• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Should I cancel my Ryzen1700 order?

Associate
Hello,

I have ordered a ryzen 1700 am4 motherboard and some DDR4 memory to replace my i5 Haswell system. I do some 3D rendering for my work at home sometimes and the i5 is pretty slow at rendering. I also play games so I thought the Ryzen was a good fit only to realise that coffee lake is coming out if not slowly. Have I made a big mistake? All in with 32gb ram the parts cost me around £750.

Phil

Soldato
It depends on what software you use for rendering though!! If the package is capable of using more threads effectively the Ryzen 7 1700 will be probably be the best value for money CPU between £200 to £500 for such purposes.

Edit!!

You also need to consider the socket upgrade path. It has been confirmed Raven Ridge and Pinnacle Ridge will work with the current motherboards. There is also a much better chance(not a certainty),that the 2019 AMD chips might work too,whereas the current Z370 chipset looks to be more of a stopgap until the definitive Z390 is released next year.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I do play games regularly but I have never been obsessed with graphics settings or fps count, as long as it's smooth and looks good enough I'm happy.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Ryzen will play games fine, it's not like they make games unplayable - although the way people go on around here you'd think that all games won't be playable on a ryzen cpu!

Soldato
I am a serial upgrader, but since having the R7 1700 have felt no need to upgrade. That should say something good about it?

Games run extremely well, smooth as butter.

In the future looking forward to Zen 2 and and easy upgrade path too. Can't go wrong with AM4 imho.

Associate
OP
Thanks, you have put my mind at ease. Ryzen it is then. One other thing, I am most likely going to overclock the cpu. I have a noctua cpu cooler (NH-U12S) on my current i5, I was thinking of ordering the am4 bracket and transferring it over. Would the noctua be better than the stock, I have heard it's quite good.

Soldato
The 1700 will be more than adequate for your requirements.

The Noctua would be worth putting on when you want to OC but if your not at the start than the Wraith cooler is more than enough.

Ste

Ste

Soldato
If you are gaming in GPU bound situations there will be no difference between the two.

Too many people looking at 1080p results

Permabanned
I am a serial upgrader, but since having the R7 1700 have felt no need to upgrade. That should say something good about it?

Games run extremely well, smooth as butter.

In the future looking forward to Zen 2 and and easy upgrade path too. Can't go wrong with AM4 imho.

Same here more or less im getting Zen + tho since my 1700x is **** clocker as 2x1700 ware that iw sent back :p

Soldato
My 1080ti is usually still a bottleneck at 3440x1440

yeah, even mine at 2100 core overclock is bottleneck at 2560x1440 on new games.
While some older ones like WOT, hits the 120fps cap even with the Ryzen at 3600 core clock, with maxed out settings.
(run it last night after installing the 1800X and fresh windows installation).

And that's a single thread game.

Back
Top Bottom