Should I stay or should I go?

Soldato
I work as a 2nd line support / Field IT engineer for a managed service provider (provide support for a multitude of companies) and have been at the same company for about 10 years.

An ex-coworker/friend recently joined a new company (public). It has its own internal IT, this friend has approached me and asked me to join him. Has has pretty much guaranteed me a job.

Now, my dilemma is that up until this morning the job offer from my friend was better in every way; pay was slightly more, 2 weeks extra holiday, 20 minutes off my travel time and 37 hours per week as opposed to 40.

What has changed this morning is my directors have sat with me and offered me more money but not on the basis that they knew I was looking to move on. They said that they are aware that I and another colleague hold their business together and outlined plans for bonuses, more feedback from me and the other colleague on the business, paid training and even look at ways in which they could allow us to work from home occasionally and start/finish earlier.

This is a huge change in direction from the company I am with and I am not sure what to make of it.

My thoughts are to go to the interview of this new potential role and request the same financial benefits I have now and see how it plays out.

My only gripe is that I will be exposed to a lot less IT in the new role as now I get to experience so much more.

Long term, I am looking to get into IT security and likely, move on. The current company I am with has a better chance of transitioning to fit my needs rather than the new role.

I am not sure what to do.

Permabanned
An ex-coworker/friend recently joined a new company (public). It has its own internal IT, this friend has approached me and asked me to join him. Has has pretty much guaranteed me a job.

Last time I did this company went bust after 3 months. Don't get it into your head that the grass is always greener on the other side. Dig more into the company seeing if it's on the increase with profits e.t.c how many staff and what not. Don't just take your mates word for it.

Soldato
Go for the new job.

Your current employer has realised that your leaving would drop them right in the smelly and are promising you jam tomorrow to make you stay.

If your current employer hasn’t rewarded you well or offered you these improvements in the past, you need to consider why they’re doing it now.

Soldato
OP
Last time I did this company went bust after 3 months. Don't get it into your head that the grass is always greener on the other side. Don't just take your mates word for it.
The role is at London City Hall so a government organisation, I understand what you are saying and had it been a Ltd. Company I would have been far more weary.

Go for the new job. Your current employer hasn’t rewarded you well or offered you these improvements in the past, you need to consider why they’re doing it now.
Hmmmm, good point.

I have to still see if the new role will pay what I've been put into at my current job. If not, it doesn't make sense to move for a pay cut.

I'll go for the interview and see what happens, could do with some practice.

Permabanned
The role is at London City Hall so a government organisation, I understand what you are saying and had it been a Ltd. Company I would have been far more weary.

In that case would it be worth the shift. I would be weary about your friend just joining this company and might not know much about it. If you are been offered more on the table with better and greater responsibility / pay e.t.c then why move?

Associate
Unless the pay rise was enormous go for the new job. Its public sector which means you can chill out and learn security (on the tax payer) at work. The two weeks holiday and 20 minute commute are tangible benefits which sound like a big improvement (without knowing your salary situation).

Try and cash in any "idea of loyalty to current employer" OR an good intentions for the future and see how much its is worth :) Don't buy into this to the fluffy stuff too much - if you got the pay rise now its because they've been under paying you (based on your value) and they might be worried!

You got to live for the now when you're at work as life is too short. You are making a simple time for cash transaction, so get the best deal!

Soldato
If the new job is as you say public sector then I would imagine they have pay bands that they have to adhere to so may not be able to offer you much more (most of the time you would start at the bottom of a pay and and work your way up through the years)

It’s already been pointed out that they know you’ve been underpaid and likely to ‘jump’ so are trying to preempt this with an offer, if you’re that critical then why haven’t they offered anything before but please bear in mind that your current line manager will have been tasked to fill your friends and your roles for the least amount of outlay as possible.

I would go to the interview and ask some pretty serious questions and dig deep to make absolutely sure you’re happy but the 2 weeks extra holiday (at £500 a week that’s £1k pay rise in my eyes) and also they’ve probably got a civil service final salary pension still which is like gold dust come retirement time (who knows if it’ll still be in place in the future but it’s possibly better than you currently have).

I would also look at the shorter commute and working day as well and you may find that those outweigh the pay rise offered by your current company.

Back
Top Bottom