should we have to pay to watch England?

Caporegime
To be fair, I doubt many people seriously can't afford £10 a month, it's 32p a day, given what you get I think £10 is a pretty good deal really.

£120 a year, to watch a few scabby england away games, on top of a sky or virgin subscription sure sounds like a lot to me.

to rationalise the cost vs tv lisence payers they should calculate how much of the population is watching (compared to say...songs of praise, or whatever, and for how much they can sell the highlights for?

Soldato
I watch loads on Setanta, there's loads of German football etc and Arsenal have just been on for about 4 weeks running. I don't pay, but me and my dad are getting value for money thus far.

Soldato
£120 a year, to watch a few scabby england away games, on top of a sky or virgin subscription sure sounds like a lot to me.

to rationalise the cost vs tv lisence payers they should calculate how much of the population is watching (compared to say...songs of praise, or whatever, and for how much they can sell the highlights for?

there you go then, if you're going to call then scabby england away games then you obviously dont value them enough therefore cannot really say anything.
Theres a few people saying "i wouldnt dare pay for setanta just to watch the england away games" - well you obviously didnt want to watch it much in the first place, norr can you be that into football since theres quite a lot of football on setanta. Besides its not like you need to pay £10pm, how often do england play away? seriously? International season isnt 12months, if you want to watch england play away cough up £20-£30 for setanta, go to a pub, go to a mates, go to the game or settle for the highlights.

In an ideal world the BBC would show what the majority wanted to watch, instead of things such as songs of praise etc, im sure the God Channel would be happy to have that instead, but this is not an ideal world, and that wouldnt be fair.

Soldato
Theres a few people saying "i wouldnt dare pay for setanta just to watch the england away games" - well you obviously didnt want to watch it much in the first place, norr can you be that into football since theres quite a lot of football on setanta.

There is quite a bit of footy on Setanta, but I don't care about the majority of it. I got Setanta for the England away games and Newcastle games, of which there is one in October and one in November. In order to watch those games, if I'd been paying full price, I would have had to pay £20 connection fee and then £13 a month. That's £46 for four games which is quite a bit on top of all the other TV gubbins I pay out for.[/QUOTE]

As soon as the England away games are over for a while, which i think is now, I'll be cancelling. I can listen to Newcastle on the radio for free.

Soldato
the games are either worth it to you or not.
Frankly I get sick of the quality of online streams from watching the 3pm kickoffs everyweek nearly so Im always happy when Setanta have something on, as I have it.
Id much rather see it on the TV than have to suffer the low quality of online streams.
Thats a fair point about the connection fee, I used to have it at uni on virgin when it was 3months for £1, there was no connection fee. Now have it at my mum&dads, virgin again, no connection fee. Is it just freeview with connection fees? I know my brother just had to buy the extra setanta thing and pay his connection fee for his the other week.

Back
Top Bottom