• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Show us your gains on 337.50 nVidia drivers

Soldato
I just saw the following mentioned in the HardOCP review of the R9 295X2:

On the temps, we have noticed with these latest drivers the 780 Ti is able to go up to 87c now, versus 84c with previous drivers. The observed clock speed also seemed slightly higher than we've experienced before, 1019MHz sustained clock speed on the GTX 780 Ti's while gaming. In the past, we have seen about 1006MHz clock speeds on these cards. This new 337.50 driver may have changed the thermal profile slightly to allow slightly higher clock speeds.

Maybe the new driver is allowing slightly higher clockboosts all around??

Soldato
I have noticed far lower CPU usage when I was doing the 1080P tests, so I am guessing this is why we are seeing gains. I am all out of testing for now and popped the new drivers back on but might have another play with single/SLI cards and different CPU speeds, just to see what the difference is.

I have to say though, I am mightily impressed with these and I will deffo test in 3D to see if there is some gains there as well, as that is quite demanding.

Just tested some stuff in DX9, I don't sense or feel any gains over 335.28, I wonder if Nvidia has taken a look at DX11 (especially due to things like Mantle) and picked up gains/reduced CPU load etc. I just don't know enough about DX11 Api and programming but don't see big gains in basic rendering methods just turning up... Just a thought and it would explain the bigger gains in SLI setups etc.

Soldato
No bud, just the one 4K monitor and one 3D monitor.

Pity. I want someone to inform me the day Nvidia sort out their stupid surround implementation...

I miss my 3D, and I miss Nvidia hardware and drivers, but I just love playing on 3 screens too much, and don't like active3D, so trying to hack it to work with passive screens was just becoming painful :(

Can't wait for affordable 24 inch 4K :D

Soldato
Eurgh, I was hoping to have my results up already but I forgot Thief was only installed on my wife's desktop machine. I don't think a HD7850 would benefit much from new Nvidia drivers... :p

I also forgot how large a download Thief is. I have BT Infinity luckily but still have 4GB to go... :o

On the plus side my 780M is behaving itself temperature wise @ 941/550 (stock is 849/5000).

Results to follow later on.

Caporegime
OP
Just tested some stuff in DX9, I don't sense or feel any gains over 335.28, I wonder if Nvidia has taken a look at DX11 (especially due to things like Mantle) and picked up gains/reduced CPU load etc. I just don't know enough about DX11 Api and programming but don't see big gains in basic rendering methods just turning up... Just a thought and it would explain the bigger gains in SLI setups etc.

Yer, I am kinda putting a tin foil hat on and speculating the reasons for the gains. I could be miles out.

Pity. I want someone to inform me the day Nvidia sort out their stupid surround implementation...

I miss my 3D, and I miss Nvidia hardware and drivers, but I just love playing on 3 screens too much, and don't like active3D, so trying to hack it to work with passive screens was just becoming painful :(

Can't wait for affordable 24 inch 4K :D

I never had any probs in surround bud and I would miss it if I didn't have 4K. I have no regrets :)

Soldato
I never had any probs in surround bud and I would miss it if I didn't have 4K. I have no regrets :)

I didn't have probs with surround itself exactly... my problem is I absolutely need the ability to swap between Eyefinity/Surround and extended desktop easily.

For some stupid reason I cannot fathom, they (nvidia) chose that when you disable surround, it actually disables the two surround monitors! Absolutely bonkers/stupid/mental/frustrating!

So it had to be AMD, where I have a nice little preset and easily swap from Eyefinity to extended... Had it not been for that, I would have stayed with them :(

But glad I sold my 780 Lightning before these drivers came out, or I would have been tempted to re-install it :)

Soldato
I didn't have probs with surround itself exactly... my problem is I absolutely need the ability to swap between Eyefinity/Surround and extended desktop easily.

For some stupid reason I cannot fathom, they (nvidia) chose that when you disable surround, it actually disables the two surround monitors! Absolutely bonkers/stupid/mental/frustrating!

So it had to be AMD, where I have a nice little preset and easily swap from Eyefinity to extended... Had it not been for that, I would have stayed with them :(

But glad I sold my 780 Lightning before these drivers came out, or I would have been tempted to re-install it :)

I thought that was fixed with the 320 Drivers :confused:

Soldato
Rolling back to 335.23 easy enough Greg? No ddu required? Speaks volumes that I've yet to roll back an nvidia driver :)

Will be re recording my tests only this time with fraps so I can get mins and max from everything and check frame times.

Soldato
Right finally got my results all added into Excel.

Test Setup:

- i7 4700MQ @ 3.2Ghz
- GTX780M @ 941/5500
- 16GB DDR3 @ 1600MT/s
- Win 8.1 x64

Benchmarks:

- Thief - built in benchmark with and without SSAA applied ("Max settings")
- Sleeping Dogs - built in benchmark with High and Extreme AA
- Crysis 3 - 5 minute FRAPS run from the level "Welcome to the Jungle". High System settings with Very High textures
- BF3 - 5 minute FRAPS run from the level "Operation Swordbreaker" - Ultra settings with and without MSAA

- 3DMark 11 (shown separately) - standard benchmark

Results:

Capture_zpsd3304576.png

Judging by the results I am seeing some noticeable gains when the GPU isn't pegged at 99% load. The best example is probably BF3. With MSAA the difference is non existent, yet take away some of the GPU load and you can see a decent gain.

Sleeping Dogs is a similar story with Extreme AA showing no difference, whilst High AA shows a obvious gain.

Thief shows only a minimal gain so I can only assume I am still somewhat GPU bottlenecked at the settings used.

Nice to seem a boost in Crysis 3 as well. I didn't test "Very High" settings here as the 780M isn't really up to the task. It is technically playable but the average framerate is in the 35-50 region.

EDIT: Doh forgot to add my 3DMark11 results:

326.41 - 8358
337.50 - 8526

Soldato
Having only recently made the swap back, am rather annoyed to find out now they fixed it.

Oh well.... Now if only they would open up 3dvision for all passive 3d monitors

Back
Top Bottom