Silicone pipes, do they make a difference?

Man of Honour
Make a difference to what? The advantages of silicone hoses are that they generally:

a) Last longer
b) Have a wider range of operating temperature
c) are easier to take off and
d) look nicer

Soldato
Hello,

Curiosity has got the best of me once again, but do these make a difference?

Talking about all on top of engine pipes, induction, charge, etc. and also the pipes to intercooler.

So, what do we think?

In my experience, yes.

Replaced all the hoses from turbo to intake manifold on my car. One had split and it was only 40 quid more to replace them all in silicone that it was to replace the single rubber pipe.

The car seems to boost a lot better which I assume is down to the hoses not expanding as much under load. It's not a massive difference but if you're doing other power mods it'll help them.

If it's just for coolant hosing then I'd say it's more cosmetic than owt else.

Soldato
OP
In my experience, yes.

Replaced all the hoses from turbo to intake manifold on my car. One had split and it was only 40 quid more to replace them all in silicone that it was to replace the single rubber pipe.

The car seems to boost a lot better which I assume is down to the hoses not expanding as much under load. It's not a massive difference but if you're doing other power mods it'll help them.

If it's just for coolant hosing then I'd say it's more cosmetic than owt else.

Interesting, thanks.

Was more for performance than anything else, but I like the idea of safeguarding against splitting too.

Soldato
I wish i had some silicone pipe for my heater ancillary hoses yesterday as one burst and spat coolant everywhere while on a track day. Luckily I managed to get some 16mm hose from down the road. Even still it lasted 24 years before expiring.

24 years with basic hose and you reckon silicone hose is worthwhile.

Caporegime
24 years with basic hose and you reckon silicone hose is worthwhile.

I didn't say it was worthwhile. I just said i wish I had some at that particular moment. I have replaced all engine side on mine with rubber actually. I ordered a full ancillary hose kit yesterday for £32+vat whereas just to replace that one burst pipe from Toyota would most likely cost the same. Silicone does have its negatives as well. Rubber makes a better seal that is for sure.

Soldato
The silicone hoses do improve the responsiveness slightly since they hold their shape better. Even better, fit a solid aluminium intake pipe :)

The standard rubber ones are quite soft and flexible so they are easy to fit, but that's bad for performance.

Man of Honour
I fitted mine because I have take the carb out a lot to clean/drain it, and with the standard rubber hose it's really really difficult.
It looks cool too :D

Sili.jpg

Soldato
Interesting, thanks.

Was more for performance than anything else, but I like the idea of safeguarding against splitting too.

https://imgur.com/a/dQSCB9u

This is a pic of the ones fitted to my FMIC before it was bolted to the car. I got them from a company based in Derby called DPHSport. They do kits and single pipes for quite a few vehicles.

Back
Top Bottom