Should women's sports have separate websites on BBC Sport, Sky News, etc.?

Caporegime
Just wondering whether people think women's sports should be moved onto separate dedicated websites, rather than intermingled with men's sports articles?

This will allow all those people eager to find articles about women's sports to find them very easily, rather than having to sift through a load of male sports articles.

Man of Honour
Why separate them?

I feel like this would be counterproductive to promoting female sports and make them less visible.

Also where are you going for sports news that has enough articles on women’s sport to warrant a thread like this?

Soldato
+1
Need a separate forum subsection for Xmysoginist-rated threads.

Hopefully sponsors/media recognise that more diversification into female sport coverage would benefit their bottom line, and society, rather than fuelling the usual suspects of football, f1, ....
womens cycling and climbing would be my requests.

Caporegime
OP
Why separate them?

I feel like this would be counterproductive to promoting female sports and make them less visible.

Also where are you going for sports news that has enough articles on women’s sport to warrant a thread like this?
Wouldn't it be easier to promote women's sports, as they wouldn't be hidden within lots of articles on men's sports?

Regards where am I going for sports news, the places in the title. Not having enough articles on women's sports is exactly part of the point! These places don't have enough articles but where they do have them, they're very hard to pick out from men's sports.

Stick them all on a separate dedicated website or section and the problem is solved.

Soldato
I particularly enjoy how you spun this as being in the interest of those who want to read about sport played by women, as opposed to you not wanting to see women's sport. I'd like them to remove all of the football dross from general sports websites so that some decent page space can be given over to better sports.

Interested to know how far you'd take it. The women's Wimbledon reporting on a separate site to the men's? What about mixed doubles, would that need a separate cross-over site? How about the Olympics, maybe they should separate it and have a special Women's Olympics... :rolleyes:

Soldato
No, I like it mixed in. Like all the different sports are mixed in to the sports pages.

Much like those, it's good if you can have a header for women's sport (like for Cricket, or F1, or Tennis or whatever), but it should all pop up on the main page

Man of Honour
I'd prefer news and sports were separated but not gender. How other people have performed in sports is of no interest to me whether they have a tassle or a fu fu.

Permabanned
With the BBC Sport website in mind...
If they used it to highlight important stuff in women's sport as well as men's sport, that would be fine. E.g. if the England team wins, that's news worthy.
However, they are using it to promote feminism, just like the rest of their website, and I'm ****** sick of it. So in this scenario they can bury this news, and themselves, in a desert somewhere, without water.

Soldato
looking at the BBC sports page now , I agree that prominent reporting of the (hitherto unknown to me) 'shebelieves' cup, seems rather demeaning,
I don't think positive bias, virtue signalling like that (not down to BBC though) helps the equilibrium in sport cause, but maybe the population would beg to differ.

Caporegime
OP
I particularly enjoy how you spun this as being in the interest of those who want to read about sport played by women, as opposed to you not wanting to see women's sport.

How presumptuous of you. :D

I think it's good to have it mixed in but it does verge on clickbait when the BBC posts an article along the lines of "Man City break world transfer record" and you click on it to discover it's for their women's team.

Lol, this.

Caporegime
OP
God BBC Sport is getting worse for this. There are more articles about bleating feminists now than actual sport.

The second biggest sports story at the moment is apparently about the brain injury of a female hockey player.

The 3rd is the history of women's sports.

The editor is clearly vying for some kind of equality in sports journalism award.

Associate
Womens sports always has and always will be subsidised by Men's sport, moving it to seperate websites isn't gonna help matters. How long before its hate crime or whatever to refer to it as "Womens sports" though....:D

Soldato
BBC have gone over the top - seems like a drill music advertisement for the world cup .. do they/the team, really want to portray that image ? it's parodying #metoo
I suppose they did their research on the demographic for the audience
Ms Banks' World Cup Rap | Official Trailer | BBC Sport

BBC Sport is launching its #changethegame women's summer of sport season to celebrate female athletes.
There will be more live free-to-air women's sport than ever before across BBC TV, radio and digital platforms this summer, as well as a raft of specially commissioned content.
Barbara Slater, director of BBC Sport, says it is a "fantastic platform" for women's sport, with coverage backed up by an "unrivalled" line-up of leading talent - to be announced at the official launch on Wednesday evening.
"The BBC prides itself on being the home of big sporting events and has always led from the front in supporting women's sport across TV, radio and digital channels," she added.

to contrast that, itv4 just had an add for the womens uk cycling tour .. no special branding ... the way it should be.

Associate
Why separate them?

Completely agree.

Show me a mainstream website that has so much women's sports coverage that you would even consider separating them. Usually mainstream websites have a separate tab for women's sports. Those that are interested know where to go, and those that aren't don't have to bother. Simple as...

Back
Top Bottom