Side fan on window (or metal side)

Associate
Should this fan (to the side of the CPU cooler or graphics card) be blowing air into the case or act as an exhaust, sucking air out of the case please?

Associate
I think generally:

Front and side in,
Back and top out.

It will depend upon your case to a degree though what options you have.

Soldato
Should this fan (to the side of the CPU cooler or graphics card) be blowing air into the case or act as an exhaust, sucking air out of the case please?

you're far better off showing us your case, because using a side window fan can seriously screw up your airflow and i cant tell till i see a photo.

in the bottom front and out the back top is by far the best set up, but even this can vary

a side fan blowing in can cause a whirlpool vortex cutting off the intake from the exhaust, thus forcing the case to heat up, there was an expert here on this forum a few years ago that studied all of this, plus tried different set ups

Last edited:
Soldato
Generally a side fan is used as an intake.
But on my own case, i tried it as an intake, exhaust and with no fan at all.
Didnt really make much difference in gpu or cpu temps while stress testing. +/- 1.C, but that was just in this case, yours may be different. ;)

edit.
you have a Antec 900, my kids have the first one, i just blocked the side fan hole on that case, it was tiny anyway, 120mm

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom