Should I swap KL600M for CXM650M?

Associate
Morning all,

I recently purchased the below system build from OcUK and it should be arriving today but I am slightly concerned about the PSU.
Upon calling OcUK for an update on Monday (11th business day since ordering the system) I was informed it failed the stress test due to a faulty PSU. Now after seeing what PSU they provided, assuming this is the same model as the one that failed, I am not feeling overly confident about it.

I have a Corsair CXM650M I bought 1 year ago that I've been using in my current system and was wondering if you all recommend swapping out the Kolink KL600M for it.
It's an unwanted hassle to have to redo the cable management of brand new build, as I don't trust using other brands power cables on other brands PSU but could be better for the machine itself.

I tried to research the Kolink KL series online but there are no reviews about other than OCuK staff + Kolink staff pushing it on these forums and people moaning about them on TomsHardware etc and the odd Amazon review. The fact it failed in testing does not fill me with confidence.

Kolink KL-600M 600W 80 Plus Bronze Modular Power Supply
Phanteks Eclipse P350X Glass Digital RGB Midi Tower Case
**Build Promo**Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6GHz
System Build Fan - Noiseblocker BlackSilent Pro Fan PLPS - 120mm PWM x2
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Gaming OC 8192MB GDDR6 PCI-Express Graphics Card 1
Gigabyte 256GB M.2 PCIe x2 NVMe SSD/Solid State Drive 1
Samsung 500GB 860 EVO SSD 2.5" SATA 6Gbps 64 Layer 3D V-NAND Solid State Drive (MZ-76E500B/EU) 1
Asetek Premium Retention Kit Intel LGA115X
Gigabyte Z390 UD Intel Z390 (Socket 1151) DDR4 ATX Motherboard 1
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C16 3000MHz Dual Channel Kit

Associate
OP
After a bit more research I can see the max load on the +12V rail for the Kolink KL600M is 480W whereas the CX650M is 648W.
Bit of a difference that the Corsair can deliver near max load on the 12V rail as opposed to the Kolink that delivers 120W less than its max load.

I think I will swap it out after all even though it is extra work to recable all the work just done to it.

Opinions still welcome.

Soldato
Never mix modular cables of different PSUs!
Even inside same brand/maker there's no guarantee that they use same pinout.
And if that isn't correct, in best scenario PC wouldn't start.
In worst case most of PC's parts could get fried.

And that Kolink isn't 600W PSU like lied by model name.
They don't themselves trust it to do more than 500W continuously.
Then it isn't even that by any modern standards with only 450W on 12V
Meaning it's marketing BS(U) I would have troubles accepting even into some web surfing/word processing PC.

I mean would you trust anything in car which is advertised with claim of reaching 300km/h speed...
If it's dropped to ground from rear door of the cargo plane at 5km altitude.
That would be same honesty level car add.

And while clear step up, neither is that Corsair high performance or quality PSU, but really just standard level PSU.
(despite of brand marketing)

To be even remotely on same planet to that overpriced Intel and what Nvidia charges for that graphics card, Antec Earthwatts would be like minimum.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ante...plus-gold-modular-power-supply-ca-24n-an.html
And Antec HCG Gold/Seasonic Focus Plus being proper level.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/antec-hcg-gold-650w-80-plus-gold-modular-power-supply-ca-24w-an.html
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/seas...plus-gold-modular-power-supply-ca-05q-ss.html

Even step to notch higher efficiency, or more heavily over engineered 12 year warranty PSU wouldn't be much.
Considering good PSU is still fully usable, when successor for that mainstream level in few months Intel would be becoming technically old.
And the fact that you paid £20 or 37% more than necessary in SSD just for fashionable Samsung brand.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/seas...-platinum-modular-power-supply-ca-05u-ss.html
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/seas...plus-gold-modular-power-supply-ca-068-ss.html

Very expensive CPU and graphics card should simply be accompanied by similar level in PSU quality.
Though that Corsair would be good for 3-4 years.

Associate
OP
I'll probably invest in a new PSU later in the year, this is mainly just to get me up and running.
As I said earlier, the fact the OCuK guy said the PSU failed in testing does not fill me with confidence and after reading reviews of people having Kolinks dying after short amounts of time.

Rather use my CXM650M for 6 months - 1 year then upgrade it to a gold standard PSU.

Man of Honour
Kolink PSU's are rubbish, end of!! Seriously, avoid them altogether. The internals are from the cheapest bargain parts bin they can find, the 12v rails are pathetically weak and the warranties are very short. OCUK are pushing them because their parent company is backing Kolink. The marketing is misleading and bordering on outright lies. If that is a pre-built system then OCUK should be ashamed for putting such a terrible psu into a pc with such expensive components in it.

Man of Honour
I presume it cost considerably more than that with the gpu upgrade and extra SSD? That is just shocking that they put such a cheap and nasty sub standard psu in a pre-built that must be coming on for £2000 with your changes. There's pushing a product because your parent company is behind it and then there is just pure and simple skimping to maximise profit. Utterly disgraceful. We in the forums are always trying to get the message across that the psu shouldn't be skimped on and is not the place to save money and they go and use that in a expensive build. I would have expected a quality Gold rated Seasonic, Antec or at the very least a Gold rated Bitfenix Formula series in a build such as that.

Associate
Myself i'd tell em to swap psu also or deals off!
most half decent psu's will go upto and often past rated power yet that Dog pile can't get anywhere near it's stamped on the side amount!
Just hope have decent house insurance if it decides to fail as read somewhere that one had caught fire on my net travels while back.
"Bronze" rated thought they went out with Noah?

Associate
OP
I presume it cost considerably more than that with the gpu upgrade and extra SSD? That is just shocking that they put such a cheap and nasty sub standard psu in a pre-built that must be coming on for £2000 with your changes. There's pushing a product because your parent company is behind it and then there is just pure and simple skimping to maximise profit. Utterly disgraceful. We in the forums are always trying to get the message across that the psu shouldn't be skimped on and is not the place to save money and they go and use that in a expensive build. I would have expected a quality Gold rated Seasonic, Antec or at the very least a Gold rated Bitfenix Formula series in a build such as that.

It cost ~£1700 inc postage.

FYI first thing I did after unboxing yesterday was swap the PSU out.
The cabling isn't as tidy as they did it due to my Corsair cables being different but I feel more confident in the stability.
I also changed out the standard case fan for an Akasa Viper and kept the 2 static pressure fans on the radiator. The stock case fan is quiet enough but I'd rather have more CFM on the exhaust if needed. I could always sway it back if it bugs me.

I'll invest in a gold rated PSU in a few months.

Associate

The crazy thing is it's likely to go pop in the first year so the savings they made will inevitably be lost in the warranty claim, especially if it takes other components with it. Common sense says use a decent psu in ready builts, saves the retailer a headache down the line and the consumer is happy because his new pc doesn't go up in a puff of smoke.

Back
Top Bottom