Should we abolish student fees?

Caporegime
I thought that big companies were looking outwith Computer science because they were all too "similar" in their problem solving?

But as much as i'd like STEM subjects to be free, the louder (politics/social) students will be aggrieved.

Man of Honour
Yes or at the very least written off if you pass from a subject we need.
UK wages needs a high tech or service industry, with such wages and other costs we can not compete with low skilled mass production jobs and it makes no sense to try.

Soldato
I think students should pay their way.

I struggle with paying for someone else to go to uni so they can earn more money than me in the future.

I know thats small minded and there are many arguments. But If someone wants to become a lawyer (for instance) they should pay for it themselves...

On the other hand I don't think nurses, Police and firemen should pay tax (on direct earnings)

Associate

I struggle with paying for someone else to go to uni so they can earn more money than me in the future.

I know thats small minded and there are many arguments. But If someone wants to become a lawyer (for instance) they should pay for it themselves...

On the other hand I don't think nurses, Police and firemen should pay tax (on direct earnings)
They'll pay higher taxes on that money and attract investment which helps us all.

Man of Honour

Yes that's incredibly small minded. Not only does it affect you in anegative way(economy) it also makes no sense, the vast majority of these insanely high loans will not be paid off, whilst companies make lots of money on them. Its an utter mess and a shamefully mess at that, which damages our economy.

Soldato
Yes that's incredibly small minded. Not only does it affect you in anegative way(economy) it also makes no sense, the vast majority of these insanely high loans will not be paid off, whilst companies make lots of money on them. Its an utter mess and a shamefully mess at that, which damages our economy.

So the vast majority don't get paid.. You have to ask why not..If its because the students never earn enough then surely the time at uni was wasted and potentially cost us much more.

If its free I imagine a free sweet shop scenario

Soldato
I think It should be free..... But much harder to get in?

Have we not reached a point where trying to say everyone can do everything isn't working, maybe just be more like "Sorry, you aren't good enough for further education" Or even better, "Sorry, we don't need anymore students of this subject area".

A really simplistic view I know.

Caporegime
So the vast majority don't get paid.. You have to ask why not..If its because the students never earn enough then surely the time at uni was wasted and potentially cost us much more.

If we ignore for a moment the silly social students, maybe if we had a better workplace available for people they'd earn their money in more than enough time. Instead we live in an anti-meritocracy where only the most obnoxious get bigger salaries.

Man of Honour

Still nonsense, to pay back that much in the allotted time frame, you need a very good paying job. There are plenty of jobs that require such degrees and do not pay insane salaries. Look at example nurses were we have a huge shortage which is getting worse by the day due to brexit and there average pay.

And why would it be any more of a sweet shop, not only did we have it free in the pass, we need high education workforce more than ever.

Associate

Don't graduates offer services which you will likely access free at the point of access at some point? All Doctors, nurses, paramedics, teachers, physios, occupational therapists, judges, even lawyers and many many more are graduates and provide critical services it is in the public interest to maintain. Why deny our society the services of an intelligent and capable person simply because they benefit too? Make tertiary education too expensive and it becomes the preserve of those who can afford it, not those most capable.

That said, I do believe that as a society we've gone a bit qualification mad, and there are unnecessary degree courses on offer, and some jobs which require further education of some kind which people did quite competently before it became a requirement to have an SVQ or whatever, like carers for example.

Soldato

Have we not reached a point where trying to say everyone can do everything isn't working, maybe just be more like "Sorry, you aren't good enough for further education" Or even better, "Sorry, we don't need anymore students of this subject area".

I had written, If its free it needs to be harder to get in.. But deleted it 3 times..

Soldato

Having just finished university, I share your views. I think university should be for the academic elite and nobody else. We should encourage the brightest minds to go to university to study important degrees and this should be free for them.

Caporegime
I think sub £3k is reasonable or even 1k per couse, but 9k is ridiculous.

For what its worth I went to Scottish uni and got them free :D

https://www.topuniversities.com/student-info/student-finance/how-much-does-it-cost-study-uk said:
International undergraduate tuition fees vary considerably, starting at around £10,000 (~US$12,300) and going up to £35,000 (~US$43,100) or more for medical degrees. At all levels, humanities and social sciences degrees tend to cost the least, while laboratory and clinical degree programs are markedly more expensive.

English Students are cry babies.

Caporegime
Would love to see us investing in people rather than putting obstacles in the way.

We need a skilled workforce, dropping or cutting fees for STEM subjects seems very sensible.

Would be happy to contribute more tax for cutting fees for decent subjects.

Back
Top Bottom