*** Show us your Dogs ***

Associate
A link to your photo arrived on my phone, but not here on my PC. I have taken the liberty of attaching the photo of your lovely dog here for you. Nice black mask and nice conformation, excellent tail carriage, he'd show well. Very nice!

baron-c-karabash.jpg

Thanks Chris, I have been away from forums for a while, ill work out whats wrong with the method I use for image upload. I have an Instagram for the pooch if you want to see a bunch of stuff.

So I'm UK born Turkish origin from the 70's. My father bought some Karabash over to the UK in late 80's. Also English servicemen stationed in Turkey and Cyprus would adopt them and bring them to UK around same time. Diaspora from Turkey across Europe also assisted in their cultivation.

Our dogs eventually went to working farms in the UK and then into breeding programs around the UK.My Anatolian 'Hix' is a descendent of one of those programs (which is lovely as that line was from my grandad)

About 'HIX'
Weight :56 kg (i keep him athletic)
Height:33 inch to shoulder

He is a 'Sunlion Anatolian' from Scotland. (Kennel club registered )His Uncle was best of breed pastoral (last couple of years).

The full 'sharp' behaviour from back home in Turkey has been dulled for EU/UK. They just don't need that level of aggression. In Turkey they are up against wolves and bears so its required.
I spent time in Africa, and they were introduced there as they have the tools to handle large predators like cheetas etc...

In my experience, Anatolian/karabash expect full reciprocal behaviour from the dogs they encounter. Full dog behaviour and cordial conduct or they let you know about it.

They are a fabulous breed, but like you say Chris, they are a commitment and props for rescues.
I reported a few idiots in my time who thought it would be a good idea to get a Karabash without understanding the ramifications.

I get stopped a lot and asked about him and he is great with the ladies

But he is like driving a car, constant alert and attention as its generally other dogs taht are an issue in their untrained behaviour (owners fault )

Never off leash, and I use a gencon all in one head leash gives me control and let's me keep him secure around people.
Local basketball court lets me let him off leash for his runs, and I long leash when we are in open spaces(fields etc..)

Only other gripe is because my local park is hampstead heath, 'Hix' considers the heath 'HIS'.
Thats the hyper territorial trait.
Recently had him neutered as he was getting rough, now he has reverted tochildlike behaviour, just wants to play and play and play and play!!!
Wrestling with a 9 stone tooled up karabash is like a going up against a heavyweight MMA fighter.

Last edited:
He's actually on the smaller side, some are very "impressively" sized, a rescue I had was well over 10 stone and still fit and fast. In Turkey they have some monsters...But bigger is not always better, a medium size looks better IMO and probably fitter for purpose.

Aslan, a big rescue, but terrible unpredictable temperament, ended up euthanised sadly, he was dangerous. Did my best...got the scars to prove it, and a damaged nerve so I can put a fag against the base of my thumb and not feel a thing. Good party piece <LOL>

The bitch he's with (not my wife ;) ) was largish Alsatian sized.

aslan2.jpg

aslan1.jpg

Monster in Turkey:

big-karabash.jpg
I just want to hug them!! :cry:

They look like they would be really cosy and snuggly :)

Just gorgeous but they must eat so much food??

Associate
He's actually on the smaller side, some are very "impressively" sized, a rescue I had was well over 10 stone and still fit and fast. In Turkey they have some monsters...But bigger is not always better, a medium size looks better IMO and probably fitter for purpose.

Aslan, a big rescue, but terrible unpredictable temperament, ended up euthanised sadly, he was dangerous. Did my best...got the scars to prove it, and a damaged nerve so I can put a fag against the base of my thumb and not feel a thing. Good party piece <LOL>

The bitch he's with (not my wife ;) ) was largish Alsatian sized.

aslan2.jpg

aslan1.jpg

Monster in Turkey:

big-karabash.jpg

Awwww...handsome.
Yeah, rescue karabash are 50/50 since the aloof and independent nature of the breed can make any remedial behavioural training problematic.
Yeah I had a nasty gash over the summer when mine bumped into my hand and gashed my hand when food guarding, my fault didn't see the high value bone my sister had left in the garden for him.

