1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Discussion in 'La Cuisine' started by Siliconslave, 17 Jun 2008.

1. Alex_L

Mobster

They help with technique but can be a bit of a rabbit hole chasing perfect visual pours especially if you use VST baskets that are fussy about puck prep.

The main reason I use it all the time is it allows a bigger mug under the filter with scales. I drink mainly 21g triple shots so for those I pull the shot directly into a mug and top with water or steamed milk.

2. mid_gen

Capodecina

Same, I use my bottomless when I'm pulling straight into a mug.

Need a new group head gasket for my Mara, any recommendations? Silicon, or OEM?

3. heeeed

Hitman

I find bottomless good for learning, but it’s also easier to even tamp as can get it flatter on surface. It’s definitely better for some larger mugs too as stated. I don’t honestly see any disadvantage other than when first starting and haven’t got your technique right it’s sputters and spurts, but once you mastered it that’s gone. My machine came with both and after using standard one for 6m or so I switched just to see and haven’t switched back. My traditional now is just my backflusher

4. Raymond Lin

Capo Crimine

I stopped using the bottomless due to the random jets of coffee that comes out at a weird angle which misses the cup AND the tray and end up either on the counter or my clothes.

5. Junglist

Sgarrista

Well you've all put me off of getting one for now!

6. jpaul

Capodecina

charging the bottomless(appropriate surface) and drips on the way to bin, alone ...

7. Siliconslave

Man of Honour

positives are its much easier to tamp, clean and tell when your messing up dosing, plus it looks cool
    negatives are when you mess up you get a real mess with random coffee jets going off at stupid angles.

8. Scam

Capodecina

Going back Moka pots for a sec... I'm after a small 2 cup one (90ml I think?). Can you get Bialetti stainless steel ones at that size? I'm struggling to find one yet it seems it's well worth getting stainless steel rather than the normal aluminium ones. Also, does anyone know how much coffee grams that 2 cupper would take?

I'm a white Americano drinker via Aeropress normally but occasionally want something shorter pre-cycle ride (and I figure 90ml can be diluted to a small Americano too if I just want to mix up brew methods a bit)

9. mid_gen

Capodecina

Git gud.

Learn2Tamp.

Etc. :D

10. jpaul

Capodecina

maybe - had clocked below - pro barista weren't using them on small cups because spraying is too frequent , so, kings new clothes -
    just on big cups, like earlier comments where the extra clearance is needed
    The Naked Bottomless Portafilter

11. Irish_Tom

Capodecina

Missed out on this by a matter of minutes yesterday on FB Marketplace — gutted!

[​IMG]

12. Raymond Lin

Capo Crimine

£35 ?! That is the older (better) one too. He is like missing a zero off that.

13. LuckyBenski

Soldato

Damn! I caught a similar deal once... I wanted a grinder, spotted that Bodum up as a freebie with a Delonghi ICO310 for £35. Jumped on it for the grinder, but had a good couple of years out of the espresso machine too. Bargain however you looked at it!

14. Irish_Tom

Capodecina

My thoughts exactly!

Nice catch. :)

I will continue to keep an eye out for a deal but I'd be amazed if anything that good comes up again, especially as it was literally (and I mean, literally) around the corner. <sigh>

15. Hedge

Capodecina

16. jpaul

Capodecina

Like the previous gaggia, lower than ebay typical price, and, if you can see/collect it without putting gallons of petrol in the car, could be a bargain,
    plus, with charity, the option to take it back immediately if it had issues.

Black friday damp squib Other than Rave etc. mailing out black friday vouchers didn't see any black friday coffee deals eg breville.

17. Irish_Tom

Capodecina

That is a decent deal, but a round-trip from Cornwall to Essex means it's a no-go for me. :)

18. Hedge

Capodecina

Fair one! Hah.

19. neoboy

Capodecina

So actually fancy an Aeropress, both for home use and to take on hikes with me as be nice to have a decent coffee. Assume I'll want to go for the newer Go Travel version unless it makes worse coffee than the original?

20. LuckyBenski

Soldato

I'd check James Hoffman's video. I think he ended up preferring the original. It's pretty compact already, unless you're desperate for those last few CCs of bag space.