*** Show us your Dogs ***

Associate
A very sad day for you, but at least a difficult decision didn't have to be made and she slipped quietly away. I have a >15yr dog and she's struggling with multiple medical issues due to her age and at some point I'll have to make that decision. I think she's still got some quality of life right now, still has an appetite and can just about manage short walks. She loves snuffling in the grass and sitting in the sun so how do you decide right that's it - time to go? I hope she goes the same way as your dog, gently in her sleep.

Associate
Sorry to hear about your loss Captain, never easy.

52029246723_420209f724_z.jpg
52029460774_c72a9d83ae_z.jpg
52029723790_95a1ca91f8_z.jpg

Monty ....Goldies are great.

Permabanned
I am saddened to hear this, losing a canine friend is always so hard, but I hope you can think back on the ten years together and have happy memories. I have about twelve dogs buried here and every passing was a wrench.

A very sad day for you, but at least a difficult decision didn't have to be made and she slipped quietly away. I have a >15yr dog and she's struggling with multiple medical issues due to her age and at some point I'll have to make that decision. I think she's still got some quality of life right now, still has an appetite and can just about manage short walks. She loves snuffling in the grass and sitting in the sun so how do you decide right that's it - time to go? I hope she goes the same way as your dog, gently in her sleep.
It sounds like she definitely has some life still to live. It's when she isn't eating or wanting to enjoy life, that I think is the time.

She will most likely let you know when she is "tired".

For me,Tilly, my mini sausage, had cushings disease. She was beginning to deteriorate like yours but she was still wagging her tail and happy to potter around outside and enjoying her food.

Then on her last evening she suddenly had a huge blood clot come out of her nose.

She ate the blood clot but I rang my vet immediately and took her round and he explained that I could keep her going with medication but the blood clot meant that she could have a heart attack or stroke at any moment.

So that made my decision for me.

I knew her end was coming but I didn't want her to suffer any more and the thought of her having a heart attack or stroke would have been awful, for her and for me and for Maddie.

It was the hardest thing I have ever done but my vet was amazing though and he said that I let her go with dignity.

I was with her the whole time and she went to sleep knowing she was deeply loved. It was heartbreaking but having watched both of my parents die, if a death can be kind and gentle and full love, Tilly's was.

Associate
It sounds like she definitely has some life still to live. It's when she isn't eating or wanting to enjoy life, that I think is the time.

She will most likely let you know when she is "tired".

For me,Tilly, my mini sausage, had cushings disease. She was beginning to deteriorate like yours but she was still wagging her tail and happy to potter around outside and enjoying her food.

Then on her last evening she suddenly had a huge blood clot come out of her nose.

She ate the blood clot but I rang my vet immediately and took her round and he explained that I could keep her going with medication but the blood clot meant that she could have a heart attack or stroke at any moment.

So that made my decision for me.

I knew her end was coming but I didn't want her to suffer any more and the thought of her having a heart attack or stroke would have been awful, for her and for me and for Maddie.

It was the hardest thing I have ever done but my vet was amazing though and he said that I let her go with dignity.

I was with her the whole time and she went to sleep knowing she was deeply loved. It was heartbreaking but having watched both of my parents die, if a death can be kind and gentle and full love, Tilly's was.

Thanks for that. She always wants to go out so we go prepared, my daughter takes a backpack designed for carrying dogs and when she gets tired pops her into it and carries her. She seems happy with that.

Don
A question for all you doggy types.

My dog is on Milpro as a de-wormer and Bravecto for flea and tick treatment. Both of these are prescription only and expensive. The cost isn't a problem but it's a faff having to order via the vet every 3 months.
What are the over-the-counter alternatives and are they any good? I'll keep her on what she's on if needs be but was just wondering about alternatives.

Associate
A question for all you doggy types.

My dog is on Milpro as a de-wormer and Bravecto for flea and tick treatment. Both of these are prescription only and expensive. The cost isn't a problem but it's a faff having to order via the vet every 3 months.
What are the over-the-counter alternatives and are they any good? I'll keep her on what she's on if needs be but was just wondering about alternatives.

I use Nexgard which offers cover for all but tape worm (which is a common OTC treatment available anywhere, I don't recall the name). Nexgard isn't cheap either but it's a very good product. I get a 12 month prescription from the Vet for that and buy the full year's supply at one go (3 dogs, £77 per dog for 12 months).

Back
Top Bottom