*** Show us your Dogs ***

Soldato
Eurgh, late night trip to the out of hours vet for diggory..

Throwing up food, not pooping, very shaky and subdued. I thought it might've been a blockage. Vet had a poke about no tenderness/pain, took bloods which were normal, had a slight temperature.

Advised to monitor and feed in small quantity. Had diarrhoea this morning so hopefully just a bad upset tummy.

Looking very sorry for himself currently and doesn't want to come out of his crate. Poor pupper..

Don

Throwing up food, not pooping, very shaky and subdued. I thought it might've been a blockage. Vet had a poke about no tenderness/pain, took bloods which were normal, had a slight temperature.

Advised to monitor and feed in small quantity. Had diarrhoea this morning so hopefully just a bad upset tummy.

Looking very sorry for himself currently and doesn't want to come out of his crate. Poor pupper..

Poor pup.
I had a similar episode yesterday, well not as severe, but after a long walk in the morning, we came home and I showered my 7 month old cockerpoo and we went out for a couple of hours. I came back and see was limping, not putting any weight on her back leg. I thought potentially there is a thorn or something in her pad but inspecting it closely, I can't see anything other than a a tiny hole in her pad, touching it doesn't bother her but around the pad, the paw in general, she goes mad. I gave it the day and night but it's no better this morning.

I'm considering booking a trip to the vets to see if they can find anything. All I'm thinking is that where the tiny hole is there is potentially something in there, but we looked quite thoroughly and there is no definitely no foreign object poking out of it that I could get tweezers too.

Soldato

There seems to be a load of dog gastroenteritis going around at the moment. A couple weeks ago Burt was throwing up not himself and last week, my missus's brothers dog was throwing up for a couple days. The vet said there had been quite a few cases recently but as long as they were drinking it wasn't much to worry about and they should sort themselves out.

V6Jbj5F.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
There seems to be a load of dog gastroenteritis going around at the moment. A couple weeks ago Burt was throwing up not himself and last week, my missus's brothers dog was throwing up for a couple days. The vet said there had been quite a few cases recently but as long as they were drinking it wasn't much to worry about and they should sort themselves out.

This! My mum was telling me last night about how loads of dogs in her area have had the same thing.

Soldato
weird.. thanks for that guys, wonder if it's a bug or something. he was at puppy school Saturday morning but was perfectly fine up to 9:30pm last night.

he's 6 months now and to be honest he's been a complete pain to find food that doesn't upset him so he's on chicken and rice anyway.

Caporegime
How much are GSD pups these days? One's that have a decent hip score etc. I'm a lover of larger dogs, and everyone says that GSDs are the best dog for the first time owner.

Soldato
How much are GSD pups these days? One's that have a decent hip score etc. I'm a lover of larger dogs, and everyone says that GSDs are the best dog for the first time owner.
We paid £1000 for ours last about 14 months ago.
I like large dogs also and have had three weimaraners over the last 20 years or so. Loki is my first GSD. My opinion FWIW is that they are not necessarily ideal first dogs.
The caveat being how much time and effort you are prepared to put in for an extended period. I've had to deal with a few challenges with Loki in the first year or so. Dog reactivity, Wariness of strangers, over protectiveness of the home to mention a few. These dogs need to be worked and tired out physically and mentally. They need structure and leadership. They like to bark and when they do - they are intimidating to people. That is why they are such good protection dogs.

If you have the time and the dedication then they are great dogs but be ready for a challenge and bear in mind that they are quite often very attached to one person only. Ours is great with my teenage children but they don't walk him and even the wife is not 100% confident. I've learned a lot from him and just has he has the potential to be a great dog then I have potential to be a great owner - if we both keep working at it.