Yeah, there are different themes of the karabash, so that malakli,sivas kangal etc..regional variations.
The monster style is just boys and their toys. Hix father is 10 half stone and as you say fit As hell. Also, native Turks are historically 'short' people, that guy is probably 5.5 ;)

I keep mine at athletic to guard against any future physical ailments that are the main issues for large breeds, hip etc..

I do hope they remain under the radar as a breed, I always worry that they they get picked up by the wrong sort of owner and are mistreated and become classified as 'dangerous'.
I'm seeing more and more in London.

Associate
I just want to hug them!! :cry:

They look like they would be really cosy and snuggly :)

Just gorgeous but they must eat so much food??

Yes to cosy and snug.although, with his childlike behaviour after neuter being mouthed by his gashes gets to be annoying .
They don't eat as much as you think, they are sparse eaters.
Definatly quality over quantity in food.

I feed mine a variation of 'dog Stew' so boiled chicken offcuts with bone then removed, add shredded potato and carrots, cup of rice . Then after thats cooked, stir in 2 eggs. Cool and serve.

Large breeds eat around 400-500g of food as average.

Yes to cosy and snug.although, with his childlike behaviour after neuter being mouthed by his gashes gets to be annoying .
They don't eat as much as you think, they are sparse eaters.
Definatly quality over quantity in food.

I feed mine a variation of 'dog Stew' so boiled chicken offcuts with bone then removed, add shredded potato and carrots, cup of rice . Then after thats cooked, stir in 2 eggs. Cool and serve.

Large breeds eat around 400-500g of food as average.
I discovered I rather liked being bitten by my puppy when she was really small. :rolleyes:

Sounds like your dogs eat better than me! ;)

Permabanned
This is what the big rescue in my photos did to my arms when I went to clip his lead on. The previous owners never told me was used as a guard dog in a London factory and burglars had tried to tie him up round his neck. Luckily I was experienced enough with biting dogs not to try and pull away as that's when they tear you up. I just had to stand there and take it until my wife could get the kennel door ajar and I could get away as soon as he let go. Which seemed a LONG time ;) Photos about ten days after the bite, at the time my arm was a swollen mess, my vet pal did some cleaning up and some strip stitches and then took me to the pub for some "good medicine", where I promptly threw up (shock). In all seriousness at the time I thought I was going to get a proper mauling, which is frightening with such a powerful dog.

So Alice, be careful what you wish for :)

bite1.jpg

bite2.jpg

bite3.jpg

bite3jpg

Soldato
Great pics in here. Sadly I just found out my dog has a nasal tumour and won't last until next xmas because it will get painful for her and we obviously don't want that to happen. Was a horrific sight, came down and blood everywhere as she was bleeding out of one side of her nose. Back home now and fine but it's just a matter of time. I can hold it together with the passing of people but have struggled always with pets, may be an 'autistic' thing as I guess for most people it's the opposite.

This is what the big rescue in my photos did to my arms when I went to clip his lead on. The previous owners never told me was used as a guard dog in a London factory and burglars had tried to tie him up round his neck. Luckily I was experienced enough with biting dogs not to try and pull away as that's when they tear you up. I just had to stand there and take it until my wife could get the kennel door ajar and I could get away as soon as he let go. Which seemed a LONG time ;) Photos about ten days after the bite, at the time my arm was a swollen mess, my vet pal did some cleaning up and some strip stitches and then took me to the pub for some "good medicine", where I promptly threw up (shock). In all seriousness at the time I thought I was going to get a proper mauling, which is frightening with such a powerful dog.

bite1.jpg

bite2.jpg

bite3.jpg

bite3jpg
Oh my god, that's horrendous!! I'm glad he didn't do any serious damage although that looks nasty enough!!

