Siberia 800s upgrade?

Associate
I have had the Steelseries Wireless H and moved onto the Siberia 800s just before my warranty ended (going 3-4years now). I find the headset is good but had a comparison to a few mates headsets and found that they lack in volume and bass while also not really providing much noise cancellation.

Looking to upgrade to gain better sound quality / immersion as a priority - Gaming and Music. I rarely watch TV at the PC.

I am not fussed on Wireless while it's great I would rather have better sound / invest more money into sound quality than £100 to be able to talk to the guys while washing up.

Budget is ~£500 for the setup although I would prefer keeping it at a high end of good value however from reading the stickies realise I have no idea what that is. :p

Associate
I vote for the Hyper-X Cloud II, but it is massively under your budget. Friend has your headset and the Hyper-X one is better sound quality wise etc, IMO.

Associate
OP
I vote for the Hyper-X Cloud II, but it is massively under your budget. Friend has your headset and the Hyper-X one is better sound quality wise etc, IMO.
I'd never described myself as an audiophile but with headsets it's a buy once in a blue moon! So the budget is probably a little OTT.

Soldato
Beyerdynamic MMX300 can be had on a well known auction site for £100. Bargain really for what once was a £250 headset. It's cheap enough that you could add a DAC/amp or sound card if need be.

Associate
OP
Beyerdynamic MMX300 can be had on a well known auction site for £100. Bargain really for what once was a £250 headset. It's cheap enough that you could add a DAC/amp or sound card if need be.
I was looking at the DT 770s which from my understanding is the MMX300 but without a microphone?

My main confusion is over the 32ohm, 80ohm and 250ohm and what implications it has in regards to a MSI Z170A motherboard. Ha. So complicated.

Soldato
Yeah, they are pretty much the 32 Ohm DT770, but with a microphone. £250 was certainly too much for the MMX300, but £100 really is a great price. I think the price reduction is because they are apparently going to be EOL soon.

Anyway; the 32 Ohm variant is best used with anything that doesn't have a dedicated headphone amp. 80 Ohm might be OK, but the 250 Ohm certainly will need an amp.

Associate
OP
Is there any true advantage to higher Ohm? The reviews stat that the 80ohm provides a slightly better base than 32ohm and the 250ohm is more refined at mids. As I'm going for immersion the bass seems the best option. Although if I can get away without an AMP then I may do. I'm just not sure on the diminishing returns and whether the 250 is worth it when I'd need an amp (est £50) nearly adding 50% cost.

I found the MMX 300 on an auction site. I am tempted to buy The 770s as I can use them outside gaming too.

Thanks for the replies so far Masman.

Soldato
Higher Ohm often allows for more refinement, but it's likely that isn't always going to apply.

If you don't need a microphone, then yeah, why not go for the DT770 instead. 80 Ohm version should be OK from your motherboard without the need to add an amplifier.

I think the 250 Ohm version is really only worth getting for mainly music use. I don't see the advantage of the 250 over the 80 for gaming use, not if you've got to add a amp which you wouldn't necessarily do otherwise.

Soldato
As I'm going for immersion the bass seems the best option.
For the best immersion you don't want most bass.
Because that makes other frequencies harder to distinguish and its especially those mids which have the details like foot step sounds etc.

Technically completely neutral bass is best for picking apart environment from sounds, but that also makes bass very shy at moderate volumes eating "fun factor".
(Sennheiser HD59x models are such headphones, same for AKG 701/702)
So balanced approach with stronger than neutral but not exceedingly strong bass is best compromise.

If you have quiet envinronment open design headphone is another thing which can give further improvement with bigger soundstage and easier balancing of different frequencies.
(in closed design stronger bass and mids are hard to balance)
As downside (besides not insulating environmetal noise) because of physics lowest "rumbling" bass can't be strong in open headphone.
Though upper "hitting" bass can be good also in them.

As for Beyerdynamics they have quite average efficiency/"sensitivity" and electric power and even basic cheap Realtek drives 250 ohm models into hearing dangerous volumes.
That sensitivity part is usually discarded while for example some ~60ohm AKGs can need lot more electric power than Beyers and hence are worser load for weak outputs.

Another thing for gaming immersion besides good headphones is feeding them signal already containing those details how human hears in 3D with only two channels/receivers.
That's where integrated sound cards can rarely match separate sound card offering binaural simulation.
If your current headphones are any good (and head/ear shape and size is close enough to average) there's good sense of direction and especially in first minute lots of depth/distance separated sounds:
Bad closed headphones simply lack that depth completely with head in bucket size sound stage and also sense of direction suffers.

...invest more money into sound quality than £100 to be able to talk to the guys while washing up.
And likely someone in other end isn't interested to hear that first you get only cold water and then it turns too hot...

Associate
OP
I'm fairly aware of trade offs on design specifications. The reason I'm leaning to closed is because I want noise isolation both inward and outward. From the reviews I've read the DT770s offered a sensible compromise on that front. Don't really benefit from open headphones in a lan environment and my current 980ti is like a wind tunnel under full load.

If you fully read my post you would realise my current headset are the Siberia 800s. I have zero idea where they fall on the audio quality scale. I used to love wireless as I lived in a small flat and could talk on Skype with people all over the place. Moved to a bigger house and it simply doesn't cover the ground anymore so it's rather meh.

