• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Should i swap my GTX1080 for a Vega 64?

Associate
Hmmm so should i wait?

Absolutely I would wait! Worst case you will see a price reduction on Vega 64 cards! The new 7nm cards are likely to target 1080 performance and address some of the high power draw associated with the original Vega cards, though as been said this can easily be solved by undervolting the Vega cards and is a lot easier than people think! There are some great YouTube videos on it at the moment!

I have my GTX1080ti ready to list on eBay!

Permabanned
JUst got a new 144hz freesync panel and second hand prices between 1080 and 64 are similar,

Is it worth to swap to take advantage of Freesync?

Yes but be careful which Vega card you get as some are better than others. Aim for one of these going from top to bottom:

Reference Liquid cooled,
Sapphire Nitro plus,
Powercolor Red Devil.

Personally I'd avoid these:

Asus Strix,
Gigabyte,
Reference blowers.

That said the Strix is the best of the bottom list & apparently it's as good as the air models on the top list if you pull it apart & put thicker pads on the VRM's.

Permabanned
yeah i think im going to do it, i do not want to spend more than £50 to change though

I would but you're going to have to add postage
yeah id want that, but arent 1080's going for around £330 on the members market here? im looking to swap with as little outlay as possible.

Sell the 3 games maybe? That'll get you a good £60 or so back. Or if you'd likely buy any of the games for yourself wipe that off the cost of the Nitro plus which is not only a good deal but also the best Vega currently on the market.

Soldato
OP
Ah I wish I knew before that the Strix wasn't that good... That's totally my fault.

I got a second hand one on eBay for £300, I should get more than £300 for my 1080 so should work out I actually manage to pocket a few £

Also didn't think about that sapphire had some free games, there not game I would play, but yeah probably could have got £50 by selling them, which would have meant the Sapphire would have only been £360 brand new and with warranty, damn never mind !

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom