Silent or very quiet PAY for gaming

Associate
Hi, when gaming my psu fans becomes very loud. It's very annoying as the rest of my system is very quiet. Admittedly it's a pretty cheap fractual design 750w. Anyone got suggestions for a good powerful psu which is quiet while gaming.

Cheers

Associate
Anything from the Be Quiet! range..
As the name says, they pride emselves on silence and performance... I got a Be Quiet System power 8 500w in this pc now and its quiet as a mouse even under load. Its 80+ bronze and under £50.. absolute bargain. oh and it has full black wires in case you was looking for aesthetics.. i personally dont like the rubabrb and custard loking ones so i got this :)

Man of Honour
How much do you want to spend? Seasonic has several higher end models that have a passive mode that keeps the fan off until a certain temperature/load - the 1050 watt model for instance will run most single GPU gaming rigs entirely passively and even if the fan comes on its really quiet especially at lower speeds.

Associate
OP
I7700k / msi gtx 1080ti / 32gb lpx vengeance 3200mhz / d5 pump / 3 res fans / 3 case fans / Asus hero mobo / couple of rgb led strips.

Price doesn't really concern me. Would pay a premium to have it quieter. The psu is like Apollo 13 launch under full load lol.

Associate
OP
The fans are pretty high quality and not really very loud. I've put my head next to all the components while underload and it's the psu that's stupidly loud. I don't expect a gaming pc to be completely silent but this psu is ridiculous lol.

Man of Honour
I would have recommended a 550w psu but looking at reviews the 1080ti on it's own can pull up to 339w (depending on the card you buy) and that's without overclocking it so I would be looking at a 600-650w unit.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

These are all fully modular, gold rated psu's. The EVGA, Seasonic, Superflower and XFX all have a switch to change between normal and Eco/Hybrid fan mode. This mode means that the fan only starts up when the psu hits a certain load or temp. The Bitfenix and Corsair both have a quiet fan.

The Bitfenix Whisper M 650w is a CWT built unit with quad 12v rails and the full 650w is available across them. Each rail delivers power to a dedicated component group so, 12v1 is motherboard and peripherals, 12v2 is CPU, 12v3 is GPU 1, 12v4 is GPU 2. All Bitfenix Whisper M series psu's have a 7 year warranty. I included the 750w version as it's such good value for money. The one downside to this series is that the 24 pin cable has a shroud over it which you can see in the pictures from this review. If you don't have a window on your case it's not a issue.

The XFX XTR 650w is a Seasonic built unit with a single 12v rail of 648w. It has a 5 year warranty and you can read a review here.

The EVGA Supernova G2 is a Superflower built unit and is based on thier own Leadex Gold series but with no annying led's, a different fan and a few internal tweaks specified by EVGA. It has a single 12v rail of the full 650w and has a 7 year warranty. Review here.

The Superflower Leadex II is the latest version of their Leadex Gold series and finally has a switch to turn those awful led's off. It has a single 12v rail of 649w and has a 7 year warranty. There are no reviews yet as it's too new but you can take for granted that they have taken a already cracking psu and made it even better. The New EVGA G3's are based on the Superflower Leadex II as well.

The new Seasonic Focus Plus 650w has been getting very good reviews and are competitively priced which is a pleasant change from Seasonic. They have a single 12v rail of 648w, are very compact units at only 140mm long and have a 10 year warranty. You can read a review here.

This one is semi modular but still gold rated.

The latest Corsair TX650M is a Great Wall built unit with a single 12v rail of 612w and a 7 year warranty. It has the weakest 12v rail of all the psu's I am recommending but that doesn't make it a bad unit. In fact the new TX M series have been getting very good reviews and are very good value for money. There are no reviews of the 650w version yet but there is one here for the 750w version.

Associate
OP
Cheers for all the replies guys, much appreciated. Im going to ordered the Dark Power Pro 850w. I am also going to order another 1080ti to run in tandem while I'm at it. Will it be powerful enough to run both cards?

Associate
While 850W will be fine for two 1080Ti's, you should also consider, if silence is your goal, that PSU fans spin faster the more load that is applied to the PSU. If your system is going to draw 750W and you buy an 850W psu, that fan is going to spin pretty hard. If you buy a 1500W PSU, on the other hand, the fan likely won't even spin. I'm not suggesting that you buy a 1500W PSU I'm just putting the information out there for consideration.

Fanless PSU is another option that has been mentioned.

Soldato
You don't need fanless PSU to be silent.

The fan on the Seasonic X Gold and Seasonic Platinum will spun under load, however it's a gentle draft of air. By the time the Seasonic fans spin up your graphics card and CPU fans will be running far faster and you won't hear the Seasonic X PSU fan over these, even when the Seasonic X fans spin up the noise is still less then a HDD. My oldest Seasonic X is from 2009 (been to the moon and back), there is no visible dust on the fan blades, because the fan almost never turns.

Cheers for all the replies guys, much appreciated. Im going to ordered the Dark Power Pro 850w. I am also going to order another 1080ti to run in tandem while I'm at it. Will it be powerful enough to run both cards?

You should buy the Seasonic Prime 850w thats on sale at the moment

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/seas...-platinum-modular-power-supply-ca-05h-ss.html

It's over £45 cheaper then the Dark Power, and it's also the better PSU with a perfect 10 from JonnyGuru.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=487

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Yeah my Seasonic runs fully passive upto 250 watt load (you do have to make sure its on the right setting) and I've never really heard the fan from it - mid gaming at like 400 watt even shoving my ear beside it can't really hear it especially not over the GPU and case fans etc.

Back
Top Bottom