I'm not overly fussed in competitive play. I can comfortably (lazily) play at master level on overwatch with my current setup but beyond that it's just for fun as you get people recommending EQ adjusting to make certain sounds harsher / easier to pick out which is just OTT for my situation imo. Plus I don't have the time Ha!

Can open cans handle busy rooms? Is the soundstage that much better that you'd argue to use two. One for lans one for home? You have argued against the 80ohm but not really recommended an alternative.

Associate
OP
All gone.
Wow those went fast. Shame as I am mighty tempted by the DT770s and those wear a slightly older model? 700 Premiums?

So many considerations and compromises. Do I go open back as it's better sound? I imagine if I make it loud enough my wind tunnel would be irrelevant.

Do I invest more and get a good AMP / DAC alongside and go higher ohm?

I'm a little dubious if a £400 setup is really that much better than simply a lower ohm headset and a lot of reviews on internal soundcards worries me as Windows 10 seems to be a bug haven.

I suppose I would also prefer an external I could use with a console too for a little future proofing.

Associate
Wow those went fast. Shame as I am mighty tempted by the DT770s and those wear a slightly older model? 700 Premiums?

So many considerations and compromises. Do I go open back as it's better sound? I imagine if I make it loud enough my wind tunnel would be irrelevant.

Do I invest more and get a good AMP / DAC alongside and go higher ohm?

I'm a little dubious if a £400 setup is really that much better than simply a lower ohm headset and a lot of reviews on internal soundcards worries me as Windows 10 seems to be a bug haven.

I suppose I would also prefer an external I could use with a console too for a little future proofing.

Do what I did and ask for headphones to be your Christmas gift, I have list to my gf and that's her problem now. I could not decide myself.

Associate
OP
Do what I did and ask for headphones to be your Christmas gift, I have list to my gf and that's her problem now. I could not decide myself.
Hahaha that is evil. I'd prefer the option of sending it back without a judgement stare. :p

Going to spend some more time looking into it before taking the plunge.

V F

V F

Soldato
I have had the Steelseries Wireless H and moved onto the Siberia 800s just before my warranty ended (going 3-4years now). I find the headset is good but had a comparison to a few mates headsets and found that they lack in volume and bass while also not really providing much noise cancellation.

Looking to upgrade to gain better sound quality / immersion as a priority - Gaming and Music. I rarely watch TV at the PC.

I am not fussed on Wireless while it's great I would rather have better sound / invest more money into sound quality than £100 to be able to talk to the guys while washing up.

Budget is ~£500 for the setup although I would prefer keeping it at a high end of good value however from reading the stickies realise I have no idea what that is. :p

Interesting. On the 840’s I had to turn the low end of the bass down and several clicks of the high end as I found it too heavy. I still have the volume limiter on as disabling it I find it too loud. Maybe I just have sensitive ears?

Left treble alone as I found it too piercing?

Associate
OP
Interesting. On the 840’s I had to turn the low end of the bass down and several clicks of the high end as I found it too heavy. I still have the volume limiter on as disabling it I find it too loud. Maybe I just have sensitive ears?

Left treble alone as I found it too piercing?
What are your EQ settings on? I just don't know enough about them to confidently muck around with them.

The 800s don't have a volume limiter beyond the EU legislation. I have fixed my volume issue for home use. Embarrassingly I didn't realise a mate had turned live chat on while at iseries which dampens the volume significantly... :( derp.

Soldato
All gone.

They're still listed with more than 10 available.

They might have re-listed them. I searched before when someone mentioned them in another thread, but couldn't find the listing, only to find them later when someone mentioned that they were still available.

Associate
They're still listed with more than 10 available.

They might have re-listed them. I searched before when someone mentioned them in another thread, but couldn't find the listing, only to find them later when someone mentioned that they were still available.

Seems like they dropping them in batches of 10. I ma not sure if I should take a plunge and order those.

V F

V F

Soldato
What are your EQ settings on? I just don't know enough about them to confidently muck around with them.

The 800s don't have a volume limiter beyond the EU legislation. I have fixed my volume issue for home use. Embarrassingly I didn't realise a mate had turned live chat on while at iseries which dampens the volume significantly... :( derp.

100Hz is 1 down, 300Hz 2 down, 900Hz 2 down, 2.5Khz stock flat and 8Khz stock flat. I don’t use the Dolby setting on PS4 or PC as I despise the echo.

Yet, according to RocketJumpNinja:
3:19 and wait for his EQ settings. Tried them, didn’t like it.

Associate
OP
Seems like they dropping them in batches of 10. I ma not sure if I should take a plunge and order those.
I'm not totally convinced as they use a 2005 model version of the DTs. Seems a little ambitious in my case replacing a headset which is far newer.

100Hz is 1 down, 300Hz 2 down, 900Hz 2 down, 2.5Khz stock flat and 8Khz stock flat. I don’t use the Dolby setting on PS4 or PC as I despise the echo.

Yet, according to RocketJumpNinja:
3:19 and wait for his EQ settings. Tried them, didn’t like it.
Interesting thank you for the links I'll give them a go tonight! I have started turning the dolby off myself. While playing on CS:GO I found Dolby muddied the sound so turned it off. Overwatch doesn't quite benefit from the same level of sound awareness so didn't really notice it. Haven't turned it back on since. It's another reason I was looking at a new headset as I felt the 5.1 / 7.1 etc is where it was made for so a dedicated stereo headset would sound better?

Back
Top Bottom