*** Show us your Dogs ***

Soldato
Local pet shop had a Christmas party, and we took Yoshi along to get his Christmas photo, took a few attempts but we got him to sit for a few seconds, long enough for the photographer to get a few snaps.

He is nearly 20 month pure bred GSD, his Dad was white which gives him his different colours.

xCyIYbo.jpg

Sui

Sui

Soldato
Don’t know if this is the right place to ask but it’s on topic! How do people manage with dogs when working 9-5? Get a dog walker in each day around lunchtime?
We’d love a dog but would just feel guilty leaving it all day :(

Associate
Depends on the dog, some are happy being left, some aren't. Also depends on the environment they are left in.

If you are adopting, it's quite a common question they get about dogs, so they can usually tell you which dogs don't mind being left alone during the day. Maybe give your local adoption centre a ring and see what they say.

Soldato
Don’t know if this is the right place to ask but it’s on topic! How do people manage with dogs when working 9-5? Get a dog walker in each day around lunchtime?

IMO its not fair to get a dog when you are not with it most of the day.

Soldato
We only have a dog as my wife works part time, so the most he is alone is 4-5 hours if she is on a late shift, but he is a fairly placid GSD, but he gets a walk when I first get up then in the evening before bed, plus he gets lots of fuss and play time when we are home.

I would not like to think how he would be on his own for 8-9 hours at a time

Soldato
I have an old english bulldog which is quite happy being left, i'll fill up his Kong with some random bits and it keeps him occupied. He's been used to it from a young age. Sometimes when i get in from work and open his cage he sometimes still just looks at me and doesn't get out. Depends on breed and indiviudal dog. I would expect something like a sheepdog to hate being left as they're active and require to be stimulated a bit, i've had a pug before this which was similar in that she was happy sleeping on the sofa. Now my partner has changed job she is there a few days a week so hes seing more people than usual.

Associate
This is Isabelle, working field lab. She's now 13 months and is fantastic. She retrieves, she quarters, she has an excellent nose, a fantastic character and she's really a top puppy.
anJuF20.jpg
d3gPxfN.jpg
And with her very first duck:
EGfeOB1.jpg

Soldato
I have an old english bulldog which is quite happy being left, i'll fill up his Kong with some random bits and it keeps him occupied. He's been used to it from a young age. Sometimes when i get in from work and open his cage he sometimes still just looks at me and doesn't get out. Depends on breed and indiviudal dog. I would expect something like a sheepdog to hate being left as they're active and require to be stimulated a bit, i've had a pug before this which was similar in that she was happy sleeping on the sofa. Now my partner has changed job she is there a few days a week so hes seing more people than usual.
I've got 2 of the mugs. They sleep about 23.5 hours of the day. One is 7 and the other just turned 2. Stupid as **** and still sleeps all the time. Then just mental in between those times.

Soldato

Luckily mine comes into work with me most days. He usually stays at home one or two days a week at the most but is out with me at the weekends as well. If I go into town he comes with me so I only tend to visit dog friendly places and all our holidays are geared around places we can take him. We figure he's part of the family so why have him and leave him at home or in a kennel.

I set up a webcam to watch what he did when I left him for a day. He just played with his toy for a bit then slept the rest of the time. For a collie he's pretty lazy!

Permabanned
This is Isabelle, working field lab. She's now 13 months and is fantastic. She retrieves, she quarters, she has an excellent nose, a fantastic character and she's really a top puppy.

And with her very first duck:

Always amazes me to see a good working dog doing whatever its specialty is. It's probably a bit of a pose but a local farmer goes in to the local Tesco car park and leaves six retrievers sat on the open tail gate of his pickup. No leads, no shock collars, just well trained. They will sit totally still and quiet despite many distractions, natural and deliberate, for up to an hour, then all go back in on to the bed of the truck whilst he drives them home. Dozens have taken photos of them. I can't even get `er indoors to stay quiet for half that time.

Nice dog!!

Associate
Always amazes me to see a good working dog doing whatever its specialty is. It's probably a bit of a pose but a local farmer goes in to the local Tesco car park and leaves six retrievers sat on the open tail gate of his pickup. No leads, no shock collars, just well trained. They will sit totally still and quiet despite many distractions, natural and deliberate, for up to an hour, then all go back in on to the bed of the truck whilst he drives them home. Dozens have taken photos of them. I can't even get `er indoors to stay quiet for half that time.

Nice dog!!

Thanks -- she's not there yet, but at 13 months she can sit, off the lead, by herself (with me at 50m or so playing with my phone) for 10 minutes at a time with 'moderate' distractions... She can also be sitting at my foot, off the lead, while ducks, pheasants and stuff fly/runs around and she stays there until I send her out.

One day a hare ran straight for us before noticing it was a bad idea, and did a 90 degrees perhaps 5 meters from us. She sat there looking at it run. Ok she was trembling a bit, but she didn't move, I was *so* proud :)

Soldato
Personally at great cost to myself. I absolutely don't agree with anyone who thinks a dog can be left alone for more than 3-4hrs.
I worked at home when ours was a puppy so she was with me 24/7
Now I and my other half work we pay 20quid a day for her to go to a carer/walker and is picked up when we finish. She loves it and loves her pack that she's with each day.
Costs a lot but I have a clear conscience and the dog has the best life she can have. Walked twice a day through forests, getting muddy and having fun.

Back
Top Bottom