Silent Heatsink for overclocked Q8200 for under £20?

Associate
Silent Heatsink for overclocked Q8200 for under £25?

I'm building a pc for a friend and he wants it silent, which cooler do you recommend for q8200 Skt 775, i want the best heatsink possible for under £25. Cooler doesn't have to be from ocuk btw.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Hi ,

It would be pretty difficult to get near silent but being good enough to cool an overclocked CPU. Especially for the price you mentioned. THIS COOLER springs to mind though. You need ample space for this so a tower really. But when working it does its job and is pretty quiet.

McT

Soldato
You don't get a silent cooler capable of dealing with an overclocked quad core for £20. The best you can hope for is one which makes less noise than the graphics card.

Something like the TRUE will do this, but will cost around 50.

Associate
OP
was thinking of something like the: Xigmatek XP-S964 eXtreme Performance 92mm PWM Fan x4 Heat-pipe LGA775/K8/AM2 Cpu cooler which is around £21. The fan is detachable and also has a fan controller as on the quietest setting i might not hear it over the 120mm case fan. I'll be using onboard graphics so no noisy graphics card.

Soldato
<PEDANT>
All heatsinks are silent. Fans aren't.
</PEDANT>

Silent air-cooling is easy depending on how heavily the system will be used. If the cpu will be used for desktop work and the net for short periods then even a low-flow fan with a big heatsink will keep the cpu from overheating but if required to do long gaming sessions or video-rendering then you will need to accept noise.

So, quetion your friend on what he really means by "silent". Does he want silent when not in use (in which case he could try turning it off!)? Does he want silent when gaming (in which case he's an idiot since the game will not be silent!)?

Back
Top Bottom