The poor dog too though :(

Lilith will be 19 weeks old on Thursday but even though she is a mini sausage dog, I definitely don't want to encourage her to bite as she made me bleed the other day by accident when my finger got caught on a tooth :rolleyes:

Great pics in here. Sadly I just found out my dog has a nasal tumour and won't last until next xmas because it will get painful for her and we obviously don't want that to happen. Was a horrific sight, came down and blood everywhere as she was bleeding out of one side of her nose. Back home now and fine but it's just a matter of time. I can hold it together with the passing of people but have struggled always with pets, may be an 'autistic' thing as I guess for most people it's the opposite.
Awwww, I'm so sorry to hear that :(

And that must have been a really frightening and worrying situation for you.

Just before I had my mini sausage, Tilly, put down earlier this year at the end of May, she had a nose bleed.

I honestly nearly threw up and crapped my pants with fear and worry.

She had cushings disease so I knew she didn't have much time left but nothing can prepare you for losing them.

I did the right thing for her and that was the important thing but I've never felt such an avalanche of pain before.

I lost my mum when 19 and my dad just over 2 years ago but losing tilly felt so much worse and I still miss her desperately.

I don't have autism but I do have a borderline personality disorder so I do understand in a way how losing a much loved pet, who is family, can hurt so much.

Soldato

It's not autistic.. they're defenceless and you've no way of explaining it etc.. much worse because all they want to do is carry on being your best friend.

Associate

bite1.jpg

bite2.jpg

bite3.jpg

bite3jpg

Ouch,
Yeah 600 llbs+ of bite strength does that....glad to hear you didn't pull back...
Well, you got a tale to tell out of it, and not irreparable damage.

Associate
It's not autistic.. they're defenceless and you've no way of explaining it etc.. much worse because all they want to do is carry on being your best friend.
Exactly, Nothing to do with 'autistic'.
It has everything to do with 'Authentic'.

I can state categorically that I have never been in love or loved anyone or anything as much as I do my dog. Women, friends have come and gone. My close family are conditional.
My dog is absolute unconditional mutual love and reciprocal responsibility that isn't a burden.
I'm sincerely sorry to hear about your pooch.

Permabanned
Exactly, Nothing to do with 'autistic'.
It has everything to do with 'Authentic'.

I can state categorically that I have never been in love or loved anyone or anything as much as I do my dog. Women, friends have come and gone. My close family are conditional.
My dog is absolute unconditional mutual love and reciprocal responsibility that isn't a burden.
I'm sincerely sorry to hear about your pooch.

I raise a glass to you, nice sentiment. I will go to my grave knowing at least some life on earth has benefited from my presence. (And some ********* have deservedly rued crossing me ;))

Associate
Has Maddie no class at all? One does not eat things in the bathroom, one dresses for dinner and awaits it being served in the dining room. Slapper dog ;)

or the bedroom... if either of my two daughters leaves a pair of knickers on the floor (a regular occurance) Hazel finds them and chews them to bits. That's happened so often it's ridiculous lol!

Permabanned
or the bedroom... if either of my two daughters leaves a pair of knickers on the floor (a regular occurance) Hazel finds them and chews them to bits. That's happened so often it's ridiculous lol!

I had a customer from Macclesfield who was done for stealing knickers off washing lines, he could have been useful to you I expect... ;) Bloody dogs. One of the pups stole a sealed pack of fence tensioning thimbles, little lead things to tension electric fences. I caught the blighter running around with now split packet in the back garden. 20 in a new pack, only 16 now in this one. 2 hours later i had found the missing four and an x-ray session at the vets averted. Bloody dogs... ;) Happy and healthy Christmas to all dog lovers and their charges!

I had a customer from Macclesfield who was done for stealing knickers off washing lines, he could have been useful to you I expect... ;) Bloody dogs. One of the pups stole a sealed pack of fence tensioning thimbles, little lead things to tension electric fences. I caught the blighter running around with now split packet in the back garden. 20 in a new pack, only 16 now in this one. 2 hours later i had found the missing four and an x-ray session at the vets averted. Bloody dogs... ;) Happy and healthy Christmas to all dog lovers and their charges!
Blooming heck, that sounds so stressful!

I'm so glad it's not just me who has puppy crisises! :cry:

Back
Top Bottom