Should I upgrade now?

Associate
Serious question ladies and gents.

I have been thinking at this for about a week now.
I have the specs that you can see in my signature. I am mostly browsing and gaming at 1080p/60Hz at the moment but was thinking maybe, but just maybe 1440p in the future with a freesync display.
I would like to upgrade my mobo, cpu and ram and add a scythe fuma 2 to that.
Would have loved to go with a new 6 core Ryzen but availability is bad, so I glanced at the 10600k, MSI Z490 Tomahawk and 16GB Patriot Viper Steel.
Cant believe I am thinking Intel but.....it's cheaper now.
I would like this upgrade to last some 5 years at least.
What do you think? Would 6 cores be enough for the foreseeable future? Is this 10600k a good option?
I am not interested in 144Hz or 4k at all.

Thank you very much for your answers

Soldato
Not a great time to be upgrading unless you really need to.

Wait for supply and prices to settle down and then buy what you want rather than just what you can get your hands on at the moment.

Soldato
I would like this upgrade to last some 5 years at least.
What do you think? Would 6 cores be enough for the foreseeable future? Is this 10600k a good option?

I am not interested in 144Hz or 4k at all.
Then you need at least need upgradability at least to 8 cores.
6 cores is now that basic/starting level.
Just for scale new consoles have 7 cores dedicated exclusively for use of the games!
So once number of those consoles in homes picks up, game developers will be doing lot better multithreaded games/invent new ways/things to do with more cores.

But like said right now availability/prices of many things suck and wait of month or two would probably improve that lot.
Besides bringing new graphics card releases to below high end.
Though graphics card certainly won't stay good that long and you better plan upgrade after few yars.

Also unless you're playing only slow paced games, then you should be interested about modern frame rates over ancient 60Hz.
(which was bad monitor refresh rate even in CRT era)

Associate
OP
Also unless you're playing only slow paced games, then you should be interested about modern frame rates over ancient 60Hz.
(which was bad monitor refresh rate even in CRT era)
You will laugh, but, at the moment I am playing ACU, then it will be Dishonored, both of them, after that Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Metro Exodus, Red Dead Redemption 2, Cyberpunk 2077.
I will very much prefer steady 60fps and high quality rather than high fps and stutter. My Vega 64 is not cutting edge GPU also :). Maybe I think like this because I didn't try high refresh rates yet. Not a first person shooter fan myself.

Soldato
You will laugh, but, at the moment I am playing ACU, then it will be Dishonored, both of them, after that Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Metro Exodus, Red Dead Redemption 2, Cyberpunk 2077.
I will very much prefer steady 60fps and high quality rather than high fps and stutter. My Vega 64 is not cutting edge GPU also :). Maybe I think like this because I didn't try high refresh rates yet. Not a first person shooter fan myself.
With some game settings tweaking Vega 64 should be capable to more than 60Hz in most games.

I'm myself still using 60Hz monitor only because of not having had anything to upgrade from (soon 7 years old) 2560x1600 Dell U3014.
(2560x1440 is downgrade)

Associate
OP
I was looking on YouTube and it seems that this processor is doing fairly well at 1080p 60hz, it seems that the graphics card can be more of a bottleneck than the cpu .....

Associate
OP
Aaand for anyone who may stumble over this thread and has the same question, while running the built in benchmark from SOTTR I can't even select ultra, methinks it's because of 8GB memory and on high the GPU stays close to 80% but the cpu struggles when benchmark comes down to the market part.

Associate
The extra 2 cores from 6 to 8 basically make no difference right now. If you're not gasping for extra frames I'd wait til end of Jan at the very earliest to start upgrading as stock is very hard to come by especially for GPUs. You could always get a 6 core then upgrade in future on the same chipset if we start seeing worthwhile gains but right now paying £130 for 2 cores just isn't worth it

Back
Top Bottom