 11 series - and in the meantime make do with integrated graphics. :(

I'm not sure how long I can hold out. I have the cash ready, but the current prices don't represent good value for 2 year old tech.

Associate
I can’t decide between this 1070Ti or the MSI 1080 which is currently on discount for £60 more.
What do you reckon for 1440p UW?

Is the MSI a decent overclocker?
Think I’d prefer a Gigabyte card, but the extra power for a little more is hard to turn down.

Associate
I can’t decide between this 1070Ti or the MSI 1080 which is currently on discount for £60 more.
What do you reckon for 1440p UW?

Is the MSI a decent overclocker?
Think I’d prefer a Gigabyte card, but the extra power for a little more is hard to turn down.

I was in the same boat about three weeks ago, except the 1070tis were the same price as a discounted Palit 1080 (factory overclocked), obviously I went with the 1080. At the out of box clock speeds, 1440p games are no problem at highest settings on any games I play (COD:WWII, battlefield series, civ 6, F1 2017, COH2). If you can get a 1070ti for less than £450, thats when it makes sense, but I got a 1080 for £500

Back
Top Bottom