Side step (away from OLED), or upgrade even?

Soldato
So I'm looking to try and move away from OLED for the moment.

I have an LG BX, the problem is we've got Virgin Media and use TV a lot more, the GF is on maternity leave and there are quite a few instances of her using live pause or even just keeping the TV on TV Guide or even the small bar at the bottom.

If this continues I'm sure it's going to cause screen burn and I've told her and she keeps doing it.

So I'm wondering if there is a possibility of getting rid of this LG and stepping possibly sidewards (maybe upgrade?) to am QLED or something? I'm aware the blacks won't be anywhere as black but the difference it seems is small?

I know the LG has other useful features like DV, Gsync and 120hz too which I wouldn't mind keeping.

Soldato
The GF seems like the problem not the OLED.
You know what to do.

Keep in mind you have experienced OLED for a good while, its going to be difficult being happy with anything else. Specially if you watch it in a dark room.

Last edited:
Soldato
My C9 gets paused regularly used and abused gaming etc and no burn in. After a while it dims the screen or goes into firework saver mode if left static for to long.

Associate
You've gotta live with destruction of your stuff soon enough. That little one is going to have bogies on the walls and poo bits on the carpet. Burn in is least of your problems :D

Enjoy it while you still can, or stick it in man retreat/cave, but if you must sell it, i'd just get an el cheapo set as it'll get abused.

Caporegime
I went from OLED to QLED and don't regret it one bit, what you lose out on in black levels is made for up for in peak brightness and not having to worry about usage patterns is invaluable. That said, as MOOGLEYS pointed out OLED have a lot of mechanisms to prevent burn-in (period panel maintenance etc) and I wouldn't be surprised if the QLED has an LED failure before the OLED shows any signs of a problem. As things stand it's just nice not having to worry about game HUD's and other static white elements.

Soldato
So I'm looking to try and move away from OLED for the moment.

I have an LG BX, the problem is we've got Virgin Media and use TV a lot more, the GF is on maternity leave and there are quite a few instances of her using live pause or even just keeping the TV on TV Guide or even the small bar at the bottom.

If this continues I'm sure it's going to cause screen burn and I've told her and she keeps doing it.

So I'm wondering if there is a possibility of getting rid of this LG and stepping possibly sidewards (maybe upgrade?) to am QLED or something? I'm aware the blacks won't be anywhere as black but the difference it seems is small?

I know the LG has other useful features like DV, Gsync and 120hz too which I wouldn't mind keeping.
My partner been on maternity leave for almost a year and my OLED is fine, no issues. It gets paused a lot to change nappies etc lol.

You could get the LG QNED mini led TV. Same DV vrr and 120hz features. Same picture modes etc. But miniLED with more zones than any other TV including the Samsung qleds as far as I can tell.

Soldato
OP
The QNED seems to be minimum 65" and 2k price, that price ain't nice at the moment!

I mean the burn in issue is a kind of justification to upgrade, so once we get this sofa bed out of the way she might let me relegate the OLED to the bedroom and upgrade the TV, so maybe the burn in might hold off untill a new TV appeaars lol.

Seems like Mini LED might be the way forward

Associate
The QNEDs aren't an "upgrade" from OLED. Even the LG marketing literature makes this clear. They are a step down.

You have a 2020 OLED, there's no worthwhile "upgrade" as yet. Just use it as intended and you'll be fine. Something on "pause" isn't going to cause burn-in; that's not how it works. OLEDs don't burn-in, they burn out (cumulatively). Therefore, it's only going to go bad if you have the same static display element up all of the time. For example, if you're a video editor and have your timeline up in the same portion of the screen all that time; you might want to avoid OLED.

If you're using it for TV; games; movies; don't worry a jot about burn-in.

Soldato
The QNEDs aren't an "upgrade" from OLED. Even the LG marketing literature makes this clear. They are a step down.

You have a 2020 OLED, there's no worthwhile "upgrade" as yet. Just use it as intended and you'll be fine. Something on "pause" isn't going to cause burn-in; that's not how it works. OLEDs don't burn-in, they burn out (cumulatively). Therefore, it's only going to go bad if you have the same static display element up all of the time. For example, if you're a video editor and have your timeline up in the same portion of the screen all that time; you might want to avoid OLED.

If you're using it for TV; games; movies; don't worry a jot about burn-in.

Sorry that’s just wrong. I do all 3 . It will happen

Associate
Sorry that’s just wrong. I do all 3 . It will happen
Been using various LG OLEDs since 2016. I've had -what- 3 different faults with different TVs now? None of them were burn-in.

I didn't even get burn in on my Pioneer Kuro that I had for 10 years, despite everybody telling me "you WILL get burn in on plasma" so forgive me if I'm somewhat sceptical.

You'll get burn in if you have static UI elements up all the time. You will 100% not get burn in by leaving things on pause for a couple of hours (unless she likes to go back to that exact same frame every time she pauses the TV). The way burn-in works on OLED is that it's a cumulative wearing process, rather than what you might imagine with an image being "stuck".

Associate
I didn't even get burn in on my Pioneer Kuro that I had for 10 years, despite everybody telling me "you WILL get burn in on plasma" so forgive me if I'm somewhat sceptical.
I was to having had a plasma for about 9 years in the early days, i.e. it didn't have HDMI! Then a 2nd one for about 6, neither had any sign of burn in. My G series OLED, which is about 5 years old, is showing signs of burn in. You need a solid red area to see it but I can't identify what it is. I think it's from a ticker type thing but it doesn't line up with those that I do occasionally have on.

Caporegime
I don't know about LG but Panasonic OLED does a panel maintenance every 1000hrs or so, I'm presuming that's to even out the wear.

Associate
I don't know about LG but Panasonic OLED does a panel maintenance every 1000hrs or so, I'm presuming that's to even out the wear.
Yeah, that's how it works. The LG TVs do that as well.

There's a short version as well that happens for every 4 hours of use; once you switch off. That's why it's important to keep it on standby (rather than switching-off at the plug).

Back
Top Bottom