1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should the London marathon be banned to the public?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by easyrider, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Zatoichi.uK

Wise Guy

I must admit I was quite surprised to see how many people running that looked out of shape. I'd imagine the pressure of representing a charity of some kind would perhaps push people harder than they're actually capable of doing. Admirable but a little foolish if they haven't prepared for it properly.

2. foster grant

Mobster

More power ?

3. TwsT

OcUK Staff

we should all stay in bed.

4. foster grant

Mobster

My 20 year old does that already...does he know something we don't ...hmmm

5. Rossi~

Capodecina

6. swain90

Hitman

I second this

7. 'Harry

PermaBanned

I speak for the non PC brigade when I say NONONONONONO!

8. T C

Gangster

They come over here taking our jobs! What did my grandpops actually fight in WW2 for? It's disgusting!

9. easyrider

Caporegime

No,

I was asking the question...should the London marathon be banned to the public?

I don't think it should...if someone wants to run 26 miles and then die that's up to them I couldn't care less...

But what's amazing is the BBC TV news ignore the deaths and pipe up about a few horses being shot in a race they have been trained to run for...

You can't make a horse 8ft tall jump fences if it doesn't want to.

But I do think that running with a giraffe on your head for charity is nothing but attention seeking....one can run the race fine but not at the increased risk of harm or injury....

No one would skydive without a parachute...no one should be allowed to attention seek running 26 miles with a horses head on...

By all means run the race...raise money for charity but do it quietly....

The problem is that these days everyone needs to be seen to give....

Just like the selfie campaign for cancer....narcissism disguised as charity giving.

Look at me for for all the good I'm doing....shut up and just get on with it.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  10. Ceryndrion

Mobster

I could say the same of most sport, especially football, after all, its mostly;

"he's got the ball..."
    "now, he's got the ball and passes it to him"
    "he's going to shoot, oh no he's not, he passes it to so and so"..
    "he's kicked the ball.."

it's a world cup this year, and there will be many hours of boring football, mostly of teams that nobody gives two hoots about, but still we will be subjected to it..

The marathon is ONE sunday morning, once per year.. and a lot of people enjoy watching it..

11. Deep

Soldato

I used to agree with this, but it actually raised a lot of money for cancer research!

12. cheechm

Wise Guy

What an absolutely ridiculous post! I can almost guarantee 2 things: the man who passed away probably had an underlying condition & he probably wasn't in fancy dress. Not that it makes a difference anyway. Through proper training, consistent hydration and making efforts to cool oneself it is perfectly safe to run it with a costume on.

Anyway, you've obviously never had the consideration to raise money for a cause that you feel compassionately about. There were a large amount of runners I ran with that had "doing this for you mum" or pictures of their children that had passed away on their running tops. This isn't at all about them "attention seeking". This is about raising money for charities that can one day maybe prevent an illness or disease that killed a loved one.

I think you should reconsider why people run a marathon.

13. scorza

Caporegime

Yeah I agree that football can be boring, and there probably should be less of it on the telly. Cricket on the other hand, people just can't get enough of.

14. Dis86

Capodecina

Perhaps you should have given your opinion in the first post?

For the record my view somewhat coincides with yours!

15. easyrider

Caporegime

They might find it easier without the horses head...

I have done plenty for charity thanks.I just don't need validation for my actions.

16. MeEsH BaKkA

Mobster

Should the IOM TT get banned which is arguably the most dangerous sporting event on the planet?

People should be free to make silly choices IMO. Especially if they are only putting them selves at risk.

17. Macky

Soldato

Ban anything which could be linked to death. It's the only way to be safe.

18. kayomani

Wise Guy

Should make everyone do it once a year, would fix a few things.

19. MrMoonX

PermaBanned

Quick moral panic in a risk adverse society, OP fail!

If more people got off their backsides, probably the closest the OP has to sport is watching it on TV, then it would solve obesity. The horse racing comparison is retarded, that's cruelty, horses are whipped and forced to do the racing, runners aren't forced to do anything with a whip

I love the marathon, having run many of them before, it's not dangerous and the poor fella who died probably had an underlying condition or used something dodgy like the girl in 2012

20. easyrider

Caporegime

So you know nothing about me and nothing about horse racing...

Quality post right there.

"Horses are forced to do the racing" PMSL:D