*** Show us your Dogs ***

Caporegime
Always wanted one of these, anyway adjusted your image. I hope you don't mind

I would seriously recommend reading up on the breed until you are sick of them, then go to some dog shows and find a local adoption charity for them...Then if you're partially certain, try and foster one first.

THEN, potentially think about getting one.

Soldato
another new arrival in the 233 household

11002644_10153782580628636_3731663084524917105_n.jpg

11011251_10153782580748636_1130100047549542008_n.jpg

little French bulldog to keep our 7 month old staffy company :)

best of friends already :)

Associate
I would seriously recommend reading up on the breed until you are sick of them, then go to some dog shows and find a local adoption charity for them...Then if you're partially certain, try and foster one first.

THEN, potentially think about getting one.

Absolutely, totally agree! We're very much involved with a sled dog charity and waaaaaay too many queuing up to come in, never mind finding alternative homes (I curse you GOT and ** No swearing ** :mad:). We foster - as well as having 3 adopted Huskies

Here's our latest adoption (showing off his newly embroidered patches by us) - he escaped the Dog Warden, feral on waste ground for 6 months over last winter and was going to be shot as impossible to rehabilitate. Of our 5 dogs, he's easily the most affectionate! ;)

Soldato
can't wait to actually post in this thread for real....

But here's Sam:
dBV6VXB.png

He's an ex-racing greyhound we're adopting in 95 days time! we're waiting until the summer holidays when my GF is off for 6 weeks to let him settle and to give us time to sort our fences out.
We've been back every week to walk him and will keep going back until we take him home! it's great to take a pack of greyhounds out - we're with about 8 at a time.

We had the pick of about a dozen or so and have walked them all, or at least been out with them and this big fella has the best temper and instantly made an impression on us. He's an odd colour at the moment but he should turn a steely grey when his coat comes through. (blue)

he's only raced once as he could not do the bends very well so didn't run again; he rockets in a straight line though! they have unreal speed when you see them go, or run towards you!

Soldato
can't wait to actually post in this thread for real....

But here's Sam:
dBV6VXB.png

He's an ex-racing greyhound we're adopting in 95 days time!

An excellent thing to do! Greyhounds are abandoned almost as much as staffies are. There's a lady that lives near me who rescues greyhounds, I always see her with at least 3. I've found them to be the most timid dogs I've ever met. You can tell they need a lot of love, I guess being bred for sport they don't always get the attention they need.

Good luck with him!

Soldato
An excellent thing to do! Greyhounds are abandoned almost as much as staffies are. There's a lady that lives near me who rescues greyhounds, I always see her with at least 3. I've found them to be the most timid dogs I've ever met. You can tell they need a lot of love, I guess being bred for sport they don't always get the attention they need.

Good luck with him!

It's funny you say hers are timid; there's only one out of about 30 dogs at this place who is timid; they're generally very used to people and being handled but can get spooked easily by new things as all they know is racing and kenels.

I guess that's the unknown thing getting them from an RGT centre - you never really know their background

This one's coming from a lady who breeds them for racing but is now concentrating on rehoming her own hounds and others as she is puling out from the racing scene. she very obviously loves the dogs and they're so well looked after. she has been super helpful and very accomodating too letting us pick a dog and she will keep him until we're ready.

There's loads of retired greyhound charities out there though but honestly - the ones I've contacted have not been helpful at all, some havent even replied. (North West)

The most helpful was Greyhound Gap but their dogs need a lot more time than we can offer as they're all quite serious cases; more suited for retired people or people who will be around 24/7.

They're an ideal breed for us though; they need hardly any excersise; they're knackered after a 20 minute walk and they're the most loving, gentle and freindly dogs we've met. The downside is that they're very big (although curl up into tiny spaces) and can't really be let off the lead until you truly know them well and it's in an enclosed area.

The one we're getting is fine around other dogs though; we had them all out on Sunday and there was a lass from the kennels who was walking a dog who was still racing and she had him on too long of a leash, the dog stopped, she walked on and the dog saw a little yorkie who came running up to a gate barking and the greyhound went for it - it had 2 leash lengths advantage and pulled the poor lass with it. Greyhounds can get to top speed in only a few strides so she had no chance!

I had Sam (our future dog) and he wasn't fussed about the yorkie at all! he was interested like most dogs would be but wasn't going after it.
There's a big difference between how 'keen' the active racing dogs are and the retired dogs are though; they're very competitive when out and set eachother off. The few retired dogs we had were not fussed and remained calm!

Soldato
Yeah they spook like horses do, it's like everything is new to them. The rescue centre sounds like its a good one. I was looking for another staffy and thought I'd give some rescues a chance, but there's so many rules and they wanted my dog to be neutered before letting another dog come stay here. I'm still undecided what to do.

Back
Top Bottom