Shuttle SG33G5(M) - anyone still run one of these?

Soldato
Hi

I’ve pulled my Shuttle out of storage with the aim to resurrect it as a 4K media PC.

It appears I’ve got a Intel C2Q Q6600, 4GB RAM and a 8800 GT installed.

I was wondering - has anyone managed to run 8GB in this? The manual suggests it supports 4GB max. It’s Socket 775 for what it’s worth.

Thanks in advance for any insight anyone can provide.

Soldato
Says it has the Intel G33 Chipset. Intel's own media says it should support 8gb of memory.

Dual-Channel DDR2 Memory Support• Delivers up to 12.8 Gb/s (DDR2 800 dual 6.4 Gb/s) of bandwidth and 8 Gb memory addressability for faster system responsiveness and support of 64-bit computing.
Dual-Channel DDR3 Memory Support• Delivers up to 17 Gb/s (DDR3 1066 dual 8.5 Gb/s) of bandwidth and 8 Gb memory addressability for faster system responsiveness and support of 64-bit computing

I'd update the BIOS and give it a punt. (Then put pics in the SFF gallery. :D )

Soldato
OP
Thanks.

I assume I can't just interchange DDR2 and DDR3?

Another weird thing... this Shuttle has been in its box since October 2013. I booted it up expecting it either not work at all, or have everything reset, but it booted into Windows (7) fine. I swapped the CMOS battery out anyway and amazingly the old one still had a charge of 2.8v... after nearly 7 1/2 years?? How is that even possible?

Soldato
Only DDR2 in that Shuttle from the site. Just the chipset supports both memory types.

Would still be a reasonable setup to use for older games. An SSD and an older GPU upgrade would see it right.

Back
Top Bottom