If you are house proud or have a house proud Mrs then don't get one -they shed, a lot, all year.

ipz-rK9If1op2oLnkKCt_v6IbGmLM02MAgYSeFC_SX3U1vlrVE-56QPQld08hLSW1h-x6KSf7wRL16vfQZz-xDdPJ2Rk8ftaZSavebSGKNDMx5fl-cY-5HQ0V-KAcp4Qhrg72ZUn9vk6PwjxaW0OKXjoBPjpg27LQbwxd4XzfO_ZmMIeNK2tfKurtxazh9TTWuHlfahdHG-KP-oVn9I5VXSFhG3JCkbRtes7i-ZyxGfZ79mWBZD_0vqGKk8K1T9Utancewx7JKhnFU2a-NbSnv0v96yERyob499j2xmCOnHYImccx5wmxcwJef_lILTTSxKnERapeyh3DG5tzitPJRLWsitu6OfHb15KhUsTD5Sdr-jeJ3FVGGhlIC6hz0vNc65cWm_9NLfYl5sA6NwkMKBVc4l_2WShjY8tQwcUr7ICoxyvHrLqzs5aq37SAzAqdUkyHeU7ZyvEulDiEOnEz827_If1ihmnuzD7nbw25ERs2mMofXUhSE5zugLI7amRsckBPzeU5eF_czl-9wEPPxLOLYnJeB4MLC_5sYxZ94qne7TLp3hA7EfShsxFBv4OvtLvI3fKJgja82jhJ0w0rv4J6GrnW_0jLrWegpQkEngPLld1MXWsXyiXNOFTNDdj-S7LDtPbgeeMEbt3vV4KB06U_7wCox5VMH9jXNKNB02zA1F0TEFvjHQ=w800-no-tmp.jpg

Soldato
Diggory seems much happier now, other than still having the squirts. Not throwing up and is much brighter.

Milking the attention a bit but he's a good doggo..

2m3OMz6.jpg

Caporegime
We paid £1000 for ours last about 14 months ago.
I like large dogs also and have had three weimaraners over the last 20 years or so. Loki is my first GSD. My opinion FWIW is that they are not necessarily ideal first dogs.
The caveat being how much time and effort you are prepared to put in for an extended period. I've had to deal with a few challenges with Loki in the first year or so. Dog reactivity, Wariness of strangers, over protectiveness of the home to mention a few. These dogs need to be worked and tired out physically and mentally. They need structure and leadership. They like to bark and when they do - they are intimidating to people. That is why they are such good protection dogs.

If you have the time and the dedication then they are great dogs but be ready for a challenge and bear in mind that they are quite often very attached to one person only. Ours is great with my teenage children but they don't walk him and even the wife is not 100% confident. I've learned a lot from him and just has he has the potential to be a great dog then I have potential to be a great owner - if we both keep working at it.

If you are house proud or have a house proud Mrs then don't get one -they shed, a lot, all year.

Being a horse owner I've got access to quite a large amount of land and the distractions of a livery yard for a dog, just a thought at the moment though. I've heard that huskies and malamutes don't tend to bark so much but are not the easiest to obedience train for a first time owner? What about rottweilers or dobermans?

Though a problem might be that my horse is quite dog aggressive and will try to stomp or kick dogs if they get close so the dog would need to learn there's a boundary around my mare.

As you can imagine with horses, not house proud lol.

Last edited:
Soldato
What about rottweilers or dobermans?

All the dobermans I've ever known have been such good companions. A bit clumsy but full of love! Trigger was my grandmothers dog and he was a lovely creature. I was about ~10 when he went to the dog park in the sky but he was perfect. He was the father to the dog I ended up having, Dino. But Dino was a cross.

My partner and I are thinking of getting a Whippet or Italain Greyhound. Never owned a sighthound before but I just love them. Greyhounds, Whippets and Salukis especially. Even Lurchers. I just think they're such nice dogs.

Associate
Two of my three dogs have had this enteritis bug, very unpleasant it was too (for me and them). The third seems to have escaped it somehow but I guess there's there's time yet. Youngest pup got it first 2 weeks ago, oldest got it one week later and is just recovering now.

Associate
I am the proud owner of a 9 month old Turkish Kangal.
I will post a photo once I understand what i'm doing wrong with the image links.
https://imgur.com/a/GeLhlRQ

He weighs in at 42kg at the moment. He will probably hit around 70kg.
Current height on the shoulder is 28.5inches and should hit upto 32inches.

I love him to bits.

GeLhlRQ

GeLhlRQ [IMG]]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom