Should i consider an alternative to the Canon S95?

Associate
I started with a small budget; after doing a bit of research and digging, i've widened the budget to £250 and the S95 is in my sights.

I'm not a pro photographer; just want to take some decent looking holiday snaps and i like the idea of playing around with the manual controls (it might even spur me on to get an SLR in the future).

Is there anything else i'd be silly not to consider at this price range?

Soldato
Is there anything else i'd be silly not to consider at this price range?

A used DSLR? Or normal SLR if that so tickles your fancy... ;)

£250 could get you something like a Nikon D40/D40x/D60 which are quite simple and easy to use as DSLRs go, plus maybe a kit lens or a 50mm if you can find it. Would probably be cheaper if you could find someone selling them together.

Associate
OP
I am tempted by an SLR but put off by the size.

I'm really after the best compact digi camera i can get for my budget.

i've just had a look at the Panosonic Lumix LX5 which is £50 more expensive than the Canon and seems to outperform it in some areas, however its also slightly bigger.

Soldato
I've just ordered an LX5 for work - very much looking forward to it arriving! I found it difficult to source though, and the place I did eventually find it told me it was being discontinued. Out of all the cameras I researched at that pricepoint it did come out on top (for me)

Associate
OP
Thanks guys - i think DSLR's are off the radar as they are too big for my requirements just now.

It's out of the S95, XZ-1 and LX-5 :confused:

Associate
olympus xz1 (f1.8)
canon s95 (f2)
lumix lx5 (f2)
EX1 / tl500(f1.8)

Wide apertures so you can get the best DOF and low light pics you can with a compact camera sensor. The lumix lx5 and tl500 go to 24mm which gives them the widest lens of the bunch, which is nice.

Another thing people rarely mention is the aperture throughout the zoom range. The LX5 is the great for this, at full zoom the lx5 is f3.3 far better than the s95 f4.9, thats a huge amount more light the LX5 gets in at full zoom. It also means the lx5 will give a shallower DOF throughout the zoom range.

The new olympus XZ1 trumps even the LX5 though.

42D197148C244575845FA539CB17B79E.jpg

The Lx5 is slightly larger than the s95 though, but it has manual video control which the canon does not. between them is arguable.

My personal fave is the LX5, manual video, wide angle lens, wider apertures though the zoom (not as wide as the xz1 though), and its older so its a bit cheaper than the XZ1.

The XZ1 is great and you can attach the excellent Electronic viewfinder to it, which is also compatible with the olympus pen models.

I hope that helps! :)

Caporegime
olympus xz1 (f1.8)
canon s95 (f2)
lumix lx5 (f2)
EX1 / tl500(f1.8)

Wide apertures so you can get the best DOF and low light pics you can with a compact camera sensor. The lumix lx5 and tl500 go to 24mm which gives them the widest lens of the bunch, which is nice.

Another thing people rarely mention is the aperture throughout the zoom range. The LX5 is the great for this, at full zoom the lx5 is f3.3 far better than the s95 f4.9, thats a huge amount more light the LX5 gets in at full zoom. It also means the lx5 will give a shallower DOF throughout the zoom range.

The Lx5 is slightly larger than the s95 though, but it has manual video control which the canon does not. between them is arguable.

My personal fave is the LX5, manual video, wide angle lens, wider apertures though the zoom (not as wide as the xz1 though), and its older so its a bit cheaper than the XZ1.

The XZ1 is great and you can attach the excellent Electronic viewfinder to it, which is also compatible with the olympus pen models.

Great post, the only other thing of importance between these cameras is really the sensor. Here is where it gets difficult because the S95 has the best sensor for noise, the LX5 is in the middle and XZ-1 is the worst, i.e. the oposite order of the lenses aperture.

I reckon the LX5 i probably the best midle ground of all features and is on my list of possible small cameras.

Associate
OP
I'm taking a walk into town tomorrow to see how the S95 and LX5 feel in my hands :)

Hopefully London camera exchange have got them both in!

Soldato
olympus xz1 (f1.8)
canon s95 (f2)
lumix lx5 (f2)
EX1 / tl500(f1.8)

Brilliant post! Something i hadn't considered with the smaller cameras. The LX5 is looking like a cracking deal.

Associate
OP
Well i went for a look at a few today; saw both the LX-5 and the Olympus XZ-1.

Both very nice cameras - the LX-5 was slightly smaller in the height/width, but was marginally deeper then the XZ-1 and the lens protrudes quite a bit more than the Olympus (which is a slight put-off)

The LX-5 felt more sturdy/well built though and i wasn't overly keen on the design of the Olympus (shiny plastic feel, top dial right on the edge of the camera) so i'm leaning towards the LX-5.

Having said that, they didn't have the S95 in stock which i really wanted to see:mad: I need to get my hands on one just to see the size difference in the flesh; then i'll definately be able to make a decision!

Thanks for all the input; the search continues.

Back
Top Bottom