1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should NHS doctors and nurses be paid more?

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by ver01@, Mar 7, 2019.

1. danlightbulb

Wise Guy

I havent researched this so my guess is that GPs earn somewhere around the £70-£100k mark. I will now go and google it and see how far off I am.

Regarding the technology issue and also the access and effectiveness issue which has also been mentioned.

I can only relate to my own experiences but to get an appointment at my gp i have to phone up on the day, as early as poss after 8am. Anything that isnt urgent isnt prioritised and you have to then phone up again the next day. This means that anything that isnt urgent is never seen because the urgent stuff takes precident every day. The referal systems take months, and the hospital consultants for non urgent issues are also useless even when you have been refered.

Perhaps the system works ok for urgent and serious conditions like cancer, i dont know, but for non critical conditions its crap and there is no alternative available.

Technology - why cant i access my complete medical records online in this day and age? i had knee mri's a few years ago and despite trying i never could get hold of the scan images. Also online appointment systems, why not implemented? Why cant i book an appointment for a non critical issue a couple weeks in advance online, like i can with an eye test. it just cant be done.

2. danlightbulb

Wise Guy

https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/explore-roles/doctors/pay-doctors

£57-£87k for salaried gps on basic 40 hour weeks + 37% uplift for nights. I wasnt far off in my guess. That is a very good salary and I believe about right for the role. Based on my experience with gps i have pretty much diagnosed myself before even attending. The only need for gps is to sign off the drugs i need for whatever condition i have, or to refer me on for the tests i ask for.

Alot more efficient if people could just self refer for non critical conditions.

3. Dolph

Man of Honour

I can do the booking online with my GP, but there is no consistency within much of the NHS. The organisation has managed to pick the worst aspects of both centralised and decentralised structures, with none of the benefits of either.

4. Minstadave

Capodecina

Good god no. That would be a disaster.

5. tamzzy

Capodecina

Think you are confusing yourself here. The night uplifts only apply to doctors in training. Not GPs. So yes, if 20k is not far off the mark, then you are right.

6. Teh_Next

Perma Banned

:D

Total disaster.
    The amount of patient I administer Rx to that are convinced it's this or that is, well, a regular occurrence. I dare say you encounter it frequently to.

7. tamzzy

Capodecina

Whilst I fully appreciate this point...how is it the fault of the medical profession? Just curious.
    Is this not a symptom of chronic understaffing (or underfunding), meaning that everyday exists solely to firefight?

8. Dolph

Man of Honour

If funding was the cause of poor outcomes, we would have seen a trend change during the about years where spending was massively increased.

We didn't. This isn't a hypothetical, we actually tried it and it didnt make a difference...

9. tamzzy

Capodecina

hence the brackets. the funding never made it to the places that would've made the difference.
    as it is, the uk has one of the least, per capita; beds, nurses, doctors, ct scanners, mri scanners etc...

10. Minstadave

Capodecina

A lot of that money went into sorting massive waiting times for elective issues, which I believe was largely achieved didn’t it?

Outcomes didn’t change a great deal, but the backlog was tackled and that lead to the 18 week target being achievable, whereas before it was a laughable thought.

Currently there’s no point throwing money at Doctors because the current tax system stops anyone taking on extra work looking at the current BMA models for pension taxation. People are trying to cut their workloads.

11. Dolph

Man of Honour

I dont object to the idea that we need to spend more on healthcare, we absolutely do. However, without reform, it won't result in better patient outcomes. That's the key point.

12. Dolph

Man of Honour

I guess it depends what you feel the purpose of the NHS is. Is it actual healthcare outcomes or patient perceptions that matter more?

13. tamzzy

Capodecina

clearly, both do. i just need to look a few posts prior:

14. ubersonic

Capodecina

This is quite true, one of the good things the coalition government did (yest they did some good things) was cut MP pay and freeze it. That was ofc until the independant body overulled that as it deemed they were being underpaid (compared to other countries) and raised the pay. Comically when Labour set the body up they never envisioned a situation arising where the body would want to raise pay against MPs will so didn't limit its power in that regard.

15. Buddy

Wise Guy

The new GP contract came out just few months ago. Being implemented this year.

General response is good. Hopefully, help with GP workload. The crown indemnity is very welcome and puts GPs in parity to their colleagues in hospital. Personally saves me 7k a year (!). The QoF targets are more sensible.

Each year they are partially funding alternative healthcare professionals e.g. pharmacists, paramedics to help reduce work load.

Freshly grad GPs still leaving in droves. They really need to work on that....

Last edited: May 14, 2019